Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Triumph Sprint ST anyone???

Triumph Sprint ST anyone???

Well it looks like I have an opportunity to p/u a rather nice-looking ST, blue, 13K miles, upswept exhaust (don't know which one yet) and all records including the 12K service for a tad over $3K. It's an '02 so third engine revision, last before it went to a 1050 I think, right?

I can't see any downsides compared to the 650R, (a tad more weight but still very light especially considering its displacement) much as I love a parallel twin I can't afford an F800 ST so I think I will do this.

I know to check on the rear shock but otherwise anything else I should consider? I'll probably never buy a 4 Cyl Jap bike again, just too common no offense.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Triumph Sprint ST anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by KingCast 650R View Post
    It's an '02 so third engine revision, last before it went to a 1050 I think, right?
    Gorgeous Sprint!
    2004 was the last year of the 955 engine.

I'll probably never buy a 4 Cyl Jap bike again, just too common no offense.
    That's one of the many things I like about my Triumph! Not everyone has one! Just today I was asked what kind of bike I was riding, and the dude said that he'd never heard of Triumph! That's probably because down here everyone rides a blinged out Busa or Gixxer!
    Even the diehard Harley riders respect Triumph, just because of Triumph' heritage.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

The Sprint ST 955i is a great bike. A friend of mine had one and put over 55k miles on it. And $3k is a great price, especially for such low miles.

Here's the weird thing, though -- the bike you've pictured has the bodywork of a Sprint RS, but it's got a single-sided swingarm, which means it's either a 2004 Sprint RS (only year they had the SSA), or it's an ST that's had its bodywork replaced. You should probably look into what's up with that.

Assuming everything's shipshape, though, it'll be a nice upgrade from a 650R.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 01-06-11 at 11:20 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I have a 2000 Sprint RS that I bought new, it has over 100,000 miles and still going strong. I HIGHLY recommend buying this bike, definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    The Sprint ST 955i is a great bike. A friend of mine had one and put over 55k miles on it. And $3k is a great price, especially for such low miles.

Here's the weird thing, though -- the bike you've pictured has the bodywork of a Sprint RS, but it's got a single-sided swingarm, which means it's either a 2004 Sprint RS (only year they had the SSA), or it's an ST that's had its bodywork replaced. You should probably look into what's up with that.

Assuming everything's shipshape, though, it'll be a nice upgrade from a 650R.

--mark
    Ahhh.... yes it was upgraded with the pipe (powermax, hope it's not too loud) and SSA, he's an airline pilot so I think he takes care of his shit. I'll ask about the bodywork when I see him on Sunday to leave a DEPOSIT

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    Gorgeous Sprint!
    2004 was the last year of the 955 engine

That's one of the many things I like about my Triumph! Not everyone has one! Just today I was asked what kind of bike I was riding, and the dude said that he'd never heard of Triumph! That's probably because down here everyone rides a blinged out Busa or Gixxer!
    Even the diehard Harley riders respect Triumph, just because of Triumph' heritage.
    Yah I rode a 955 Tiger when they came out and was very impressed. Like I say, it's a different class of bike than the 650R and even the SV 1000 I'm passing on, a sweet '03 silver with Yosh 10K miles if anyone is interested I can point you to it, great bike same price.

Heated grips, more usable day in day out, gotta go with the Triumph.

Ahhh.... yes it was upgraded with the pipe (powermax, hope it's not too loud) and SSA, he's an airline pilot so I think he takes care of his shit. I'll ask about the bodywork when I see him on Sunday to leave a DEPOSIT
    Is it really is a Sprint ST and just has RS bodywork, then the SSA is stock. For some reason Triumph used single-sided swingarms on the ST and regular double-sided ones on the RS, except in 2004.

If it's actually a Sprint RS, then yeah, it got the swingarm from an ST.

Let us know what the seller has to say about all this. And enjoy the bike!

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Is it really is a Sprint ST and just has RS bodywork, then the SSA is stock. For some reason Triumph used single-sided swingarms on the ST and regular double-sided ones on the RS, except in 2004.

If it's actually a Sprint RS, then yeah, it got the swingarm from an ST.

Let us know what the seller has to say about all this. And enjoy the bike!

--mark
    Gotcha. Nothing seems clear. I'm going to look for brochures -- the clocks are different between the two though, right? Or not? Can't see what's behind the fairing from these pics though. I'll let you know what's up on Sunday.

I have an 02 RS. Best all around bike ive ever owned. I love it. If it's the RS it'll have a little speed triple-style instrument cluster, the ST had a full "dash." but actually now that I think of it it must have the RS clocks if it has the RS fairing, they're completely different in the cockpit area.

Saw this thing on CL a while ago, wondered what was up with it bein listed as an ST but having an RS fairing.
    Edit: oh, the 02 and up had a silver frame. The black frame was from 01 and before. I would definitely look into this bikes background before purchasing....

Last edited by Spooler; 01-07-11 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    I have an 02 RS. Best all around bike ive ever owned. I love it. If it's the RS it'll have a little speed triple-style instrument cluster, the ST had a full "dash." but actually now that I think of it it must have the RS clocks if it has the RS fairing, they're completely different in the cockpit area.

Saw this thing on CL a while ago, wondered what was up with it bein listed as an ST but having an RS fairing.
    Edit: oh, the 02 and up had a silver frame. The black frame was from 01 and before. I would definitely look into this bikes background before purchasing....
    I know the deal..... when the guy put the up exhaust on it he swapped the ST lowers for the RS lowers, which is cool with me because I like to see a bit of engine. Headed out to put the deposit down in 10 hours

I know the deal..... when the guy put the up exhaust on it he swapped the ST lowers for the RS lowers, which is cool with me because I like to see a bit of engine. Headed out to put the deposit down in 10 hours
    Nice. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Enjoy the bike!

--mark

I'd be interested to know more about the exhaust, I love my 2 brothers pipe, but I'd like to have it out of the way so I could fit hard bags without lowering the pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    I'd be interested to know more about the exhaust, I love my 2 brothers pipe, but I'd like to have it out of the way so I could fit hard bags without lowering the pipe
    Didn't get a serial number on it and I think that Powermax stopped making these pipes. It sounds great though, video coming later tonight or early morning, probably tonight. I'm throwing in some vintage Triumph pics from friend's shop in Bethlehem NH. Of course it's been crashed and everything replaced with RS stuff but the bars are still risered, PERFECT

And me likey the full $777 12K service records. It needs some new meats pronto though, indicators coming up on the rear and front not a ton better, so yeah we flipped for $3,200 + $300 rubber and I'm good to go. What are you running, I'm thinking 2CTs same as the 650R just larger and more expensive.

Crack me up I recently discovered Wagner Powersports is hosting one of my vids on their website.

http://www.wagnermotorsport.com/

That and $4.75 will buy me a cupacoffee at Starbucks.

Here we go!
    Stupid YouTube took an image of the pants, which are for sale as well as a lovely leather, it's all in the video -- the thumbnail I'm changing it to is a nice shot of the bike at idle.
    YouTube - Triumph Sprint ST modified to RS SSA upswept exhaust + primer on Kelly Ayotte murder coverup.

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 01-09-11 at 11:12 PM.

Congrats, you're gonna love that bike. I'm running the stock bridgestones, they're pretty nice. How much are you asking for the triumph gear? It *might* fit me....