Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Plastic shelters? Round Shelters? I don't have a garage, but need one...

Plastic shelters? Round Shelters? I don't have a garage, but need one...

So, I recently lost my garage (as in I sold my house, and now don't have a garage). But, I've been looking into those PVC shelters. Are they any good?
    Will wind blow it over? Will it leak like a sieve?

Any suggested brands to buy or stay away from?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by lord1234; 05-27-13 at 08:24 PM.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Compared to the snow we had this last year, not many would stand the weight... my neighbor down the block has a beefy one that is a big zip together shelter and it even succumbed to the snow after the second round.. can you maybe just build a car port or something like that?

Re: Plastic shelters? Round Shelters? I don't have a garage, but need one...

I'm in a rental, and mainly looking for something for the summer...I probably would take down the shelter during the winter time.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

They are a pita to take down fyi.. how big of a space do you need, can you anchor, does it need to be enclosed? I can ask what brand it was, it is domed shaped. If you want a canopy only, I got a wicked one for ny patio deck from home depot.. sturdy, but really only a canopy with bug netting.

My new neighbor and I both use a Dowco Weather-all Plus cover and that's it. I store my bike at my parent's house in the winter.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Plastic shelters? Round Shelters?  I don't have a garage, but need one...-exterior-jpgPlastic shelters? Round Shelters?  I don't have a garage, but need one...-interior-jpgI had an old aluminum pickup cap I put on two tall sawhorses covered with 1/4 inch plywood and stapled some tarps to it. Id doesn't look as bad as it sounds and I can ride into it and park. Keeps the bike dry. You have to remove the inner front two legs and anchor the remaining outside legs to keep them from moving outward. I moved the bike into the basement for winter but the shelter stayed up all winter no problem. Put my snowblower in it.

Last edited by dannyjm; 05-28-13 at 06:47 AM.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Cycleshell... /close thread.... http://www.cycleshell.com/

I bought mine used (around 3 years old) and have had it now for 2 years...

It has lasted through every thing mother nature has thrown at it.... Hurricanes, blizzards and floods, didn't have any rust on my bike after the winter even though there was 3 feet of snow around it all winter

From the storms this Winter it held about a foot and a half of the heaviest snow we had all winter with out and issue... In the blizzard that we got 3 feet, because the wind was blowing so hard there wasn't even a drop of snow on it because of the shape it definitely helps to keep a lot of snow off it. Obviously have you have brush it off after the storm so it doesn't keep building up, but whatever.

I have the Sportbike one... fits my CBR perfect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plastic shelters? Round Shelters?  I don't have a garage, but need one...-dimensions-jpg  

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 05-28-13 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    This.

I bought mine in spring 08, and it's still in excellent condition. When I first had it in Worcester, everyone thought I had a tent set up outside. It folds in half and is pretty easy to move around if needed. It does much more than just having a cover, and I truely believe in "out-of-sight,out-of-mind" for thieves.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    My new neighbor and I both use a Dowco Weather-all Plus cover and that's it./
    Rockness. They work very well and last well also.

I would go with steel frame

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

+1 I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post

I bought mine used (around 3 years old) and have had it now for 2 years...

It has lasted through every thing mother nature has thrown at it.... Hurricanes, blizzards and floods, didn't have any rust on my bike after the winter even though there was 3 feet of snow around it all winter

From the storms this Winter it held about a foot and a half of the heaviest snow we had all winter with out and issue... In the blizzard that we got 3 feet, because the wind was blowing so hard there wasn't even a drop of snow on it because of the shape it definitely helps to keep a lot of snow off it. Obviously have you have brush it off after the storm so it doesn't keep building up, but whatever.

I have the Sportbike one... fits my CBR perfect