Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pace when meeting other bikes

Pace when meeting other bikes

I have found that when running into other bikes while out on a ride, things tend to get a little testosterone driven sometimes. Maybe that guy behind you is riding a little close and so you in turn feel the need to pick up the pace. Or, that guy in front of you picks up the pace and you feel the need to keep up. Then, before long, you are riding at or near your limits.

Well, today, just coming home from the store with some steak tips and a couple bottles of wine, I had a bike behind me. I took my usual back roads from Newmarket to Epping at my usual pace. The bike behind didn't push me, and just let me ride my ride. I tend to pick a gear and a speed thats appropriate for the road I'm on and just stick with it. No need to go 80 in the straights, and then back to 50 for the corners. I find rhythm in the "pace".

We finally got to a stop sign where this bike could pull up beside me and introduce himself. He commented on how much he enjoyed our little jaunt.
    So, thanks to Scott from Newfields on the Buell. It was a pleasure riding with you!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Re: Pace when meeting other bikes

I don't bother with group rides anymore, simply cause of the poor habits of others, most notably following distance

I always leave 3 second, seems like every time I go on a group ride and I leave a 3 second gap, the rider behind me thinks I'm going slow, so I get passed only to have that rider park it in the next corner

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

The older I get, the more I enjoy riding alone and letting other bikes pass me (if that's what they wish to do.)

I agree about the following distances Randy, one of my (great many) pet peeves.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I ride alone most of the time. almost 8,000 miles this year, 7,400 of them alone.

2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    I ride alone most of the time. almost 8,000 miles this year, 7,400 of them alone.
    Me too. That said, you strike me as the kind of person I'd probably enjoy riding with...

3 seconds is WAY too far away for any good GoPro video.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I enjoy everything from get arrested fast to slow down and enjoy the scenery although as I get older I've notice that I have slowed down my pace considerably due to the impact losing my license would have.. I almost always ride alone but I highly enjoy catching someone and following them for a while when they know I'm there regardless of the pace they choose. I think the impromptu rides where you meet someone new who is just out enjoying the day can be some of the most fun.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-27-13 at 09:00 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I will follow another rider for a bit, but not pass them, if I come upon them. Conversely, I dislike if a rider I dont know starts following me. I dont know if they have any skill and Im always afraid they could crash into me or not know how to turn their bike.

I usually tend to slow down and not pass riders I come up on as I don't want them to think I'm trying to race or something. Unless its the highway, then I'll pass but only on the left. I pass cars in my bike and car in any lane. Even though I ride, I still see bikes as more fragile and potentially prone to driver error more, so I don't want to spook the rider or goat them into doing something dangerous because I don't know their skill.

I actively tell myself to leave more space for bikes but it's hard when a group of folks are plodding along at under, or exactly at, the speed limit. Whenever I pass them I am always thinking to myself "well here goes, re-enforcing the stereotype so they can hate sport bikes"

Mostly I just ride with whatever I'm comfortable with. I guess this would be "the pace". I've passed enough bikes that probably went "what an asshole" and I've moved over for plenty of bikes. If someone is creeping up on me in corners it's a pretty good indication they're faster than me.

I had a bunch of Joe Rockets in front of me while on my antique Beemer toaster twin. I didn't know them. 600cc's and Kerkers exhaust and lots of blipping the throttle. When a corner came I passed all of them. In retaliation they screamed by me on the straight. Then came three more corners. The old guy did it to the kids again. Bye Bye

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Me too. That said, you strike me as the kind of person I'd probably enjoy riding with...
    I've ridden with you, and I've ridden with Bill. I think you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I enjoy everything from get arrested fast to slow down and enjoy the scenery although as I get older I've notice that I have slowed down my pace considerably due to the impact losing my license would have.. I almost always ride alone but I highly enjoy catching someone and following them for a while when they know I'm there regardless of the pace they choose. I think the impromptu rides where you meet someone new who is just out enjoying the day can be some of the most fun.
    That sounds like a stalking to me ...

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    That sounds like a stalking to me ...
    Stalking is when I wait in the woods for them to leave their house.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    3 seconds is WAY too far away for any good GoPro video.
    riding with someone you know and trust for a video is not the same thing as a less experienced rider passing you on a straight then holding you up in the corners

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Sarcasm, Randy.

About a month ago I was riding into Boston to meet friends for dinner and at the Eliot Bridge going onto Soldiers Field Rd, I caught up to some hipster-looking guy on a cafe'd out '80s UJM twin that reminded me a lot of my old XS400. I looked over and gave him a nod, but I had already dismissed him in my mind for the flannel shirt, skinny jeans, and chuck taylors.

Light goes green and he takes off and to my surprise, HANGS OFF into the first curve! I laugh to myself and power on by after a couple of turns and proceed to motor along at a pretty good clip, picking my way through light traffic. When I looked in my mirror at BU, he was right there with me! I was so surprised and impressed. We honked and waved at each other as he exited onto Arlington St. and I continued towards MGH.

Sure, I turned it up a notch when I saw him, but that's part of the fun, right? Sharing an experience with a select few.

Last edited by golden chicken; 07-28-13 at 12:30 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.