Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?

Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?

I got an offer to trade my Scrambler 1200 XE for a 2007 KTM 950 SE plus cash. If I was going to trade I’d rather go for something that is a lot lighter than the Scrambler instead of only slightly lighter… I know the 950 will be a lot better off-road than the Scrambler, but I feel like a smaller bike would open up many more day riding options in my area, and I am coming to terms with the idea that I just will not have many opportunities for multi day trips until my kids are older. On the other hand, the 950 SE is a bike that I have always lusted after…

Anyway, anyone here owned/ridden one? Is it worth owning in central MA with no time to to get far from home? I am pretty happy with the Scrambler’s off-road performance, but again I don’t feel like there are that many big bike friendly locations in day riding range… Do I want a 15 year old carbureted bike with 3 times the mileage of my current bike? I’d be getting cash in the deal too, something in the $4000 range… I don’t know. I love my bike, but seriously tempted.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Re: Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?

My mindset is, you can always sell the KTM in this market, if you’ve always lusted over it…

And if you regret it, you can always buy another Scrambler 1200..

Sorry I can’t help with the dirt part of the equation .

Your park avenue leads to..

I haven't owned either bike, and I'm not sure what your current riding style is (dirt vs street, etc) but I wouldn't make that trade unless you like wrenching on bikes (which sounds like you wont with the whole kid situation). I think the Scrambler has a ton more versatility for road riding and shouldn't give you any surprises anytime soon, but I'm also the guy that takes N+1 a little far.

TLDR: Keep scrambler, buy smaller dirty bike

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Yeah I’ve come around.

Look at the luggage options!

Have u decatted your XE?

Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?-bdea60e1-f67c-4ca3-8c51-946fd9989f5c

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Yeah I’ve come around.

Look at the luggage options!

Have u decatted your XE?

Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?-bdea60e1-f67c-4ca3-8c51-946fd9989f5c
    I have a decat, but didn’t think it made all that much difference. Or rather, it moved where the heat was hitting me to a less comfortable place, even if it wasn’t quite as hot. Right now I’m running slash cut pipes, so I put the cat back on and this is somehow the coolest the exhaust has been for me. I’m holding onto the decat in case I decide to change pipes agin, since the slash cuts are a little obnoxious, especially riding around in the woods where there are hikers shooting me dirty looks.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I haven't owned either bike, and I'm not sure what your current riding style is (dirt vs street, etc) but I wouldn't make that trade unless you like wrenching on bikes (which sounds like you wont with the whole kid situation). I think the Scrambler has a ton more versatility for road riding and shouldn't give you any surprises anytime soon, but I'm also the guy that takes N+1 a little far.

TLDR: Keep scrambler, buy smaller dirty bike

Yeah, Ideally I’d add a DRZ400 or even better a KTM 500 or Husky 501, but I don’t think I could afford any of those the way the market looks right now. If I was going to trade the Scrambler for anything it would ideally be a mid-to-large fairly capable dual sport and maybe an 05-10 Speed Triple or a Tiger or Sprint…

The Scrambler is probably a little better than an Africa Twin off-road, I’d say. So, pretty good for a 500 lb bike. I do get a little in my head worrying about damaging it if I drop it, it’s so pretty. Also, the way it sits on the ground it’s pretty tough to get the leverage to get it back upright solo.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

I do end up getting way more paved miles in than I’d like, the only half-decent unpaved place I’ve found to ride close to me is the Rutland prison camps.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I have a decat, but didn’t think it made all that much difference. Or rather, it moved where the heat was hitting me to a less comfortable place, even if it wasn’t quite as hot. Right now I’m running slash cut pipes, so I put the cat back on and this is somehow the coolest the exhaust has been for me. I’m holding onto the decat in case I decide to change pipes agin, since the slash cuts are a little obnoxious, especially riding around in the woods where there are hikers shooting me dirty looks.
    Wow glad I asked!! I thought it was a no brainer cuz it “cuts the heat”, which even in this heat wave I’m only feeling on my upper shin of my right leg….

As opposed to my entire ass on the 09 R1.

You just saved me time and money kid, come grab some brews.

Lifer

If you want to feel like your riding a Scrambler 1200XE, but neutered… get a drz400.

That’s based off a quick ride on a friend.

But then again, you’re riding a $6,000ish street legal dirt bike off road, not a $17,000 street bike, so I can see the appeal of the drz.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Yeah, Ideally I’d add a DRZ400 or even better a KTM 500 or Husky 501, but I don’t think I could afford any of those the way the market looks right now. If I was going to trade the Scrambler for anything it would ideally be a mid-to-large fairly capable dual sport and maybe an 05-10 Speed Triple or a Tiger or Sprint…

The Scrambler is probably a little better than an Africa Twin off-road, I’d say. So, pretty good for a 500 lb bike. I do get a little in my head worrying about damaging it if I drop it, it’s so pretty. Also, the way it sits on the ground it’s pretty tough to get the leverage to get it back upright solo.
    Anyone owned a KTM 950 SE?-42bb2fcb-4596-4d09-82df-db86cb33903e

Not fun

Wow glad I asked!! I thought it was a no brainer cuz it “cuts the heat”, which even in this heat wave I’m only feeling on my upper shin of my right leg….

As opposed to my entire ass on the 09 R1.

You just saved me time and money kid, come grab some brews.
    Almost everyone else swears by the decat, maybe my bike is just odd. Once I swapped I felt the radiator fan was blowing scorchingly hot air onto my inner thigh. Much worse than the calf heat I was feeling before, especially since I’m always wearing pretty high boots.

Is your bike a ‘22? They moved the cat into the end cans for the ‘22, so a you’re not likely to have the same calf heat. A decat for you is just swapping to any other end can, including older stock end cans. They fit perfectly.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

If you want to feel like your riding a Scrambler 1200XE, but neutered… get a drz400.

That’s based off a quick ride on a friend.

But then again, you’re riding a $6,000ish street legal dirt bike off road, not a $17,000 street bike, so I can see the appeal of the drz.

I’ve ridden a DRZ400SM and thought the S would probably be adequate off-road, which is where it would spend most of its time. If I picked one up I’d definitely add a somewhat sporty street bike to take over street duty.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s