Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please wear your gear

Please wear your gear

Last night was one of the most painful nights of my life scrubbing away the road rash from totaling my bike on the highway.

Everyone says it but you'll never appreciate the advice until you're in this situation.

Sweatshirt and jeans are nothing, they rip off within a second.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by danny86; 08-29-09 at 06:57 PM.

Lifer

Re: Please wear your gear

Sorry about your crash and glad it's only road rash. I'd be interested to hear how a highway accident doesn't cause more bodily harm.

The bike can be relpaced. Hopefully the skin will heal reasonably well. You're alive and that's the best news.

It is hard to force yourself/myself to dress for the crash when I just want to enjoy the ride.

Please don't underestimate "only roadrash"! People have died from "only road rash".
    If the body receives enough road rash, it can be overcome by infectious attack. The immune system is overwhelmed. The "ATGATT" gang aren't all anal little dweebs. Some of us have paid some dues.
    Even in hot weather, a little sweat is easier to deal with than a little road rash. Fortunately, modern warm weather gear makes a little sweat, even less, compared with older more conventional apparel. Unfortunately, it is hard to get these points across to those who put "looking cool" above all else.
    I hope you heal up soon, and can get back in the saddle.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sorry about your crash heal up quick

Mike (Stan) Facebook username = MJStanley508
    2006 Suzuki GSXR 600
    Yoshi R-55 Slip-on, PUIG rear hugger, PUIG windscreen, Pazzo levers, 6k HID kit

....learned this when I was young. Spent two weeks in the hospital with daily 'debreeding?' sessions where they soaked me in a hot tub then scraped away the dead skin.

you're right danny...the most exquisitely painful experience I have ever had.

When we old farts pass on our advice, it's normally based on experience we are trying to help others avoid.

Maybe hearing it from a young fart like you will reach a few more.

(Interesting that there are a couple of folks on the forum who SHOULD know better yet continue to promote the 'wear what you want' philosophy. Especially disconcerting because some of them are older and looked up to by younger members...that is irresponsible in my mind but, hey, it's an open forum and a free country.)

Last edited by DucDave; 08-29-09 at 07:31 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Sorry to hear about your crash, and I agree with your statement.

I am one of the ATGATT riders, and people around here just don't seem to get it. Out west there are more riders who wear gear. Not always full gear, but you don't see as many people with shorts and t-shirts as you do around here. When people make fun of me for dressing like some futuristic space man I ask them "Do you wear your seatbelt when you drive?" if not, then move on to abs and air bags. My bike doesn't have crumple zones, or air bags, or abs, or traction control, or seat belts, and a very narrow margin of error. This heavy leather jumpsuit is my safety net. Yes, it gets hot on warm summer days, and it weighs more than a sweatshirt, and it can be difficult to move around in at times, but I'd rather keep the outside out and the insides in. You never know where that Accord is lurking, and it WILL attack at some point. Ride with the mindset that everyone on the road is out to get you, and you'll get there safer.

Last edited by ZoomSplat; 08-29-09 at 07:33 AM.
    On the cutting edge of mediocrity.

Tougher than a lion Sportygurl131's Avatar

hope you have a quick recovery, as many patients with road rash... have a long painful recovery.. skin sloughing etc!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto
    Subaru love is so sweet.
    qoute from a fellow nesrian

You crazy bitch!!

2003 sv650s copper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Sportygurl is probably your best bet for meeting and making new friends, she is like the social director or ambassador or something for NESR.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ....learned this when I was young. Spent two weeks in the hospital with daily 'debreeding?' sessions where they soaked me in a hot tub then scraped away the dead skin.

When we old farts pass on our advice, it's normally based on experience we are trying to help others avoid.

(Interesting that there are a couple of folks on the forum who SHOULD know better yet continue to promote the 'wear what you want' philosophy. Especially disconcerting because some of them are older and looked up to by younger members...that is irresponsible in my mind but, hey, it's an open forum and a free country.)
    Its just like everything else

People say dont smoke it causes cancer
    Dont eat alot of fast food you'll get fat
    dont text n drive
    etc.

you never learn unless you reach the punishment, then if your survive you'll abide by that advice

Lifer

The truth is that most of us are experiential learners. All the lecturing and well-meant advice in the world is often for naught.

Until the "bad thing" happens to us, we aren't listening.

The real measure may be what happens after we learn from our own experience.

On the infernal and eternal gear question, I'm always more interested in the thought process of those who don't wear all the gear after having been down on the street.

I'm not an evangelist about this, though. I wear what I want. You wear what you want. If you ask me, I'll share my thoughts, but I won't corner you into accepting ATGATT as your personal savior.

Glad you survived the crash. Hope you heal quickly and well. Never good to hear of another rider in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

Hey when you ride do you wear full leathers all the time? I always wear everything but leather pants. Eventually I want to get some kevlar jeans and maybe some padded shorts for under them. I just don't ever see myself wearing full leathers to head to the corner store or the mall. That is just me though. More power to ya if you gear up fully when ever you get on the bike.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Sorry to to hear about your crash danny. Unfortunately it takes something like this to realize that appropriate gear is essential. If someone thinks they'll never crash, think again! It has happened to me, several times! Some pretty severe! Enough to scare me for ten years, 1999 to 2009. Resistance was futile, I'm back on a bike. But I lived to do this again. So many don't!!

Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    Last night was one of the most painful nights of my life scrubbing away the road rash from totaling my bike on the highway.

Everyone says it but you'll never appreciate the advice until you're in this situation.

Sweatshirt and jeans are nothing, they rip off within a second.
    "highway " I`m thinkin you`re lucky to have any skin left at all. Sorry to hear you went down and looks like a lesson learned about the gear . Hope you have a speedy and not too painful recovery. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad youre around to share it. I have always worn gear and have multiple sets of it. Most recently I have struggled with the decision to wear it or not. Maybe cause it was SO hot the last few weeks. I will take this thread to heart and keep wearing my gear! Thanks.

Glad yer relatively ok Danny! I am one of the ATGATT crowd, if it's too hot for gear it's too hot to ride. Regards, Jake

Doc MUST be sleeping in or at work this morning...........

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Glad yer relatively ok Danny! I am one of the ATGATT crowd, if it's too hot for gear it's too hot to ride. Regards, Jake

Doc MUST be sleeping in or at work this morning...........
    I'm covering for him this morning....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Have a speedy recovery...and I hear ya on the advice. About 6 years ago I crashed going over 100 with only a T-shirt, jeans, boots, gloves, and helmet. Roadrash sucks (I think I'd prefer broken bones to it). But after I healed I always wore full gear whenever I went out for a ride.

It's easier to sweat off a couple of pounds than to grind it off!!

What' going on Danny? I saw your post on 1000rr.net as well. Keep spreading the good word man. Like I said there, personally I don't care it is over 100 degrees out there I'm still wearing my leathers.

first off... glad you are still with us to post about it.

personally i've been ATGATT for afew years now...i wasn't always though.... when people ask why i'm now ATGATT, i just point at the scars.

i'm the guy you see walking around the Newport shops in full leathers carrying his back protector or at the mall with knee pucks on. go ahead people stare...i don't mind.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Dont tell me how to live my life.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I understand the expense of gear that's applicable for all weather conditions, it took me quite some time to amass:

- Full Leathers (one piece)
    - 2 Piece Leathers (Pants + Jacket, zip together)
    - 2 Piece Textile suit (Pants + Jacket, non zip together)
    - Summer Mesh Jacket

+ 3 helmets, 4-5 sets of gloves, 2 sets of boots (I still need some daily riding boots..)

But one incident like this and the ~$3000 investment in gear is well.... a drop in the bucket.

Heal up buddy, if one person learns from this and has gear when it happens to them, then maybe it's worth it

CCS/LRRS #83

Glad you're okay man. ATGATT for sure. I only had a small patch on my hip and I dreaded scrubbing that thing every morning. It's just getting better 4 weeks later. Thanks for sharing man and here's to a speedy recovery.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

I know how it feels to go down on the pavement...Though not on a motorcycle...as on my road bicycle going 20-25mph with my buds and I took a 30 ft scraping...my shirt and shorts ripped up like nothing...I had a helmet which saved my life but I had a broken arm from my ex husband riding on top of me for the distance....many scars from surgery and burns....total ATGATT advocate!!!
    Hope you heal soon!!!

Three motorcycle accidents since I started riding in 1983.

Three injuries, all of them could have been avoided if I had been riding with full gear.

I'm glad to hear you're ok. I hope you heal soon.

Last edited by gadget; 08-29-09 at 10:52 AM.
    Sam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast