Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Can a parent school me on Razor electric dirt bikes?

rides bikes

Can a parent school me on Razor electric dirt bikes?

My 7 year old nephew has been hot for a dirt bike ever since I took him to some races this summer. His parents aren't into dirt biking at all, but I was gonna get him one of the Razor electric bikes for Christmas. Couple questions:
    - Seem like they all say 13+; is that legit? They seem tiny and he's a pretty big kid
    - Any recommendations on models? Are there any that you can govern the speed on?

Anything else I'm not considering?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Can a parent school me on Razor electric dirt bikes?

This would make you the coolest uncle ever...

https://osetbikes.com/us/bikes/oset-mx-2/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

rides bikes

I知 not that great of an uncle. If he falls in love with it I値l have no problem spending big money. Right now $300 seems good.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

We had two of them (MX350 and 650) and they became really popular with other kids in the neighborhood so we had a “gang” of four or five for a while. Even upgraded one with a 36V LIFeP04 battery, which doubled range and reduced weight. The controller will apparently handle 48V but that would have increased top speed. Then we donated it to a school, who used it to create an autonomous vehicle. Purchased on Amazon or maybe WalMart.

If you look around you can buy them used for $1-200, usually needing battery replacement. The batteries are just three 12V garden equipment batteries and can be purchased cheaply and it is simple to replace them. Be sure you get the charger. We also replaced freewheels, chains, motors, etc etc.

It might be my son’s favorite toy, ever. Bicycles and scooters are great but a powered bike gives them an additional sense of independence. The biggest problem we had was that pedestrians would tell them to get off the sidewalk and motorists to get on the sidewalk.

They were also used for towing, which could result in safety issues. Trailers included wheeled luggage, wagons, you name it.

Keep on top of the brakes, which are mechanical disks that need adjustment and pad replacement.

The kids were required to wear a BMX or skateboard helmet, safety glasses and gloves. No helmet and it got locked up for a few days: zero tolerance on that. We started with a full face dirt helmet, but had problems because the neighbors couldn’t see who was on them and would call the police (who repeatedly told them it was legal). The skateboard helmets seemed to work for the >20mph speeds.

BMX Helmets, Full-Face & Skate Style | Bell Helmets

Last edited by Garandman; 11-25-18 at 09:55 AM.

I bought one for my grandson. He loves it. The only issue is that the one I have doesn't have a rheostat throttle. It's an on and off switch. He can ride it like a champ and it goes pretty fast as it builds speed. Gas and coast is how he limits the speed.

There are better solutions out there now. Motorsports International near me in Auburn is selling these bikes. They come with a speed controller throttle that acts like a rheostat. They make two sizes. Here is the smallest.

2019 Stacyc 12EDrive Base | Motorsports International

Send cash... I need a track day

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We had two of them (MX350 and 650) and they became really popular with other kids in the neighborhood so we had a “gang” of four or five for a while. Even upgraded one with a 36V LIFeP04 battery, which doubled range and reduced weight. The controller will apparently handle 48V but that would have increased top speed. Then we donated it to a school, who used it to create an autonomous vehicle. Purchased on Amazon or maybe WalMart.

If you look around you can buy them used for $1-200, usually needing battery replacement. The batteries are just three 12V garden equipment batteries and can be purchased cheaply and it is simple to replace them. Be sure you get the charger. We also replaced freewheels, chains, motors, etc etc.

It might be my son’s favorite toy, ever. Bicycles and scooters are great but a powered bike gives them an additional sense of independence. The biggest problem we had was that pedestrians would tell them to get off the sidewalk and motorists to get on the sidewalk.

They were also used for towing, which could result in safety issues. Trailers included wheeled luggage, wagons, you name it.

Keep on top of the brakes, which are mechanical disks that need adjustment and pad replacement.

The kids were required to wear a BMX or skateboard helmet, safety glasses and gloves. No helmet and it got locked up for a few days: zero tolerance on that. We started with a full face dirt helmet, but had problems because the neighbors couldn’t see who was on them and would call the police (who repeatedly told them it was legal). The skateboard helmets seemed to work for the >20mph speeds.

BMX Helmets, Full-Face & Skate Style | Bell Helmets
    Thanks! Since you have had the 350 and 650, do you know if they both have the on/off style throttle mentioned below? I'd like to avoid that if possible. Also, between those two models, is the biggest difference the chassis size? Guessing the 650 has a slightly bigger battery too since it claims longer run time.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    This would make you the coolest uncle ever...

OSET MX-10 - OSET Bikes
    $3000?

The MX650 does have a variable throttle controller. Not sure if it is linear proportional or stepped as I haven't ridden one.

rides bikes

Cool, thank you! I actually just found that you can buy a replacement throttle and controller for the 350 that gives it the variability for $50, so I might go that route.

Let me know how you make out. I may do the same with my grandsons MX350

rides bikes

The Razor bikes are decent for the right size kids. I bought a used 24v Oset 12" model for 6 hundy. It has been super reliable and runs about an hour. The design and components are a good bit nicer than Razor - it's also easier to work on. My friend has an MX650 for his son but we have not drag raced them. The Oset is lighter too - about 70lbs, runs 18mph.

I like the idea of learning to ride standing up. My son is nine and has been riding it since age six.

Last edited by klp; 11-25-18 at 01:49 PM.

rides bikes

I致e got no doubt that the Osset is much better than the Razor, just not prepared to shell out the cash since I知 not convinced he値l love it. And if he does love it, he痴 big enough that he would probably want to be on a gas bike in a year or so. Plus, he lives 90 minutes from me, and his parents have no interest in riding, so not sure how much it値l get used.

Believe the main difference with 5he MX 650 was heavier springs.

There are some mini eBike forums with tons of info.

I bought my son a Razor MX400 a little over a year ago. I know it says "ages 13+" or whatever on the box, but no 13 year old would be comfortable riding a bike that small! It's just lawyer talk! My son is small for his age, we've met 4 year olds that are almost as tall! He loved the MX400 and rode it constantly. It's a great starter bike, but the downside is the recharge time. He has outgrown it and upgraded to a Honda CRF50 last month.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

rides bikes

Just bought an MX350 from Target. They were $175 for Cyber Monday, and I got the two year warranty for another ~$15. Also got the $50 throttle from eBay. Hopefully it all works out!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!