Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pirelli Angel ST/GT Tires

Pirelli Angel ST/GT Tires

I have the Pirelli Angel ST tires on my 03 SV650s front and read and so far I love them for the street. My question to the group is how will they hold up for a track day. I mostly would like to hear from someone who has ridden a few laps on the track with these tires. I have pushed them fairly hard on the street with no bad results but the track is a different animal. I have been able to get a controlled slide from them in a huge empty parking lot and they behaved well with my suspension settings. I just wanted to see what other people have had for experience with them at the track or if no one has ever used them at the track.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Pirelli Angel ST/GT Tires

I've never ridden an SV. I've never ridden on Angel ST's.

For your first track day pretty much any street tire with adequate tread will be fine.

My first 2 track days were on Cruiser / Touring tires on a bike that weighs significantly more than your SV (like more than double), and they were fine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
    I have the Pirelli Angel ST tires on my 03 SV650s front and read and so far I love them for the street. My question to the group is how will they hold up for a track day. I mostly would like to hear from someone who has ridden a few laps on the track with these tires. I have pushed them fairly hard on the street with no bad results but the track is a different animal. I have been able to get a controlled slide from them in a huge empty parking lot and they behaved well with my suspension settings. I just wanted to see what other people have had for experience with them at the track or if no one has ever used them at the track.
    Well....not knowing what your track experience is it's a little hard to answer but I'd guess that these tires (I run them too on my Multi...but not on the track) on your bike, would be fine anywhere above 1:25 or so lap times....which would put your solidly in intermediate for most track day vendors...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

You'll be fine. I have them on the fugly now, and they seem slightly harder and stiffer than the pr3's I was riding immediately before. Brap on.
    In my mind them being a little stiffer means they'll take more heat before they start to feel greasy, which means you've gotta push them harder, but ymmv.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks everyone. I have pushed the tires a little on the street but the heat from the track is what I was wondering about. I think you are all right and they will be fine for my first track day. I cannot generate the constant high temps on the street which I am hoping to be able to achieve on the track but I believe the Angels will be fine for my first time on the track. I ride fairly well on the street but the track will be a proving/learning ground for me. I will be sure to have new or nearly new tires for my track day (plus most of my equipment) and I know I will have a great time. I cant wait till summer! Thanks Again

We have run the same set of Angels on Em's bike for two seasons now. 2012 she was on a SV650. 2013 she rode a Hawk. She rides at a pretty good. I have done some Advanced group sessions with the Angels too. They work just fine. There are better stickier tires but most people would feel right at home on a set of these.

I used angel st's on my fz6 for track days in yellow and blue group (intermediate and advanced). They did good for what they are.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

CTBandit ran them at blue group pace in NY on his FZ6 when he didn't have his trackbike
    http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-g...ter-stand.html

^^^ what they said. you'll be fine. hell, I rode on Pirelli stradas for my first few rounds @ the track. Tires these days are made to still take a beating. Not my first tire of choice for the track because I like a stickier tire. For the buck, I'd keep it on my street bike and max out miles. I haven't heard any negative things about the Angels yet, though.

Thanks everyone. I guess I felt the same way as you all have replied. I just haven't taken the ST tires out onto a track. I agree with the fact they are not the stickiest tires available but are pretty good for the price and the mileage you get out of them on the street. This next year (2014) will be my first trip out on the track and I am sure after that first day I will be making many changes in equipment so I will probaly want better (stickier) tires for future track days im just glad to hear the tires on my soon to be track bike will be ok. Since I have not been on the track before I have a lot of worries/questions on what to do, how things will happen and what to do but it is all a great part of the anticipation of that first track day. I really cant wait. Thanks for all the feedback

Pretty much what everyone else said.

I've ridden five beginner group track days and one intermediate group track day with Angel STs on my 600RR and they've been more than sticky. They still have a lot of life (even with some street miles in there too).

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Great to hear! just means I am that much closer to being ready for my first track day! Now I wont need new tires and I can convince the wife to spend the money on some other stuff. I already have a full leather suit and I just got some brackets to mount Gixxer brakes on the SV. Thanks to all the people who have helped me so far I cant wait to meet some of you at the track. Come on Spring time!!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!