Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Plating an off road dirt-bike

Lifer

Re: Plating an off road dirt-bike

Wait. No title verification? Proof of .. you know, ownership.

In that case I'd like to register my dining room table. Standby while I make up a VIN.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Wait. No title verification? Proof of .. you know, ownership.

In that case I'd like to register my dining room table. Standby while I make up a VIN.
    I'm pretty sure they check a national VIN database before granting it. But these days, I believe most things worth stealing and doing this for are required to have VIN verification done either with the state, or possibly by a police officer of your state with some sort of approval note on their letter head. Something like that. Then you're sending them a license number and copy of bill of sale. They have age and engine size cutoffs that can help those with old or small bikes. In the era of excessive bureaucracy, it's kinda refreshing. I have a hard time seeing this being notably beneficial to scumbags. Just like RI lets residents register untitled bikes more than 15 years old (IIRC).

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    VT will let you register/title a vehicle IN Vermont without being a Vermont resident???

Yes and also South Dakota too. You can mail it in also............ lots of what ifs in here Lolol

Lifer

NH did away with title exempt. Used to be anything >15 years was title exempt. Now it's anything MY2000+ requires a title, no exemptions.
    I believe the cutoff for title exemption in MA is sometime in the 1980's.

MA isn't title exempt. I recently bought a 1969 Chevy C10 and the registry said if the vehicle ever had a Mass title it would need one to register it now. they don't go by after 19xx you no longer need a title.

My buddy done a it a million times with his 2 stroke 450...He just wrote up a bill of sale and changed the VIN by 1 digit so it didn't flag in the DMV system, paid sales tax, and walked out with a plate. In MA they don't inspect Dirtbikes cuz they keep breaking off parts so the CHP doesn't bother checking them. Just make sure you get your street plate from the fish police and register it as a boat under 120cc...You can also plate it in Canada, RI, or San Diego, and transfer it

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-02-17 at 01:40 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    My buddy done a it a million times with his 2 stroke 450...He just wrote up a bill of sale and changed the VIN by 1 digit so it didn't flag in the DMV system, paid sales tax, and walked out with a plate. In MA they don't inspect Dirtbikes cuz they keep breaking off parts so the CHP doesn't bother checking them. Just make sure you get your street plate from the fish police and register it as a boat under 120cc...You can also plate it in Canada, RI, or San Diego, and transfer it
    Things I don't plan on doing: falsifying the VIN on something I register.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    MA isn't title exempt. I recently bought a 1969 Chevy C10 and the registry said if the vehicle ever had a Mass title it would need one to register it now. they don't go by after 19xx you no longer need a title.
    This can be complicated by the RMV employee not necessarily knowing the rules. I had an experience where the person I was dealing with told me I couldn't do what I wanted quite confidently, but reluctantly asked his supervisor to confirm. Who said yes. I had carefully read all the rules before visiting them. I also titled an 87 motorcycle a few years ago with just an RI registration and Bill of Sale without difficulty.

I'm not sure what the right answer is in your case, because I think it depends on interpretation of this bit from the RMV website: "Passenger vehicles with a model year of 1980 and older, purchased before November 26, 1990 are exempt from titling. Any vehicle purchased after November 26, 1990 must be titled, excluding the following: (..)" Does 'purchased' in this context mean purchased when new, or just purchased in general. As in some 1923 Ford Model-T that you bought yesterday would need a title because it was purchased after 1990? That doesn't seem right.

Here is from the RMV site, but it's kinda strange that it's buried under a 'checklist', context is in-state, private party purchase. "Proof of Ownership Certificate of Title OR copy of Bill of Sale and previous Registration, (if exempt from obtaining a Title) (..)" Out of state has a lesser requirement: "Certificate of Title OR if lien exists, Registration from previous state The following states issue a Title even if a lien exists: NY, KY, MI, MN, MD, MO, OK, and MT"

I'm pretty sure you can register that truck IF you have a previous registration.

nedirtriders.com

I just spoke to a guy in VT who said that if you grind the "Not for highway use" emblem off your motorcross tires then the shops will not fail the bike due to tires. Has anyone ever tried this?

All I did 2 years ago was put on a lighting kit with turn signals and horn

I took pictures of it all then and used picasa to turn them into a page

filled out the forms included a check and plates were mailed to me. I saw bs of inspection but never did it

they just sent me my renewal so I guess I am cool with them

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

My guy would not pass my DRZ without a chain guard. Yes, I thought it was fucking retarded too. I fabricated one from some aluminum scraps. It looked like ass, probably was not very effective, but got me my sticker.
    I've since found a new "guy" who seems to care less about the details. Although I've heard he has picked up on non-DOT tires.
    probably moot now, but hes incorrect. bike didnt come with it so it doesnt need one. just like the speedo.
    come see me. ill put a sticker on it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    VT will let you register/title a vehicle IN Vermont without being a Vermont resident???
    A LOT of rally cars are reg'd in VT

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

DRZ400S comes with a chain guard.
    IIRC motorbikes plus requires KTMs getting a plate have one too.

has anyone had any luck plating a 4stroke dirtbike in NH? I can do it in VT but would rather do it in NH if i can save the sales tax. any ideas?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by mjm198 View Post
    has anyone had any luck plating a 4stroke dirtbike in NH? I can do it in VT but would rather do it in NH if i can save the sales tax. any ideas?
    Are you a NH resident?

New Resident of New Hampshire | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety
    How do I register my vehicle?
    To register a vehicle owned by you, you must bring the title, along with proof of residency, to the town or city clerk's office where you reside.

If the vehicle is leased, if there is a lienholder or if the vehicle is title-exempt, submit the following to the town or city office where you reside:

The out-of-state registration.
    Lease agreement, if applicable.
    Lienholder's name and address.
    Proof of residency.

nedirtriders.com

DRZ400S comes with a chain guard.
    IIRC motorbikes plus requires KTMs getting a plate have one too.
    theres no law saying that a trailbike has to has a chain guard

Lifer

I thought we were talking state inspection for on-highway use.
    Yes, trail bikes are totally different. Roger that. IIRC there is no inspection at all. Although I hear fish & game enforces the noise rules.

no, we are talking for on road inspection. trailbikes are exempt from things like blinkers, speedo, odometer, etc. basically, if it didnt come with it then its not needed for inspection. only safety items that i can see that are required are stop/tail light, horn, mirror and headlight. horn doesnt even have to be electric. i will agree that the book doesnt specifically say it doesnt need one like it does with the other items i stated, but the inspection book is basically written on grey paper. ill touch base with DOT on this to confirm. i just dont see how you can mandate something that it was never designed to have.

svracer01, do you have a motorcycle inspection license? and r u in vermont?

Just for the record, those little rubber squeaky horns that people attach to pass inspection are the epitome of the ridiculousness of big brother motor vehicle laws.

Gary's proposed national inspection rules: decent tires, it doesn't leak anything, and the fuckin steering and brakes work

Better yet, no inspection but ticket and liability for failure to keep those things in order. Proceeds from the tickets go to the make a wish foundation.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Just for the record, those little rubber squeaky horns that people attach to pass inspection are the epitome of the ridiculousness of big brother motor vehicle laws.

Gary's proposed national inspection rules: decent tires, it doesn't leak anything, and the fuckin steering and brakes work

Better yet, no inspection but ticket and liability for failure to keep those things in order. Proceeds from the tickets go to the make a wish foundation.
    Drives me crazy when talking about the ridiculousness/shortcomings of safety inspections, and people act like it'd be mad max without them. Completely overlooking at CT and like 20 other states don't have them at all. Granted, some of them are the dumber bunch of states. I wish safety inspections could make sense, but too many problems can occur in a year's time that it just feels bureaucratic. I think I'd like some voluntary system, and have a standardized set of inspection criteria issued by the state so it doesn't become 'your flux capacitor is on it's last leg and you should buy a new car from me tonight'.

nedirtriders.com

Unfortunately for us, the state has a vested financial interest in keeping the inspection system as it is.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

These kinds of threads scare me, because as a long time trail rider who has street registered (not always "Titled") *many* trail bikes over the past 40 years, they risk revealing loopholes in systems that could easily be slammed shut. Some have already occurred. This topic is always a grey area, but less talk, and more personal action will usually get the job done. There is more than enough information in this thread to get started. Just be willing to grease the wheels of bureaucracy, and you will get what you need.

I'm all for riding dirt bikes on the road, legally. It's the guys working the loopholes that I think make us all look like thugs to cops and wardens. The guys that are riding an obvious dirt bike with a plate from 3 states away are throwing red flags for everyone in my book. I plated my CRF in CT legally, yeah it was a little bit of a pita but it was do-able and I don't have to be constantly worried about getting busted for working a loophole.

Jeff

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    These kinds of threads scare me, because as a long time trail rider who has street registered (not always "Titled") *many* trail bikes over the past 40 years, they risk revealing loopholes in systems that could easily be slammed shut. Some have already occurred. This topic is always a grey area, but less talk, and more personal action will usually get the job done. There is more than enough information in this thread to get started. Just be willing to grease the wheels of bureaucracy, and you will get what you need.
    I know what you mean - but maybe another important aspect to consider is that some (if not all?) of these things shouldn't be seen as loopholes. They're legitimate avenues for us to register motorcycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    I'm all for riding dirt bikes on the road, legally. It's the guys working the loopholes that I think make us all look like thugs to cops and wardens. The guys that are riding an obvious dirt bike with a plate from 3 states away are throwing red flags for everyone in my book. I plated my CRF in CT legally, yeah it was a little bit of a pita but it was do-able and I don't have to be constantly worried about getting busted for working a loophole.
    That's easy to say if your state has an avenue to take. If it does, I think it should be taken. I'm not sure the same is true in MA (or NY?). Especially with 20 year old bikes that were never titled, spent their life in someone's barn, has since changed hands 10 times, and any original paperwork is long since lost. It's really frustrating that it feels like legislators completely ignore people who aren't buying some new civic from a dealership.

nedirtriders.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast