Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Please help me solve this sales tax puzzle

xxaarraa

Please help me solve this sales tax puzzle

Hey guys,

Here is the situation - trying to get an ORV sticker by registering the trail bike with DEP. I have street legal plates, duplicate registration (does not list sales tax paid) and title (in MA), but don't have the sales tax receipt. I found this obscure link that supposedly lets you reprint a sales tax receipt:

https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/webfile/...6/reprint.aspx

It wants sale date and tax amount. Who the fuck remembers tax amount?! I looked at my checkbook and I paid $233.44 for the whole transaction. Can anyone help me back into the actual sales tax amount? Is it a $75 title and $20 reg fee for street motorcycles?

Is there another way to get the sales tax receipt without taking a day off and jumping through hoops? I disliked the rude fat lady even when she was processing my transaction and now I genuinely hate her.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 04-30-13 at 06:20 AM.

Lifer

Re: Please help me solve this sales tax puzzle

Is the street registration current, and in your name? The reason I ask is because other folks have walked in with a street registration as *proof* of sales tax paid - and been successful, reasoning that one can not obtain a street registration without paying it. Other folks have run into the same situation (person?) that you have, and nothing seems to satisfy the requirement except the sales tax receipt.
    If they are going to require dual-registration, they should really make an attempt to iron out this bug in the system. It makes me want to believe that they want to make it difficult...... OTOH, this is a typical Gov't system - Broken.
    In an attempt to help, maybe the DOR can help you, if you go there in person? They are only a block away from the Springfield RMV.

xxaarraa

Thanks Greg. I agree, if someone has a registration, it is only logical that they have paid the sales tax. But this system is anything but logical and they should make it easy to follow the rules. Anyway, I spoke with the DOR and the lady had no clue what I was asking and gave me the number of an RMV supervisor. The RMV person was actually pretty helpful and faxed me screenshots of her terminal that shows I paid the sales tax. I am going to take that to the DEP along with everything else and hope that's enough.

xxaarraa

In case anyone was looking for the same information, wanted to share my experience. I went to the EPO at Causeway St in Boston and the folks that work there were perfectly pleasant and full of common sense. They looked at my street registration and said sales tax already paid, and within 4 minutes, I walked out with the ORV sticker. Didn't ask me for anything else. They looked me up in the system with my street plate number and did everything they needed to do. Extremely different atmosphere there compared to the DMV, and a positive one.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!