Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Parking lot practice

Parking lot practice

Where do you ladies go to practice (those of you who don't live on the track that is)

Assuming you don't want to squid it up but want to get out of traffic and test out tweaks on your bike, cornering, maybe a few wheelies... whatever. I've heard varying opinions on parking lots - I don't know what the laws are but when I first got my bike I would go to Cabela's at night and practice tight corners for hours. Then a cop showed up and just parked in front of me and watched... made me uncomfortable so I took off lol.

What would they even ticket you with? Trespassing or something?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

Re: Parking lot practice

I mess around in parking lots from time to time, but I'm the type that doesn't like an audience, and really don't want to bother anyone. So I usually only mess around off-hours when no one's around. Try to be conscious of near-by houses too, especially the ones you can't see through a thin layer of trees. Don't want to annoy them. I also don't stick around too long. I do something similar with a bicycle and I've had cops talk to me but never ask me to leave. In highschool, many uneventful evenings were spent hanging out in parking lots and cops would occasionally tell everyone to leave. I don't think I've heard a single one mention trespassing or arrest.

I know of a open-access lot near me painted with an MSF course. I practice there occasionally and no one seems to mind. I once showed up and a cop was parked in the corner. I rolled up and asked if he'd care and he seemed confused that I'd even ask.

I've always assumed its one of those things where the cop technically can't give you permission to use someone's private property. And the default now that they've made contact is that they're gonna have to discourage it. So I'd prefer not to be in that situation. But if a cop shows up, I'd approach them or stay put instead of riding away.

nedirtriders.com

Exactly how I feel - really don't want to be a nuisance or have people gawking. Couple of the reasons I like riding at night.

Keep hoping I'll stumble across a rogue track in some hidden parking lot on my 1am excursions, but so far no luck

I'm guessing the property owner would have to make a complaint for them to get involved. Walmart/Cabelas and other places let people basically camp out in their parking lots at night, so I'll probably continue to find a quiet nook in the back ..

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I've yet to find something suitable like a large parking lot not in a residential neighborhood or a desolate road that's not covered in sand or patches. Sound travels here on cape and the old people are quick with the fun police on speed dial.

Usually the parking lots that are used for MSF courses aren't used during the week nights. And there are lines and such already painted there. That's what I use.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I agree with Smutty. Find out where local MSF courses are held and use those lots if at all possible.

As far as the local LEO pulling up and watching, he probably had nothing better to do. Next time pull up to him and ask if there's a problem. You don't want to cause any trouble, but you are trying to be a better motorcyclist and are trying to do so in a safe way. Present it that way to him.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great idea, I think we have one about 45min. away, bit of a drive but worth checking out.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

What about a local mall parking lot? Maybe like a Sunday morning before the mall opens?

im very curious about the law on this one. especially in MA

I can't speak to MA statutes specifically in this case (and trying to read the MA statutes is like rubbing my eyes with sandpaper).

Generally... Places that are open to public access (stores, malls, event centers, etc.) are technically private property, but as they are accessible to the general public, unless otherwise posted. For a person to not be allowed there someone responsible for the property must request that they leave. The person then has the opportunity to leave the property under their own control. If they choose to not leave the property they can be charged with trespassing.

This is different than someone who opens a gate, or door (for example) to enter private property. In places that are not generally open to the public, one can be charged with trespass for being "where they shouldn't be" but there generally needs to be some sort of "obvious indicator" that they should not be there.

Again, generally. Not MA specific.

This is my experience. An open lot is fair game until asked to leave by the property owner. Now, If an officer asked me to leave, I would even though they have no right to do so. Arguing with them never ends well.

Not moto related, but I often overnight in an open lot that is privately owned. It is an incredible location and if it were publicly owned, I would never be vanning there.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 06-23-16 at 09:13 PM.
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I can't speak to MA statutes specifically in this case (and trying to read the MA statutes is like rubbing my eyes with sandpaper).

Generally... Places that are open to public access (stores, malls, event centers, etc.) are technically private property, but as they are accessible to the general public, unless otherwise posted. For a person to not be allowed there someone responsible for the property must request that they leave. The person then has the opportunity to leave the property under their own control. If they choose to not leave the property they can be charged with trespassing.

This is different than someone who opens a gate, or door (for example) to enter private property. In places that are not generally open to the public, one can be charged with trespass for being "where they shouldn't be" but there generally needs to be some sort of "obvious indicator" that they should not be there.

Again, generally. Not MA specific.
    That's always been my understanding. But time to check: "Whoever, without right enters or remains in or upon the dwelling house, buildings, boats or improved or enclosed land, wharf, or pier of another, or enters or remains in a school bus, as defined in section 1 of chapter 90, after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon, or in violation of a court order (..)" (Landlord/tenant situations are separately addressed) Source And a Boston lawyer's site which describes basically the same thing in case you want some interpretation.

However, I believe some states can enforce traffic laws in private property. I'd be specifically concerned about reckless driving. For example, CT calls out parking lots: Source (..) or in any parking area for ten cars or more or upon any private road on which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of section 14-218a or upon any school property recklessly, (..). Although they say it would have to endanger people other than the operator. You and the officer might disagree on whether anyone was at risk.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com