Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

H-D Pan America

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

H-D Pan America

super excited for this bike.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Re: H-D Pan America

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Looks kinda like an off-road version of the Road Glide. Maybe Off-Road Glide?

Although I'm kinda digging the direction they're going with the Bronx, also slated for 2020. The Street line did nothing and I'm seeing used ones all over the place for silly short money.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

yeah, well the intent of the streets was to grab those new riders right out of the course

Dirt Glide

Gotta say that I hope this bike signals a significant change in Harley's direction.

That said, this bike doesn't seem to offer anything that isn't already on offer from numerous other adventure tourers; I'm not really sure why anyone is excited for it. The only upside I can see to this bike over, say, a GS, a KTM or a Tiger/Explorer is a dealer on practically every corner. But even if there's a HD dealer on practically every corner, who's to say they'll actually be able to work on it? This might be the V-Rod all over again.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

i dont expect it to be better than everything else, but if its on the playing field with the well established brands in this market then id be happy with that. its probably just because i want to see it shut up the people that hate HD just because its the thing to do. im not brand loyal to anyone but to see something new come from someone thats never done this before (like the BMW S1k) and have it potentially be a home run is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Gotta say that I hope this bike signals a significant change in Harley's direction.
    i never get this statement as HD continues to sell more bikes than anyone so really theres no reason for them to change anything really since its clearly working and has been for some time.

I don't have enough information to really talk any shit, good or bad, so I'll just say this: it's ugly.
    that's never stopped me before, for the record.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i never get this statement as HD continues to sell more bikes than anyone so really theres no reason for them to change anything really since its clearly working and has been for some time.
    It'll continue working until the baby boomers are dead or too frail to ride, so maybe the next 10-20 years. Spend any time on Reddit, which is extremely representative of millennials and gen Z'ers, and all you'll really find among motorcycle enthusiasts is people who hate Harley because of the image that they're ridden by fat old men.

I'm sure it's a small cross section, but it's a pretty common sentiment. You said it yourself: "its probably just because i want to see it shut up the people that hate HD just because its the thing to do." Harley hate is the in-thing right now, because they represent an aging demographic at a time where generational warfare is on the rise.

So yeah, that's why I hope this bike and the "Bronx" (terrible name FWIW) represent a shift for Harley to get away from so heavily associating with old-man lifestyle.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 12-09-19 at 04:09 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    It'll continue working until the baby boomers are dead or too frail to ride, so maybe the next 10-20 years. Spend any time on Reddit, which is extremely representative of millennials and gen Z'ers, and all you'll really find among motorcycle enthusiasts is people who hate Harley because of the image that they're ridden by fat old men.

I'm sure it's a small cross section, but it's a pretty common sentiment. You said it yourself: "its probably just because i want to see it shut up the people that hate HD just because its the thing to do." Harley hate is the in-thing right now, because they represent an aging demographic at a time where generational warfare is on the rise.

So yeah, that's why I hope this bike and the "Bronx" (terrible name FWIW) represent a shift for Harley to get away from so heavily associating with old-man lifestyle.
    You're forgetting that interests tend to shift with age. Those who have no interest in a Harley in their younger years might have a change of heart as they get older.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You're forgetting that interests tend to shift with age. Those who have no interest in a Harley in their younger years might have a change of heart as they get older.
    ^^^ This

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Any published specs on it? The design looks really good. Like it looks like a European company did the engineering. Wonder how heavy it will be.

And no fake engine cooling fines or springer front end? WTF.

THIS.

when i was young and only cared about going fast and being reckless, yeah, hardly movingsons were fucking stupid. why would anyone want one of those? then my desire for what i wanted from a ride changed. i began to be willing to sacrifice performance for creature comforts and even though i was no longer doing double (or even triple) the speed limit on my favorite back roads, i still had just as much fun doing 10mph over on a slower heavier bike that allowed me to do 400 or 500 mile days without needing a backyotomy when i was done.

i will say that HDs biggest mistake was ignoring the Gen Xers. truthfully they arent the only ones either. everywhere you look its Boomer this and Millennial that. in the middle is Gen X, in their prime buying years with barely anyone marketing to them. i personally think they are the reason the ADV market has boomed in the past 5-10 years. is HD too late to try and lure the Gen Xers in after ignoring them for so long? who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Any published specs on it? The design looks really good. Like it looks like a European company did the engineering. Wonder how heavy it will be.

And no fake engine cooling fines or springer front end? WTF.
    little by little at this time. claimed 145+ hp and 90+Tq. weight isnt released yet but if they can keep it under 600lbs and then keep the price under $25k then they may have a real home run.

I can confirm from the product page on the HD website that it has, in fact, been "engineered for full-send" so rest easy boys.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

little by little at this time. claimed 145+ hp and 90+Tq. weight isnt released yet but if they can keep it under 600lbs and then keep the price under $25k then they may have a real home run.
    Yep, if they can keep the price and weight down, it should be of interest to some people. I think the GS dresses out in the low $20k?. My ktm was $17K.

I would love more American made motorcycles, specifically dirty and racey toys. Hoping the biggest manufacturer in the country would build something I would actually enjoy is perfectly reasonable, even if their sales are good.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

could they not have made a better looking bike? that is butt fuggily, Nice to see they moved away from the fake air cooled fins though. at least they are making an attempt to bring new people into the brand. Hope the dealers support it better they did Buell and give it a chance to grow mkt. share.

Last edited by MUZ720; 12-09-19 at 06:36 PM.

Most sales in U.S., so here’s why they are worried.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-09-19 at 06:45 PM.

overall, nice looking except that FUUGLY headlight concept reminiscent of an 80's rectangular

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Businesses can't bank on the assumption that a demographic they have never bothered marketing to are going to magically "come around" some day and embrace their brand. The Harley image was cultivated from youth, look at any portrayal of the 50's and 60's in media and all you'll see is how young baby boomers wanted to get out on the open road on their hog. That nostalgia plays extremely heavily into sales today. There is no nostalgic reason for Gen Xers, Millennials and Gen Zers to want to ride a Harley. If anything, the nostalgia of Japanese race bikes in the 80's and 90's is coming back in full force right now. Just look at the Katana and the new V-Strom as perfect examples of that.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lol.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Is it over $2k?

Then nope.

Hi, I'm a Gen-X'er and want to retire someday. Lol.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The brand definitely has a milennial following and Harley is aware of it. I'll point to models like the FXD-R and the Low Rider S as evidence of this.

I bought a 99 Super Glide two years ago. As someone who is not familiar with Harley's, I've been doing quite a bit of research as I look into suspension upgrades etc. Nearly all of the worth-while information I've come accross has come from this milennial following. As a result, I've found myself immersed in the demographic as I rely on them for info. I'm actually very impressed. They know what they want and their preferences are legit (as opposed to the boomers who just want something that's big and "cool"). They are obsessed with the FXRs and FXDXs. They want Dyna character and decent handling (relatively speaking).

Really, Harley has hit the nail on the head with the 2020 Low Rider S and the FXD-R, but milllenials don't have that kind of money. If Harley put these models at a much lower price point they would have better success. Also, marketing them along side the old ones as some sort of revival would probably help too.

Harley has been becoming more and more popular with the younger crowd as of late. I'm seeing far less young kids on supersports, and far more 20-something hipsters on sporty's then graduating to Dyna's in their mid-late 20's before eventually being sucked into the bagger scene.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast