Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PayPal for craigslist sale?

PayPal for craigslist sale?

Selling a bike on Craigslist, I lowered price yesterday, guy emailed me last night and guy wants to come today and buy it he says, sounds like he might be traveling a ways and can't get cash on Sunday, wants to know if PayPal will work as payment if he covers fees.

Is this a red flag?

I did some research, good chance I could track this guy down if it bounces or whatever (unique name, website in New York as photographer/graphic design dude)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: PayPal for craigslist sale?

Use PayPal with his cc..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If he is a true scammer then you won't be able to track him down

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    Use PayPal with his cc..

What does this mean/ how does it protect me?

U can send a request for money to any user on PayPal and they can use a cc to pay..
    Then make sure the transaction went through.. idk what the fee would be though

Does the cc somehow protect me more than if he just paypalled funds to me out of his checking account though?

No.. that would be his cc.. u are accepting payment with PayPal.. when you send a request to him he can use his cc or checking to pay.. he can even use a cc to PayPal even if he doesn't have a PayPal account

Look on PayPal site under q&a. Should say how you are protected

Paypal with a CC is a great way to protect yourself as a buyer, as you get both Paypal and credit card protection. As a seller, my only warning is that as soon as the money hits, you take it out of your Paypal and never leave money in your Paypal. I got hit by a Paypal scammer once about 10 years ago through eBay. Paypal gives them all their money back and debits your account for that amount. Paypal tried to get me to pay the negative balance, so I just "closed" the account and never opened another. They eventually sold the "debt" to a collection company. I never paid it, but they couldn't hit my credit because I never agreed to the debit they hit me with(giving the scammer his money back). At worst, you are out a Paypal account.

In short, this is pretty a safe method, just make sure the money is in your possession(bank account, not Paypal account) before handing over the bike. If it IS a scammer, let Paypal take the hit.

IMO PayPal is a bit riskier but common practice. PayPal "Seller Protection" doesn't apply to motorcycles, and PayPal has a strong tendency to favor the buyer. If the buyer files a "not as described" dispute you lose the money unless you can convince PayPal to reverse the dispute in your favor.

Stolen PayPal accounts / PayPal used as a proxy for stolen credit cards is not unheard of. I'd proceed with caution - if you're going to go that route I'd get a solid bill of sale, his/her identification and do your best to assess the situation.

If the guy has a reputation, seems like a legitimate person and can be easily tracked down it's probably going to be fine, but you have to be more cautious than with a cash sale for obvious reasons!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I wouldn't do it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Told him I'd prefer cash, meeting tomorrow

If it was me I'd be fine with the PayPal, but wouldn't sign anything until the money was in my bank account.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Anything over 500$ they take a good bit out in fee's. Not exactly sure what it is. Just a heads up. If the guy sounds like hes a legit buyer I'd just work with him on extending things a few days.

Last edited by 01xj; 06-25-17 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Selling a bike on Craigslist, I lowered price yesterday, guy emailed me last night and guy wants to come today and buy it he says, sounds like he might be traveling a ways and can't get cash on Sunday, wants to know if PayPal will work as payment if he covers fees.

Is this a red flag?

I did some research, good chance I could track this guy down if it bounces or whatever (unique name, website in New York as photographer/graphic design dude)
    I wouldn't. I've been on the other end (as a buyer). PM me if you want details but if he files a claim after the fact PayPal often times will side with buyer and could potentially refund some $$ to him based on his word alone

Thanks everyone...yeah the only reason for the PayPal suggestion was that it was Sunday and the banks were closed...I told him I want cash so weekday meeting means no reason he cannot go to bank first...plus test rides occur with cash in hand only!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Which bike did you sell?

I've sold a couple pedaly bikes and the buyers have payed with PayPal. If they are legit and don't like hauling cash around it's no big deal. They will send it as "friends and family" which means it's immediate, irreversible, and assuming it's coming out of their bank account no fees for anyone. If they are trying to pay "goods and services" I'd tell them to forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I wouldn't. I've been on the other end (as a buyer). PM me if you want details but if he files a claim after the fact PayPal often times will side with buyer and could potentially refund some $$ to him based on his word alone
    ^^^This. From my experience there is no such thing as "seller protection" with Paypal. They don't wanna hear it. As the quoted reply says, they'll back the buyer on his word alone. Credit card or not, all the buyer has to do is make the claim. Then you're out...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    I've sold a couple pedaly bikes and the buyers have payed with PayPal. If they are legit and don't like hauling cash around it's no big deal. They will send it as "friends and family" which means it's immediate, irreversible, and assuming it's coming out of their bank account no fees for anyone. If they are trying to pay "goods and services" I'd tell them to forget it.
    Yes. Family and friends is instant transaction and without fees. I don't see how it can cause problems. But since today's Monday the point is now officially moot and we just jibber jabber for sake of the forum tradition.

Whatcha selling?

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    Yes. Family and friends is instant transaction and without fees. I don't see how it can cause problems. But since today's Monday the point is now officially moot and we just jibber jabber for sake of the forum tradition.

Whatcha selling?
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Which bike did you sell?
    Tell y'all when it's gone...I'm superstitious like that

I told him I want cash so weekday meeting means no reason he cannot go to bank first...plus test rides occur with cash in hand only!
    This was my my exact thought when I read your first post...He has all week to get cash at the bank! GLWS

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    ^^^This. From my experience there is no such thing as "seller protection" with Paypal. They don't wanna hear it. As the quoted reply says, they'll back the buyer on his word alone. Credit card or not, all the buyer has to do is make the claim. Then you're out...
    not much "buyer protection" either, goes both ways ... i lost $300 purchasing a cowl hood for my truck. tried everything possible, even sending the cops to the sellers workplace ... the dipshit sent some of the funds back under pressure from me but then filed a claim and PayPal took the funds back out of MY bank account ... total BS ... i had to eat the mistake + extra monies. fuck people.

Beta 200RR

Is this a red flag?

Unless you're having a really, really hard time selling the thing, I would avoid PayPal.

I had one guy (local in MA) want to buy the El Camino via PayPal and I said no. Cash only or GTFO...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Bike is gone, cash is in hand. Speed triple. Nice bike but I'm ready to go in a different direction...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast