Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How much should I be paying for my first bike?

Re: How much should I be paying for my first bike?

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    until the girl you just picked up decides she wants to go for a ride, and you have to figure out a way to not do that without risking your chances. ever listen to dane cook?
    hahaha yes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Duh that's why you chill next to a bike with a solo cowl, that's just rookie 101 stuff.
    thank you Greg, educate them youngsters

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My first streeter was a 2000 Katana 600. Loved it, took it to Daytona, did trackdays on it, dropped it, fixed it. sold it 3 yrs later. Great bike to start out on. Bit heavy and limited suspension for the track. If you want help looking at bikes let me know, i'm right up by Bradley Airport.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Duh that's why you chill next to a bike with a solo cowl, that's just rookie 101 stuff.
    Yeah, that's why I got a solo cowl. Dem bitches be crazy yo.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

¯\(°_o)/¯

I don't think that SV650S dude is going to reply to me

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

¯\(°_o)/¯

CBR looks nice. Cash + Local meet is a flag, but easily avoided. Bring a friend, stash the cash, see and test the bike first.

Quote Originally Posted by coolfir3pwnz View Post
    Cash + Local meet is a flag, but easily avoided.
    Why would Cash + Local meet a flag? Just curious.

¯\(°_o)/¯

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Potential mugging.

Quote Originally Posted by coolfir3pwnz View Post
    Potential mugging.
    So how else would you buy a bike on CL if you don't go check the bike out (meet local)? Nor you should carry $5k cash in your pocket just to go "check it out".

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    My thoughts on reason for scam was the extraordinarily strange capitalization...

Up For Sale My Excellent Honda CBR F4i 2004 it has around 5500 miles.
    The fact that there is a single, non-recent picture and the seemingly "low" price (repeated in the title).

IDK. Spidey sense?

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    As long as you don't plan on doing a ton of highway riding I would recommend a WR250X or a DRZ400 or something similar - Supermoto "inspired".
    Stupid fun. You won't care if you drop it. It probably won't care if you drop it.
    You can spend as much or as little time fiddling with it as you want.
    Did I mention stupid fun?
    ^^^what he said

as far as the red flag....ask the guy to send you a couple pictures of the other side of the bike...i wouldn't meet anyone i'm selling a bike to at my house either though...and no test rides without cash in hand...doesn't really sound that fishy

Last edited by Point37; 02-25-13 at 01:06 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

If the ride is your number one priority, Take your time with a begginer bike. Iv ridden dirty bikes for ages.. and the excitement alone of my first bike hot me to drop it on my first ride. My first bike was a ninja500 (ex500) and i would still be on it today if our didn't get smoke by a car.

I'd never trade my ex500 experience. It was a perfect segway into the sport. It isn't a rocket on the highway.. like everyone mentioned. .. but it CAN. Do it. Iknow it can.
    Biggest thing you can do it get on a ride with the right guys. Your going to be in the back to start no matter what you ride. ..so use that. Watch them ride. . Watch them lean.. turn their heads, and use their body position as a guide.
    I was real lucky... my first real ride was led by good guys.. and I had a real patient sweeping guide in gadget.
    I'm sure plenty of these guys will be happy to show you the ropes after you have a few thousand miles on your bike. AND YOU DON'T NEED A ROCKET TO LEARN. There's a reason why they are big time track bikes... they handle and whip through turns as well as most.

I replaced my ex with a sv650. I love it.. and I can't imagine changing saddles anytime soon.. but I'm glad I started with a lighter more begginner bike...cause that's what I was.

I NEVER outrode the 500, and I'm positive I still couldn't.

Never make the mistake of thinking you your bike is holding you back. ..no matter what it is, it can still teach you more.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    Your going to be in the back to start no matter what you ride.
    I love it in the back. Just sayin'.

I've said it on this forum before, but peer pressure is a helluva thing. Choose your peers wisely.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I ended up picking up a 96 CBR 900rr on Saturday for my first bike. Got a buddy discount: $1,500

At that price I just want something that will get me from A to B, and if it drops, not a big deal since the fairings are shit already. Purchase came with a new complete set of fairings that the previous owner didn't have time to put on. So those will wait a few months until I'm completely comfortable to throw those on.

That's a lot of bike for a first ride. Be careful out there! Don't skimp on the gear.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    That's a lot of bike for a first ride. Be careful out there! Don't skimp on the gear.
    Yeah definitely.

It's a bit big, but I'll grow into it. I'd get bored with a 250 after the first day, and I don't want to spend all day shifting with a 600 hah. /sarc

I used to dirt bike a bit when I was younger and I would cruise around Seattle on an old Honda Nighthawk 650 that my friend would let me borrow.

Waiting for the weather to warm up. I took it around the block a few times on Saturday and froze my ass off

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I've said it on this forum before, but peer pressure is a helluva thing. Choose your peers wisely.
    That's what she said!

No matter what you get, ride your ride. We'll always wait up for you.

Well, boredom is usually a matter of where your riding not what your riding. I find myself enjoying smaller bikes the more I ride, but the call of power is understandable. Don't forget about the Motorcycle safety license course and don't be afraid to grab a book like Total Control' or 'Riding in the Zone'. They can help new and experienced riders tons.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    No matter what you get, ride your ride. We'll always wait up for you.
    Awe, thanks buuudieee!

Well, boredom is usually a matter of where your riding not what your riding. I find myself enjoying smaller bikes the more I ride, but the call of power is understandable. Don't forget about the Motorcycle safety license course and don't be afraid to grab a book like Total Control' or 'Riding in the Zone'. They can help new and experienced riders tons.
    I agree with all of this. I'll probably never go back to a liter+ bike.. not unless it's my 2nd and for touring. Even with my hellish commute, I am content with my lighter, cheaper, simpler 650. It should be smaller too, but the 'strom, she's a moose.

MSF should have been your first stop before investing in the bike.

On the issue of gear. I was reading something recently that pointed out that many new riders worry too much about the helmet and not enough about the rest of the package. Meaning they blow their wad on a top shelf Arai uber-doober and skimp on the rest. The article pointed out that this is shortsighted, and I think I agree.

A discount brand composite (ie not plastic) helmet is perfectly okay if it opens up your budget for some decent quality, padded gear, gloves, and footwear.

Last edited by nhbubba; 02-25-13 at 06:48 PM.

Equal Opportunity Asshole DroFiveOh's Avatar

Congrats on the new bike. At least you got a good deal so you won't be AS pissed when you take a spill.

49 states do it one way, and Massachusetts does it their own way.

Getting Younger Outlaws Justice's Avatar

First Bike Recommendations

Street Bikes
    Honda CM250 Rebel (Good for Shorter Riders) any year
    Honda CM450 Rebel (Good for Shorter Riders) any year
    Honda CB450 Nighthawk (Good for Taller Riders) any year
    Honda VF500 Magna any year
    Honda VT500 Shadow any year
    Honda VT500 Ascot any year
    Honda VF500F Interceptor (Sport Bike style) any year
    Yamaha XV250 Virago (Good for Shorter Riders) any year
    Yamaha XV535 Virago (Good for Shorter Riders) any year
    Suzuki GS500E 1990 and newer
    Suzuki GS500F any year (Sport Bike Style)
    Suzuki GS450L, 1983 and newer
    Kawasaki EX500 Ninja and year (Sport Bike Style)
    Kawasaki EX250 Ninja, 1988 and newer (Sport Bike Style)(Shorter riders can handle this)
    Kawasaki LTD500 1990 and newer
    Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator any year (Good for shorter riders)

Dual Sport Bikes (on-road / off-road)
    Suzuki DR200
    Suzuki DR250
    Yamaha XT225
    Yamaha XT250
    Honda CRF230F
    Honda XR250L (Does not have electric Start)
    Kawasaki KLX250

This list is based on bikes that hold a decent retail value and are a good used bike value. Current recommendations do not include any of the Chinese motorcycles as most of them are copies of some bikes on the list and do not have the reliability of the name brands. Parts can also be hard to obtain and much more expensive as well. Pay special attention to the title to make sure you are buying the real thing and not a Chinese copy. There are also many other bikes not listed that make good first bikes, and any bike should be looked at on a case by case basis to ensure that you are getting a bike that is right for you. Make sure the bike fits you without modifications. If a bike is not the correct height, style etc. you will not be comfortable, so make an informed decision and get help if needed to make sure that the choice you make will be one you will not regret. Some bikes on this list were only produced for limited years such as the CM450 Rebel with a three year production, or the VT500 Ascot with a two year production. This does not affect the quality or parts availability of these popular bikes. And parts for most of the bikes listed are still readily available.
    Most bikes on this list can be purchased relatively inexpensively and will hold a good value for later resale sometimes allowing your first bike to be a very inexpensive riding proposition. Insurance on one of these bikes will normally be $150 per year or less depending on your age, driving record etc. How much might I have to spend to get a bike that is listed? Well that will depend on year, condition and which model. Bikes listed above could range from a low of $800 to $2000 (Newer Models might be much more) but you can usually expect to find a good bike in decent mechanical shape for about $1500 or less and sell it for a similar amount when it is time to upgrade.

As with any used bike be certain to take into consideration the following:
    1. Condition of wear items, Chain Sprockets etc.
    2. Age and Condition of Tires. (Age is as important as condition)
    3. Brakes, cables and controls.
    4. How long has the bike been out of service (In Storage)? Can lead to needed work such as Carb. rebuilds etc.
    5. Regular maintenance? Oil changes? Fork oil? Brake Fluids? etc.
    6. Rust in the gas tank?
    7. Has the bike been dropped or crashed?
    The parts and repairs that might be needed for a used unit can add up very fast so be sure to take the time and expense to have the bike looked over by a trained technician BEFORE you make a purchase.

David M. Beyer
    National Rider Training
    Licensed Riding Instructor
    (315) 771-2747

David
    National Rider Training
    www.nationalridertraining.com

Signing up for a 16 hour BRC soon, and bought Twist of the Wrist II yesterday to read. I definitely have a lot to learn.
    MSF should have been your first stop before investing in the bike.

On the issue of gear. I was reading something recently that pointed out that many new riders worry too much about the helmet and not enough about the rest of the package. Meaning they blow their wad on a top shelf Arai uber-doober and skimp on the rest. The article pointed out that this is shortsighted, and I think I agree.

A discount brand composite (ie not plastic) helmet is perfectly okay if it opens up your budget for some decent quality, padded gear, gloves, and footwear.
    Went with a Speed and Strength SS1500, and it arrives via UPS today. I tried on the same helmet to make sure of fit before i ordered online. Looking for a jacket, gloves, boots, etc. now...

Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. At least you got a good deal so you won't be AS pissed when you take a spill.
    True... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaws Justice View Post

As with any used bike be certain to take into consideration the following:
    1. Condition of wear items, Chain Sprockets etc.
    2. Age and Condition of Tires. (Age is as important as condition)
    3. Brakes, cables and controls.
    4. How long has the bike been out of service (In Storage)? Can lead to needed work such as Carb. rebuilds etc.
    5. Regular maintenance? Oil changes? Fork oil? Brake Fluids? etc.
    6. Rust in the gas tank?
    7. Has the bike been dropped or crashed?
    The parts and repairs that might be needed for a used unit can add up very fast so be sure to take the time and expense to have the bike looked over by a trained technician BEFORE you make a purchase.
    Previous owner bought it at the beginning of 2012 and replaced the tires, brakes, all the fluids in the bike, new stator(stator done in Sept), integrated tail, chain, and sprockets. He had a trained technician look at it before he purchased it, and the technician was pissed that he didn't get a chance to buy it. Fairings are trash, so it looks like it was dropped/crashed. The purchase came with a new set of fairings though.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Signing up for a 16 hour BRC soon, and bought Twist of the Wrist II yesterday to read. I definitely have a lot to learn.
    It sounds like you are on the right track with a solid bike. Twist 2 is a more advanced book. There is definitatly tons or great info in it, but it's more geared for an experienced rider looking to improve rather than a new rider. Pick up one of the others I mentioned. To start with. Don't forget anyone can twist the throttle to the stops right fom the start. braking and turning are skills to learn over time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Kenn lives to hear these words

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast