Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fork straightening?

Fork straightening?

Anyone know a machine shop with the technology to straighten fork tubes? Mine are bent, off a 78 dt400. No aftermarket options that I have found, Ebay has also not been helpful. Aside from being bent mine are in great shape sooooo.....

I am thinking v blocks and a press but maybe I don't know what I don't know. I am not concerned about their integrity - this is a dirt/around town bike that will never see sustained high speed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Fork straightening?

Contact Tim and see if he can do it…..or he may know where to refer you.

https://superbikeservices44.com/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Tim was not able to assist. Anyone else? I am starting to think that it is part black art, part voodoo.

There are some places on the interweb - I was just hoping for local/ first hand experience.

Tim would have been my suggestion as well. Maybe try and reach out to to Peter Kates .. not to do the work, but to see if he knows anyone who is capable of doing it. I'd try this email, peter@computrackboston.com, or PM him on the NEMRR's Group Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/59693011513). Innovative Motorsports in NY was supposed to pick up where P.K. left off when P.K. sold all his tools and equipment to them, but with Scott's sad and untimely passing, it doesn't look like they are doing that type of work anymore. I'll also ask my buddy where he used to send his forks to be worked on. Not sure if they straighten or not, but it might be one more person who may know.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I'd call Harry's Machined Parts in Northborough MA. They've been building and tuning bikes for a long time ...

And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    Anyone know a machine shop with the technology to straighten fork tubes? Mine are bent, off a 78 dt400. No aftermarket options that I have found, Ebay has also not been helpful. Aside from being bent mine are in great shape sooooo.....

I am thinking v blocks and a press but maybe I don't know what I don't know. I am not concerned about their integrity - this is a dirt/around town bike that will never see sustained high speed.
    If they are bent to the point of showing creases, they are no good.

Outside of that, a dial indicator and a way to spin the tube to check for runout are the next challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Tim would have been my suggestion as well. Maybe try and reach out to to Peter Kates .. not to do the work, but to see if he knows anyone who is capable of doing it. I'd try this email, peter@computrackboston.com, or PM him on the NEMRR's Group Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/59693011513). Innovative Motorsports in NY was supposed to pick up where P.K. left off when P.K. sold all his tools and equipment to them, but with Scott's sad and untimely passing, it doesn't look like they are doing that type of work anymore. I'll also ask my buddy where he used to send his forks to be worked on. Not sure if they straighten or not, but it might be one more person who may know.
    There is always GMD Atlanta. I'm taking my spare frame and bike there this summer

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There is always GMD Atlanta. I'm taking my spare frame and bike there this summer
    Very true ... but for some reason I always had it in my head that they were more of a "set your bike up" kind a pace than "fix/repair your bike up" kind of place. That may stem from back in the day when M. Martire was part of GMD Boston and welded/repaired/straightened things here in CT though.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Very true ... but for some reason I always had it in my head that they were more of a "set your bike up" kind a pace than "fix/repair your bike up" kind of place. That may stem from back in the day when M. Martire was part of GMD Boston and welded/repaired/straightened things here in CT though.
    fellow LRRS racer moved down there and had him go over his bike 1-2 years ago. did geometry set up as well as engine build for the D200. i've talked to him a few times about getting my spare frame repaired as well as getting my bike checked and geometry set up.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    fellow LRRS racer moved down there and had him go over his bike 1-2 years ago. did geometry set up as well as engine build for the D200. i've talked to him a few times about getting my spare frame repaired as well as getting my bike checked and geometry set up.
    That's very good to know, thanks!

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69

Thanks all! They are being boxed up and sent to Tennessee.

Rohn Jon's Frame Straight

214 Brisbane Rd. Suite 1

Oak Ridge, TN.

I recently got pointed to GMD Atlanta as well, one of the SuperHooligan guys speaks VERY highly of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I recently got pointed to GMD Atlanta as well, one of the SuperHooligan guys speaks VERY highly of them.
    he's VERY good. when setting up geometry, he asks for your riding style and explains everything while you're there. it's a whole education experience.

EX 105

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Had the pleasure of attending Bike Week in Daytona with Kent and Tracey from GMD Atlanta one year when I went down there with PK. Can't speak to their work on bikes as I've never had anything done by them but they were both very nice people and helped make the week at/around the track a great week.

I had the 77 DT100 in Jr high. The big DT400 with the monoshock was a bad looking "Enduro" bike in the day. Hopefully you can get them straightened out. Dont know if Factory Connection does such work? My guess is newer bikes and replace rather than repair, but might be worth calling.

2013 ZX6R-636

Anyone know a machine shop with the technology to straighten fork tubes? Mine are bent, off a 78 dt400. No aftermarket options that I have found, Ebay has also not been helpful.
    Have you tried these guys?
    https://franksforks.com/YAMAHA%20FORK-TUBES.html

Thanks Tom - yeah I tried Franks first - no response in a week plus via e mail and v mail. My guess is he's got plenty of work. Mine are on their way to TN, I talked with Rohn he seems solid so stay tuned.

What did he give you for a price? I’ve got a pair of bent ones I may consider sending them

Pricing depends on how much time he has to spend on them. I ended up at $175 including return shipping. Turn around time was reasonable - about two weeks from the time I shipped until I got them back.

They look great - I have not put a dial indicator on them but they roll true on a flat surface - ready to be put back into service.

Highly recommend Rohn, he even answers the phone when you call lol.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!