Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?

I’m trying to get back into riding instead of buying old BMW’s to mess around with and sell. My fiancé kinda co-signed saying she’d like to go for rides too when we don’t have the kids. So I’m gonna sell my R75/6 and the sidecar frame on it that I haven’t even ridden at all except for around the yard and get something newer (but def used).

I’m trying to decide what is best out of these 3 bikes that I have no experience riding. All will be bought used. I am not planning on doing my touring just weekday runs hopefully some track days by myself and the occasional weekend date with my fiancé so I want it to be sporty but semi comfortable (maybe hour or two rides not like touring) for her.

I always wanted these three bikes. I’ve been into twins forever, I always was interested in the V4 platform and the speed triple always grabs my attention.

My qualms outside of not knowing if they’re brutal for a passenger:

KTM 990 Superduke or Supermoto: is there actually places that will service this thing and are there actually parts? Reliability issues? Finicky to get set up right engine wise from what it looks like.
    Aprilia Tuono V4: again limited service providers these and I’ve heard parts are difficult. I don’t think I need 150HP and am not super stoked at the amount of electronics
    2003- 2010 Speed Triple: Similar where do you get it serviced if I can’t do it myself. I’ve never ridden a triple but I haven’t really liked i4’s is it similar?

If you guys wanna drop any knowledge that would be amazing. I kinda am siding on the Duke as of now but the triple is growing on me and I’m like hey maybe a summer with a Tuono would be fun too.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Beinggodisgreat; 06-16-23 at 07:03 AM.

Lifer

Re: Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?

I think with all the questions your asking the Spiple makes the most sense.
    Are we talking new or used here?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I think with all the questions your asking the Spiple makes the most sense.
    Are we talking new or used here?
    Def used I’ll update the post good call!

Orange Kool-Aid is the best Kool-Aid!!!

Lifer

In that case what about an mt09? I think you can buy new for cheaper than those other three used.

In that case what about an mt09? I think you can buy new for cheaper than those other three used.

Def a similar option I kinda like those but they’re like $9400 msrp. But KTM AND STRIPLE are def under $6000 for a decent one and even under $5000 in some cases the Aprilia is more prob like $7500ish but way way more bike.

Lifer

There was a few dealers selling mt09s for $8000 not long ago. I didn't realize the MSRP was $9400, I just knew that price.
    Are you after a spiple or striple? I think a spiple will cost much more.

There was a few dealers selling mt09s for $8000 not long ago. I didn't realize the MSRP was $9400, I just knew that price.
    Are you after a spiple or striple? I think a spiple will cost much more.
    Speed Triple 2003-2010 gen is one of the options but I see them from $4500 to $6000 and it looks like I don’t really have to be worried about mileage on those bikes so even if it has 10k+ miles or more it’d be fine. I’d stay as close to $4500 as possible there’s lots of them out there.

What’s your budget? The V4 is awesome but to get the right one can be pricey. Why not buy my tuono 1000 and stack some cash away?

You can find some early years FZ09’s for cheap but suspension and tune is a must if you’re competing with something like the super duke or tuonos.

I don’t see many 990 bikes around that get dealer serviced but dealers never carry parts anymore regardless of the years or models. There are a lot of viable sites for KTM parts so unless you total it I can’t see a reason to not buy one. It’s one of the older generation superhooligan bikes with power but no rider aids.

Budget is under $6000 preferably $4500 haha but willing to pay more for the right bike. Earlier Tuono’s I’ve worked on two and both had lotsa weird standard issues when I got them I fixed them and then later on continued to have other issues so I was kinda spooked on aprilia. The more research I’m doing today on Tuono V4’s the less I think it’ll fit for me. It’s just too much bike. I don’t think I could even get close to using 150HP and I’d like to be able to fix it all myself but don’t wanna get into all the electronic stuff outside what I’m used to on other bikes.

I don’t really like the i4 platform for me personally. I’ve always loved twins but I know people love the triples too.

Hypertarded

Original 08-12 1100 air cooled HyperMotard, good comp to your list of bikes, within your budget, minimal electronics and no problem with parts or service.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Original 08-12 1100 air cooled HyperMotard, good comp to your list of bikes, within your budget, minimal electronics and no problem with parts or service.

Really?! I do love those hypermotards. I never considered Ducati because well… Ducati always = $$$ and lots of maintenance. Maybe I’ll add that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
    Speed Triple 2003-2010 gen is one of the options but I see them from $4500 to $6000 and it looks like I don’t really have to be worried about mileage on those bikes so even if it has 10k+ miles or more it’d be fine. I’d stay as close to $4500 as possible there’s lots of them out there.
    Just an FYI to help you refine your search, 2003 and 2004 are the older gen, a facelift of the original 955. The 1050 started in ‘05 and got some desirable improvements in ‘08. I’m in the market for one of those too, and am not seeing a lot out there in New England if you want a nice, low mileage one.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Also, there’s a pretty nice looking V2 Tuono for sale here that’s not too far off your price range…

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Is the fiance riding pillion or her own bike?
    I like the air-cooled Hyper suggestion but even with a flat 'race' seat Hypers are very compact front-to-back.

Last edited by feralchimp; 06-16-23 at 09:56 AM.
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Def would like the 1050 if I did a speed tripe so good looking out. I’m not buying this weekend I’m just keeping an eye out for sure. I’m willing to go down south or out west a bit if I needed to and do a fly and ride situation.

- - - Updated - - -

She’s riding on the back

I had a Tiger 1050 (same basic engine as Speed Triple) for years and it was very reliable. I didn’t do my own valve checks because I didn’t feel like it, but did everything else myself and it was pretty easy. Parts for 1050s shouldn’t be too hard to find.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Hypertarded

Really?! I do love those hypermotards. I never considered Ducati because well… Ducati always = $$$ and lots of maintenance. Maybe I’ll add that to the list.
    My 08 has been super reliable, only abnormal expense is the belts/valve adj., and it's not cheap if you take it to a dealer. What are you planning for yearly mileage, the belts/valves are every 7,500, so every 3-4 years if your ... Or if you do them yourself it's not really an issue.

Should be able to find a low mileage one for under $6k, the S model is worth the difference in price.

And probably easier to find Duc dealer or specialty shop that specializes in Ducs.... Plus it just a dam HOOT

Lifer

Don't want to derail, but given your wishes, it's almost a rule that someone has to suggest Honda VFR. I still think used prices are crazy high, but if you want to spend more, the VFR1200F (Blue) will do everything, except track days, really well.

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?-vfr-jpg

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?-vfr1200-jpg

Last edited by SteveM; 06-16-23 at 11:00 AM.

Tuono v4 is the best bike money can buy. Your $ at 6k will not buy one. Happy shopping!! Don't worry about maintenance - the sweeter the ride the more it costs to run. If you want painless and cheaper go with a japanese bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Don't want to derail, but given your wishes, it's almost a rule that someone has to suggest Honda VFR. I still think used prices are crazy high, but if you want to spend more, the VFR1200F (Blue) will do everything, except track days, really well.

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?-vfr-jpg

Halp! Superduke 990, Aprilia Tuono V4 or Speed Triple?-vfr1200-jpg
    If I was gonna have a passenger more I’d consider it but I don’t really like the vfr’s that much. Great platform just not for me.

I totally get that aprilia v4 is more than $6k after doing a lot more reading I think I’ve ruled out the aprilia all together.

Budget is under $6000 preferably $4500 haha but willing to pay more for the right bike. Earlier Tuono’s I’ve worked on two and both had lotsa weird standard issues when I got them I fixed them and then later on continued to have other issues so I was kinda spooked on aprilia. The more research I’m doing today on Tuono V4’s the less I think it’ll fit for me. It’s just too much bike. I don’t think I could even get close to using 150HP and I’d like to be able to fix it all myself but don’t wanna get into all the electronic stuff outside what I’m used to on other bikes.

I don’t really like the i4 platform for me personally. I’ve always loved twins but I know people love the triples too.
    I love v-twins but loved my 1050 triple more. Went from an SV1k to a 1050 Speed and couldn't have been happier. It kinda takes the best of the twin and adds some good stuff from an inline. Grunty but will sing.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

The Superduke 990 is a very compact bike, I can’t imagine it being comfy for a passenger for more than a short ride. I believe the Speed Triple is also. Check cycle-ergo.com

If you do a Google search for “Super Duke 990 vs Speed Triple 1050” you’ll find a ton of older articles comparing them.
    I haven’t searched for Speed Triples, but in my recent searches for a 990 SMT, I’ve seen a good amount of SD990’s for $4500-5000 though.

The Hyper1100 is also a very compact bike, back when I bought my project one, I couldn’t believe how small it seemed. I don’t think you’re finding decent ones for <6k though. If you want a bit of a project, I’d unload mine

With passenger comfort in mind I'd be looking at something more like a Thruxton or Bonneville.

Or, you know, Hayabusa.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    With passenger comfort in mind I'd be looking at something more like a Thruxton or Bonneville.

Or, you know, Hayabusa.
    Good point, get the tiger 1050.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast