Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

K-Pipe

K-Pipe

anyone have one, I was at RMS yesterday, and they has a like new used one for cheap $$

125cc biggest drawback is they are carburated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Re: K-Pipe

How much is it? I paid 1400 for mine online, delivered to my house. Ive been riding the shit out of it. I bought it to do the mongol rally but those plans fell apart. I just use it to get into central london which it excels at once im off the highway. Currently its gettting about 120mpg mixed use, 150mpg if i keep the revs down on slower roads. Thats with mods though. It originally got about 100mpg. I built it to handle the vastness on mongolia which means minimal fuel stations.
    Goes good but struggles to do 65. Oem spec saw maybe 60. 58 i think was published top speed. It was geared pretty low so i went up 1 in the front and the bike is far more useable now.
    Other than the typical chinese problems of bolts falling out and dodgy electrics the only thing i have had issues with is the motor has been eating rings. I think its mostly to do with me hitting the highway and pinning the throttle for nearly 50 miles every day. I seriously never get off wot. Ive done about 16k on it and i am on my second set of rings which need replacing now. Ive ordered a big bore kit to see if that helps which i wasnt going to do as it makes the bike not legal for the mongol rally but that doesnt matter now.

Lifer

Oh, and you can get the fi bike here but its worse. Loses a couple hp ie speed. Think carb is rocking 13 or 14 hp and fi is 11hp. Carb is better in every way.

I seem to remember seeing one of the online motorags doing a comparo with these (and other Taiwan/Chinese models) to the Grom & the Z125.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Iron bore, or is it nikasil? If not coated, consider a mild bore kit based around a coated cylinder and that should improve your ring life.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    How much is it? I paid 1400 for mine online, delivered to my house.
    The dealer has a $1500 price tag, but I suspect I can get it for less, I was actually thinking of bartering, as I am currently working on a project for the owner

my first bike was a Honda Super 90, and 2nd was a Honda CB125S. similar specs to the old CB I owned, 65 was about my top speed iirc and I got 100-125 mpg, I wouldn't be using it for commuting as I am now retired, nor would I use it on highway or primary roads, just back roads, running local errands, or going on rides with my GF, she would be riding her scooter

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I seem to remember seeing one of the online motorags doing a comparo with these (and other Taiwan/Chinese models) to the Grom & the Z125.
    It was this one I think: https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...-biters-part-1

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    The dealer has a $1500 price tag, but I suspect I can get it for less, I was actually thinking of bartering, as I am currently working on a project for the owner

my first bike was a Honda Super 90, and 2nd was a Honda CB125S. similar specs to the old CB I owned, 65 was about my top speed iirc and I got 100-125 mpg, I wouldn't be using it for commuting as I am now retired, nor would I use it on highway or primary roads, just back roads, running local errands, or going on rides with my GF, she would be riding her scooter
    It should be fine then. It's pretty happy up until about 50mph. 1st gear is super low so you may want to regear. I was told it was geared that way because in China they put the entire family on them at once so they needed the granny gear to get rolling. They can do with a rejet right away too. My stock chain lasted about 1000 miles before it stretched itself past the adjustment range so get a decent one thrown on.

It should be fine then. It's pretty happy up until about 50mph. 1st gear is super low so you may want to regear. I was told it was geared that way because in China they put the entire family on them at once so they needed the granny gear to get rolling. They can do with a rejet right away too. My stock chain lasted about 1000 miles before it stretched itself past the adjustment range so get a decent one thrown on.
    is it true what I read, no clutch needed to go from N-1, just click in gear, twist throttle

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    Could be. My memory is shot these days.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I think a few different magazines did "shoot outs" with the 125s.

As an owner of a Grom, I can say it's a hoot to ride, but it does lose its fun factor after a little while. Definitely great to have in the garage for the novelty of "I'm gonna go blast around town to the sandwich shop," but not something I'd consider keeping if I had actual responsibilities. Though if I had a commute that was all backroads, I'd be all about commuting on the thing for sure.

rides bikes

As far as I know and have seen, no one in China has ever, in their 12,000 year history, used first gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    I think a few different magazines did "shoot outs" with the 125s.

As an owner of a Grom, I can say it's a hoot to ride, but it does lose its fun factor after a little while. Definitely great to have in the garage for the novelty of "I'm gonna go blast around town to the sandwich shop," but not something I'd consider keeping if I had actual responsibilities. Though if I had a commute that was all backroads, I'd be all about commuting on the thing for sure.
    being retired, commuting is not even a consideration, and wouldn't have been anyway, my commute was a 75ft walk. My V-strom is all decked out with luggage, hasta weigh over 600, too much vehicle to make a 5 mile round trip post office or bank run, it's capable of keeping up with traffic anywhere I'd go with it, 100mpg ? it surely won't chew thru tires like my V-strom

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I stopped by the dealer last Friday to check progress on my V-strom, and speak with the owner about a project I am working on for him. As I walked by the K-pipe, I noticed the key was left on, battery deader than a fart. BUT, one kick on the kick starter, and it was running, so quiet, you could barely hear it. I would compare the noise output to that of a Honda 1000w inverter/generator.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

the K-Pipe is mine, dealer will deliver it to mu house today, along with my V-strom all repaired and ready to ride

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

How much is it? I paid 1400 for mine online, delivered to my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ended up getting it for $1000, with new battery, and a battery tender, and temp plates

RandyO
    IBA#9560

K-Pipe-img_2159-1-jpgK-Pipe-img_2160-1-jpg

RandyO
    IBA#9560

58mph

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

I put the big bore kit on mine. It wasnt a smooth process. The kit needed some help to fit so they are not going to be selling them again. It was from chinese company. I had to make a new thicker base gasket and machine a bit of the head for the oil control seal.
    I will say after it was all done it's how the bike should have come from new. Stock mine did about 56ish with my fat ass on it. After mods I was up to about 65 most times but it could do 70 if I bounced it off the redline long enough. Now I dont know how fast it is. Does 70 easy now but redline stops it from going faster. I'm going to regear it again just to get the revs down. 70 is enough speed for me, just want to cruise a bit better.

Lifer

I put the big bore kit on mine. It wasnt a smooth process. The kit needed some help to fit so they are not going to be selling them again. It was from chinese company. I had to make a new thicker base gasket and machine a bit of the head for the oil control seal.
    I will say after it was all done it's how the bike should have come from new. Stock mine did about 56ish with my fat ass on it. After mods I was up to about 65 most times but it could do 70 if I bounced it off the redline long enough. Now I dont know how fast it is. Does 70 easy now but redline stops it from going faster. I'm going to regear it again just to get the revs down. 70 is enough speed for me, just want to cruise a bit better.

Boosten I suggest you try the Motul Ester based oil
    Only oil with REAL SYNTHETIC left in USA

I hear German synthetics must be real group 4 oil but not in USA

My son has a taotao 50cc scooter, they don't bother with jets just buy a whole different carburetor for $19
    Probably possible for these too

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

My son has a taotao 50cc scooter, they don't bother with jets just buy a whole different carburetor for $19
    Probably possible for these too
    when I bought my little backhoe that has the Honda GX160 motor, the jets got clogged with 3 year old gummy residue, I took it to my dealer to service it, I assumed a carb rebuild, nope, a Genuine Honda rebuild kit cost more than a Genuine Honda Carb $26 and change, the only PIA was that the carb model # was on the side facing the motor, had to take it off, just to get the number to order a new one. Same motor, different applications use different carbs, mine runs a hydraulic pump at constant speed

hardly anyone fucks with carbs anymore

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I went for a little longer ride today, doesn't take much of a headwind to knock the top speed down to 45 or less. I plan on staying on 35mph speed limit roads anyway. when I kept to the winding sheltered back roads, easy to maintain 35mph in 3rd gear about half throttle, you don't even have to think about slowing for corners.

BUT absolutely zero wind protection, it was chilly, after, I went for a ride on my V-strom, first time in 2½ years, even though I was goin at greater speeds, it has some wind protection, and the temp, was comfortable

RandyO
    IBA#9560

surprising how well the engine does as the hills get steeper, you slow down for sure, and downshifting doesn't help keep speed up, the motor doesn't even hiccup when you lug it down

for the most part, quarter throttle will cruise along at 45mph, pinning it doesn't get you much more, just a slow acceleration, and it seems to be just as happy at 28mph in top gear, as it does at 55mph

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Low lift, low duration cam plus a tiny intake and small carb makes for a torquey machine that is choked off on top. You can play with things to shift the power curve north, but I wouldn't bother if you're happy with it as is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast