Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

let me ask those who owns 900 and plus bikes.

I Dance With Will

Question let me ask those who owns 900 and plus bikes.

why?

Have you all out ride the 600 class bike?

Stoneman, you went and got the 1000 after your 600 crash because you feel you out ride it? does the c rash give you enough skills?

IF you're mature enough, responsible person, but havent out ride the 600 then whats wrong with having extra power? I'm trying to understand the real reason. I think there's more to just being concern about a dumb riders giving everyone a bad name, not to mention insurance increase. I mean if you're irresponsible riders you're gonna hurt yourself in 250. no?

I bet some of you on those 900 plus powers haven't out ride the 600. The question still remains, why did you go for more power? is it the same idea of owning a 400 plus HP corvetts and just knowing you have that much power under the hood is a good feeling?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

just in case you dont know why i throw out the question above. I'm getting the impression that only when you outride the 600 bike and only then you can own a higher class.

"fuckit!"

well I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I didn't upgrade to a bigger bike until the end of my second season, and granted it happened after I crashed my ZX6e into the front of an oncoming station wagon mid corner 2 feet over the center line. But when I did go bigger, I slowed way down until I got the feel of the bike. Granted it was only up to a ZX7R but it was much more of an agresive bike than I had .My reasoning was to have more power to carry a passenger. Shortly after getting the new bike I took the MSF experienced riders course, which helped out drastically in my riding ability, style , etc........

I am looking to go even bigger now, for more power, not for speed, but to be able to carry a passenger and more luggage for longer trips, more of a sport tourer than an all out sport bike.

I will say this though when I did get more power I was very tempted to see how much more I had and like every guy out there does, I tested it out, pushing my limits on the bike to see what it can do top speed, fast in a corner, etc. But your best bet is if you are going to go bigger, take it slow, and Most Definately take an ERC course............!

Not to be an ass but there are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed and those that will crash. So take it easy with the "more power" and minimize your damage.

Everyone here that has crashed will tell you that it sucks when it happens, and most often you learn from it, and more often than not it was avoidable in the first place. We hate to see people get hurt and like to help people avoid it. Go big because you are ready for more responsibility not because it looks kewl to the ladies, although that is important too..............

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

oops I just saw the 2nd post, you go bigger not because you out grew the 600 but because your skill level has progressed and you are ready for more.

Everyone will progress differently, it is directly related to mileage, the more you ride the better you will be, (obviously).

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

When your ready to upgrade that exhaust on that 7R, I have a set of Muzzy headers for $50.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Thanks, but I like the quiet stealth mode of the stocker, besides, I will probably be trading or selling to get a more coumfy bike for sport touring....

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

hey man, stoneman had a RF900, not a 600, i had the RF600. the little bitch one.

anyways, i upgraded this year from my little bitch 600 to my mean 1 liter v-twin, against many's recomendations and i have been VERY careful with the new bike, and it still punish's me every now and then with an unexpected wheelie or something like that.

i know i cant even come close to riding the wheels off my old 600, but i was bored with it anyways. it was too much of a dog in the straights and too much work to keep up with everyone with all the shifting and shit it take to get an underpowered little toy to go quickly.
    Finally... it fucking sucked big donkey ballz when i was carrying my g/f on the back. (which i do pretty often)
    all in all, i take it real easy on my new bike and keep it safe. i havent even considered trying to keep-up on any fast rides yet with that thing. its real powerful and i like to stay in one piece without rods in my leg. so with some restraint you can probably handle a bigger bike safely... but self control is pretty key and its been real hard for me to not whine that thing out. i love it and wouldn't even consider going back.

one thing to consider with this opinion... my old 600... was/is a real DOG!!!! Nothing that could even compare with the new F4i's. i have ridden a friends a couple times, and those things are a blast to ride. his screamed for a 600. i really could't believe what a bitch my 600 was after havin ridden one of them.

ok i am done sharing now. go back about your business.

Real riders shine in the corners! Regardless of the bike they are on.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Originally posted by Rye
    Real riders shine in the corners! Regardless of the bike they are on.
    That pretty much sums it up. It's not the bike it's the rider.
    Most streetriders can't outride most bike's 600cc and higher, they just make 'em so damn good these days. However, it is so much easier to learn how to be a good rider on a smaller bike that it's a shame to see somebody tied to a Horsepower number and not getting the most from what they've got. I guess why your getting so many responses is that you've got like the ultimate bike for less experienced riders. Lot's of brand new riders don't think they're ready for the CBR600f4i. You don't have to ride it until your "outriding it" (that won't happen for years). Just use the CBR to become a skilled rider.

I Dance With Will

Talking let me ask those who owns 900 and plus bikes.

would you believe if i told you im more than ready for this cbr600 even for a very short period time. why? , i just feel it.

let me ask some more questions. how do you measure ones skill on the street? how do you know who has enough skill and whos not? is it solely measure on how long they've been on the bike? if so how long exactly? 1 yr? 2 yrs? 5? 10? if a normal person, not a retard, have taken an advance courses in one season would you approve of the person to have enough skill to handle a 900 bike?

sorry for to many questions. im just looking for some facts i guess.

"fuckit!"

This might sound strange, but if you are a talented rider you don't care what class you ride. I ride a RC-51 and just bought a ZX-6R for a race bike because it is a easier bike to ride on the track (lighter). You can be on the the gas all the time with the smaller bikes. On the bigger bikes you have to careful on when and where you start putting on the power. If you just ride on the street a bigger bike is nice, because you don't have to rev the shit out of it to get the power on. If you buy a bigger bike it's not like you are going to be a better or faster rider. On the other hand since you have been on a bike before its not like you will get on the bigger bike and say "I can't ride this thing it's to fast". It just seems to me most street riders who buy the bigger bikes what the power so the can keep up with the other riders, or so they can do wheelies easier. Like I said before if you are a good rider you could ride a EX-500 and stay up with some one on a GSXR-1000 (as long as you aren't doing a drag race together).

all i can say is that if/when i get another bike, it'll be another sv-650....

i absolutely love that machine, and it's got a lot to teach me.
    -t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

I went up because we ride 2 up quite a lot. We also don't want to wate any time.

The bikes themselves are different. Mine is light, nimble, and holy-moly has some power.

It's not top speed, more the acceleration and the ablility to hammer it without stressing the engine that attracts me.

I've been on bikes for 28yrs. and asked the wife if I had the maturity and skill to buy what I did; she said yes to both and I'm happy with my purchase.

Oh, then there's the Oh-Ah factor. It's a lot of fun to ride up the beach at 30, fun to blast around the track too.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

let me ask some more questions. how do you measure ones skill on the street? how do you know who has enough skill and whos not? is it solely measure on how long they've been on the bike? if so how long exactly? 1 yr? 2 yrs? 5? 10? if a normal person, not a retard, have taken an advance courses in one season would you approve of the person to have enough skill to handle a 900 bike?
    I know plenty of people with many years of riding experience who I would never let ride my ZX9R. Some people will always suck at riding becuase they have learned to enjoy riding poorly and don't want to put any effort into getting better. That's OK by me. I know one person who is a very mature 24 years old, has been riding for one year (SV650S) and I would be happy to let him ride my 9. I taught him how to ride on my wife's old Ninja 250. After that I let him ride my Bandit 400 for awhile. He then took the MSF beginner course and passed it easily. He's not fast but he has very good control and restraint. He was mature enough to say "no thanks" when I offered to let him ride my 9, not because he thought he could not handle it, but because he knew he'd be disappointed with his SV's power afterward. Smart kid. Perhaps you are like him. The fact that you are questioning this board says a lot about your maturity.

If you have been riding a 600 and are bored with it, perhaps it's time to buy something with more power. Are you bored with your bike? Boredom would be (to me) the best indication that it's time to move up. I have been riding for years and my 9 still amazes me with it's power. If I ever grow bored with it, Muzzys will be getting a check for $1200 so that I can increase the displacement to 1000cc with their big bore kit. That said, I doubt I'll tire of it. It screams in stock form. I rarely use all of it's power.

If you think you need to ride a big bore sport bike solely because you feel it's the obvious final destination for every sport bike rider, you are mistaken. 600s are overkill for every type of street riding except two-up touring. Two-up touring sucks on a liter class bike too though. That's why I still have a Concours. That bike excels at two-up all day rides. Hustling it through the twistys is great fun, in it's own way. It's about as quick as an SV650 but not nearly so nimble in the corners. I have left a 2001 GSXR750 behind on it through a long series of corners. The guy on the GSXR did not know how to ride. Very embarassing for him. Kills me on the straights though... like that takes any skill.

Whatever you choose to do, if you have not read Keth Code's book, Twist of the Wrist II, do so. Should be required reading for every rider. It's supposed to be a sequel but it stands quite well on it's own. TOTW is good reading too, just not as good as TOTWII.

Lifer

Kham,

Whatever you think, you're not even close to ready to move up. I gave Brent a hard time, but as far as I can tell, he was considerably better on his RF600 than you are. I never said anything to you, cause I thought Stoneman was going to, but you freaked me out on the ride in November.

At some point there were about 5-6 of us after the group got split up at the gas station early on. Degsy and Gerard were in front of you IIRC, and myself, Stoneman, and TLRMan were behind you... Degsy and Gerard took off when we hit some twisties, and I watched you try to keep up. You were *all* over the road, in the wrong lane setting up for the corners, going wide, nailing the throttle on the straights and slamming on the brakes for the corners. I don't think I saw you lean the bike over more than like 10-15 degrees.

If you'd had more experience you could have gone quite a bit faster without even bothering to accelerate or brake. This is my 2nd year, I was following you and the only reason I needed to brake was to keep from hitting you from behind, I could have passed you on my bike, which was probably the lowest powered one on that ride out of all 30 people or so. And the guys behind me could have gone right past me, and they wouldn't have needed their big HP to do it.

If you get a liter bike and ride like that you're going to high side it or something really nasty. Just hang onto the 600 and save your money for track days next year. If you're really that bent on going fast you're going be in heaven at the track and not care about having a faster bike.

Ben

o, and please don't take offense to the above post.... We all started just like you... All we are saying is "Its not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast" We all are still learning.

bling bling

oh yeah, the other thing is I am still learning every day. I am not the fast person out there, but I don't mind carving corners either. While I am no Angel, I don't enjoy passing cars in no passing with cars coming directly at me either.

I just enjoy riding, especially when you pass..... after following a slow ass group of Hardleys

Last edited by snowborder; 12-13-02 at 10:58 AM.
    2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Originally posted by twrayinma
    all i can say is that if/when i get another bike, it'll be another sv-650....

i absolutely love that machine, and it's got a lot to teach me.
    -t

I felt the same way, although I like everyone has said, struggled to keep up with a BUSA TLS RC51 and so on....... So after my crash I looked for something close to the SV and I found it in the HAWK I ride it like I rode the SV cept a little faster.

It all depends on you, what you want and what you feel you can handle, so keep it safe and have fun

Re: let me ask those who owns 900 and plus bikes.

Originally posted by Kham
    why?

Stoneman, you went and got the 1000 after your 600 crash because you feel you out ride it? does the c rash give you enough skills?

Crashing does not build riding skill, just crashing skill.

I mean if you're irresponsible riders you're gonna hurt yourself in 250. no?
    Yes, but you won't die.

I.E.;
    Litre bikes have the ability to enter a croner at 100, do you have the ability to pilot it through at 100?

As technology advances our machine's abilities, the skill sets required also advances. This makes the learning curve harder to negotiate.
    Give yourself some time bro, we want you alive.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I Dance With Will

thank you all

skill - i wouldn't want to compare mine with anybody whos been riding longer than i have. i do have that MSF certificate before i even touch the bike, mature thing to do ain't it?

the point about going fast, i don't believe i mention anywhere about going fast around the corner. i said i can handle it comfortablely winthin my limit. you know what it is? it's the G force. i want to feel that G force. i'll get to the cornering skill soon. i was bored w/ my twin turbo 3000gt and couldn't afford anything better. getting into bike seems like a good idea.

ben, it's good to have someone telling you what you did wrong. i know about the outside inside entrance and yes i still have to work on it a lot. But if you don't know the road you're gonna slow down a lot more and be all over the lane, there's only one car lane. you wouldn't try to pass someone around the corner would you? there's something in the ride rule about getting into a single line, wheather you can ride fast or not, when at the twist. i also notice everyone was all over the lane sometime or another and i didn't see anyone leaning as much. your little icon there didn't look like you were leaning your body at all. before that second stop at gas station, Jay was way way behind about a mile or two, but that doesn't say anything to me about his skills. he's probably making sure no one is left behind.

one other thing. the experts seem to disagree with counter steer and body steer. in one article i've read one school would not teach or allow you to body steer. there's an article in the Sports bike mag of this month asking some pros how they steer the bike. they all said pretty much the same thing, use both. to them it comes naturally.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

for the record

I'm not gonna run out tonight and get a liter bike since everyone is so against it even if i say im responsible rider and i hear ya.

the thought of this group not wanting to ride w/ me if i had a litre bike had occured to me since i started asking all these questions because you already know where im coming from. when i first show up w/ that f4i, you didn't know if i could handle that thing or not right? because you didn't tell me to take a hike. is there a minimum ride experience for this group that i missed?

im not being sensitive. just wanted to know the general opionions which you have given so much already.

ok ill shutup now.

"fuckit!"

You never have to shut up. Keep asking.

There is no real skill limit, just sensibility limt. My wife learned to ride within the last two years. I ride with her not worrying that she will lose control and take me out too.

Kham, I look to pass in the corners. Don't ever get used to riding beside me and assume otherwise. I always assume someone is on my sides in a corner; I don't break my line because of this.

More than one of my "motorcycle internet friends" has passed away. Zombie must have done a little soul searching after selling a machine to someone who killed themselves with it.

This is part of the reason we don't log on and say "Hell Yeah! Go for it! I've got one and I'ts GREAT!"
    It would get too bloody.

My advice is to take a track class. You won't believe how far the limits of your bike will go! It opened my eyes!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Re: thank you all

Originally posted by Kham
    i said i can handle it comfortablely winthin my limit. you know what it is? it's the G force. i want to feel that G force. i'll get to the cornering skill soon.
    Learn cornering skills FIRST. It WILL save your ass. Eventually during your riding career you will have an experience that scare's the b'jesus outa ya. If you're prepared and have good cornering and reaction skills, you might just get away with your hide. Nobody can predict when that experience will occur. It may be the next time you get on the bike. Many racers who have tremendous ability on a bike won't ride the street b/c of its unpredictability.

G's are fun , but ask any accomplished sport rider and you'll hear "Cornering's much better". And yep, there's plenty of G's to be found there too. If your not feeling awesome G's on the CBR, you definitely don't know how to ride it well enough. If you trust our judgments, hold off for a while before replacing the CBR, and really focus on rider training through discussions, books, ERC's, track-days, etc... you'll eventually understand why we're all over your shit when you talk about upgrading. Hell, I got like 1/4 of the experience of most of these folks and it just blew my mind when I saw what you were contemplating. And don't take any offense, we'd like to see you improve and enjoy riding, but you gotta stay healthy to do that. Fuck here I am babbling again, I need a Beet's course in brevity.
    Later, -Jack

'02 Duc MS4
    "Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations"

Still, the point remains. Chip, who works for Ron Ayers Motorsports, told me about a customer that lied to him regaurding his son's skill level while buying a big bore sportbike. The kid took out three cars in the dealership parking lot, totaled the bike.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

i think it's kind of an "innocent until proven guilty" thing.

everyone knows i'm slow... but they also know i don't ride like i'm fast, don't try to keep up. i know that someone'll be waiting if the group loses me... and i also try to guage the general pace a ride's gonna be, and avoid the "fast" ones.
    my way of staying outta trouble.

or... trying to, anyway.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Originally posted by criminalspeed
    My advice is to take a track class. You won't believe how far the limits of your bike will go! It opened my eyes!
    Well said. Take your bike to the track and you won't believe what it'll do for you. No matter how boring or lame you thought it was beforehand, you'll be humping its leg and kissing it for weeks afterwards....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast