Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Just picked up rear swingarm stand from Harbor Freight for $22

Just picked up rear swingarm stand from Harbor Freight for $22

Picked this up from Harbor Freight in Braintree for $22 today. They have 25% off on most parts. Didn't even know that this stand works without the rear spools. It attaches to the swingarm. Looks sturdy enough! Going to change the oil and clean the chain, first time doing this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Just picked up rear swingarm stand from Harbor Freight for $22

Sounds like the black tubular one. Works good for the rear. Pass on the front adapters.

2013 ZX6R-636

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Kept my bike up all winter...pales in comparison to a pitbull, but it'll get the job done.

Lifer

I've got one of those. It's cheap in every way possible. So if you like nice stuff, it isn't for you. But if you're on a tight budget, it'll do the trick.

nedirtriders.com

Yes, it's the black tubular stand. Already used it! Seems okay but yeah not the best quality. Well, it's cheap and as long as it holds up then I am okay with it.

Lifer

I've lifted mine up maybe 15-20 times and it worked each time. Soooo....good so far Biggest problem I've found is that the "hands" that sit under the arm usually end up in the way of the sprocket nuts, and hit them. Took me a little while to figure out what was making that sound. A spool stand would work better for anyone who wants regular and consistent wheel spinng. Otherwise, works great.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Bumping an old thread. I am nearing the need for a rear stand. Always had center stands on my bikes, but delving into the world where those do not exist.

I don't demand quality on this, HF is good 'nuf for me. And I need the stand soon, can't wait for something to show up on CL.

HF has two, any feedback on which is the one to get?

Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand - Currently $26

Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand - Currently $40

Are spool stands the way to go? Or is the steel tube stand good 'nuf?

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

The steel tube held up for two seasons no problem... as mentioned puny in compared to my pitbull, but it holds it fine and was a fraction of the cost. I usually put my bike up in the stand after I ride it.

Lifer

Does the "low profile" stand have both spool and swingarm cradle ends? HF site seems inconclusive. Guess I'll find out when I get to Amherst tonight.

I use the aluminum one for my SV with spools. I have a different one for the Wee.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I used the first one for a while. I've seen both bend, and haven't seen either in-store for a while. Call first.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've had the black tubular one for four or five years. I spent about $50 and got the inserts for the front forks (very glad I did). They've worked just fine.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Lifer

Good idea.. although I swear I saw a couple of the steel ones last time I was in there.

I have two of the silver ones. They bend and twist, but always bend and twist right back

I absolutely abuse mine more than anyone else. If you were anywhere around central Garage 2 last weekend and saw someone kicking a motard pretty much all day, that was me with the front supported by a harbor freight front stand.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

the 2nd/silver ones are a bit short on my FZR600...

Only drawback to the rear stand is that it doesn't get the rear tire real high. It will clear the ground but not by much, maybe an inch.

Lifer

I'm rear-stand dumb. Never used one before.

Why do I care how high the wheel is?

I bought the aluminum 'low profile' one from the store in Amherst this afternoon. Chick on the phone said they had 6 in stock. I found 2 on the shelf. Finding it took a while. These are knocked down in the autobody isle. The tube stands are one piece in the isle with the floor jacks and bead breakers and stuff like that.

What I didn't realize is that this is strictly for a bike setup with spools. From the diagrams I thought it had the flat swingarm cradles too and you could go either way. Turns out the swing arm cradles are extra.. and not stocked in store.

It's aluminum. It must be fast.

I don't think you care too much about how high it is as long as it's off the ground.

It's the same principle as changing any tire. If you get it "just off" the ground it can work, but can be a pain in the arse to get the wheel off. Getting it up a bit higher just gives you more room to jiggle stuff around.

You might check into getting spools, as some act as sliders as well. Many don't recommend spools for the CBR, so I haven't gone there yet. Things may be different for whatever you select.

I use the Low profile aluminum before I got pitbull stand, the only problem I have with the stand is if you spool is also a slider, you might not have enough clearance to clear the the "cap" of the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm rear-stand dumb. Never used one before.

Why do I care how high the wheel is?

I bought the aluminum 'low profile' one from the store in Amherst this afternoon. Chick on the phone said they had 6 in stock. I found 2 on the shelf. Finding it took a while. These are knocked down in the autobody isle. The tube stands are one piece in the isle with the floor jacks and bead breakers and stuff like that.

What I didn't realize is that this is strictly for a bike setup with spools. From the diagrams I thought it had the flat swingarm cradles too and you could go either way. Turns out the swing arm cradles are extra.. and not stocked in store.

It's aluminum. It must be fast.
    As long as it clears the ground it's not too big of a deal. Just pointing out one of the differences between the cheap-o and a more expensive stand. I personally don't care. It lifts my tire off the ground and rolls nicely in the garage. That's all I ask of it. It doesn't flex or bend and I use it almost every time I pull in the garage. I prefer it over my kickstand when I'm in the garage.

Last edited by 01xj; 06-06-13 at 08:35 PM.

naah...mine was *just high enough* on that silver HF stand pictured as I replaced my rear sprocket for a chain/sprocket job, then as I was putting everything back together, the bike slid forward a little bit here and there and almost fell off the stand

f-short stands

I've had the silver one for a year or so now and had zero issues with it. Yes its cheap but I've had my 95 supported with it and sat on the bike, and its still fine. Collins, get spools you will be thank full you did. I used a stand with the arms for years and after finally getting a spool stand I wish I had gotten it years ago.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Lifer

I think I mentioned, I bought the fancy aluminum spool stand instead of the cheaper steel paddle stand. My intention was to use spools. I knew I was bringing a bike home and needed something to keep it up off the ground.

Unfortunately the bike I bought has one of the spool ears sheered off.

HF sells paddle adapters to use the stand without spools. I called, they are part number 11299, if anyone needs that info. They are $10. Unfortunately no local store seems to stock these and they are not listed on the website. It seems one would have to order them by phone and pay $7 to have them shipped.

In the meantime I slipped the spool hooks into the stand backwards and extended them all the way in. This puts the hook mounting ears out far enough to slip under the swingarm. I wrapped the ears with duct tape to avoid excessive scratching. It holds the bike up, but is not the most secure.