Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Polaris Slingshot

Re: Polaris Slingshot

I was at Mom's South a couple weeks ago where they have a few of these on display and spoke to one of the sales guys about it.

Yes, they offer test drives
    It gets registered as a motorcycle
    Nanny features can indeed be disabled
    There are bolt-on forced induction kits that work

Thing looks unreal in person

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I was at Mom's South a couple weeks ago where they have a few of these on display and spoke to one of the sales guys about it.

Yes, they offer test drives
    It gets registered as a motorcycle
    Nanny features can indeed be disabled
    There are bolt-on forced induction kits that work

Thing looks unreal in person
    NOT, what I wanted to hear. Might be time to break out that line of credit I have with Polaris.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

I test drove the sling shot in November at Rt 3A Motors. My father put a deposit down on one after the ride. He doesn't ride motorcycles and never had an interest in 2 wheels. He's getting his endorsement just to own the slingshot. Although Polaris calls this a motorcycle and it's registered as such, I don't think anyone is buying this while comparing it to anything on 2 wheels. Polaris is so set on marketing this as a motorcycle because they don't want to have to go through all the safety garbage that comes with designing a "car." (crash tests, airbags, safety glass, ect) If they did, it would be a lot more than $20-$25k. Calling it a motorcycle cuts through a lot of the government red tape BS. They've had trouble getting Texas, Indiana, Connecticut, to jump on board and allow it to be purchased in their states. But they're sorting all that out with plenty of pay offs im sure.

A lot of people hate the Slingshot and a lot of people love it. I myself, thought it was a blast. Its fast, handles very well, and is extremely eye catching (which could be good or bad). For 25k for the fully loaded model, it's still cheaper than most Can-Am Spyders. Ive been on spyders before and the slingshot blows the spyder away in the fun department. If you get a chance to drive one, do it, I can guarantee you'll have a shit eating grin on your face.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I haven't driven one yet but I hear a lot of complaints about the brakes and the amount of steering input needed to get it to really get into the twisties. People seem to complain about the sluggish revs that's attributed to the ecu programming. How did you find the ride? Did you sense any of that?

Did a salesperson ride along with you or did they let you take it out by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I haven't driven one yet but I hear a lot of complaints about the brakes and the amount of steering input needed to get it to really get into the twisties. People seem to complain about the sluggish revs that's attributed to the ecu programming. How did you find the ride? Did you sense any of that?
    Ive read about the sluggish revs and RPM hanging. I only went out for a 20 min test drive, but in that 20 min I didn't have any complaints about any throttle input. I was beating on it pretty good. I'm sure if there are problems down the road with the ecu that they'll be corrected.

Brakes left something to be desired, they weren't bad, I just needed to apply more pressure than I thought I would have. I'd prefer a lighter feel on the brakes but I wouldn't necessarily consider them crappy.

The steering was more of a go kart than a typical car. For example, when I took it on the highway, as I changed into the left lane I turned the wheel slightly left and SS predictably went into the left lane. If you were in a car you simply stop providing steering input and the car will track straight again. With the SS you need to, ever so slightly, steer back to the right to get the SS to track straight again once you're in your lane. It's hard to explain and if you go on a test drive and experiment with the steering I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

The best part of the whole vehicle is shifting through the gears. The transmission is so butter smooth that you get excited when its time to shift.

I warned my old man about buying the first model year and maybe letting them work any potential bugs out but he seems fine with being a guinea pig for Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex Punchtop View Post
    Did a salesperson ride along with you or did they let you take it out by yourself?
    At Rt3A Motorsports they let you go by yourself. Not sure about MOMs or the other dealers. When we went there was a line of people waiting for test rides. One guy was gone for 45 minutes and they didn't say boo to him. I took my father out on one ride and my mother out on another later that day. They don't have their endorsements but both wanted to experience the ride before putting money down.

Last edited by Swizz; 12-27-14 at 10:34 AM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    ... With the SS you need to, ever so slightly, steer back to the right to get the SS to track straight again once you're in your lane. It's hard to explain and if you go on a test drive and experiment with the steering I think you'll know what I'm talking about.
    i know exactly what you mean. my MILs civic is like that. i swore it was broken

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

you know what...fuck that slingshot...Ariel Nomad brings back the dune buggy | Fox News

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    you know what...fuck that slingshot...Ariel Nomad brings back the dune buggy | Fox News
    Looks fun but at $50k id buy a RZR

so you have to countersteer it?

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Essentially yeah. I neglected to use that term because I didn't want people to get an impression that the steering was dodgy or something. I only had to "countersteer" while changing lanes on the highway and it was only slightly. Negotiating regular turns and bends I never noticed myself doing any sort of countersteering. Take my review with a grain of salt too. I had 2, 20 min test rides so I wouldn't say I got a feel for all the pros and cons of the SS. When my parents bring one home I'm sure I'll have more input.

Last edited by Swizz; 12-28-14 at 12:20 PM.

Lifer

40 minutes of test rides is more than any of us have or will likely get so your a big source of information. Cant wait to hear back from you once you get to put some real miles on one.
    I'm already second guessing getting one. Rumors of a 3rd model and updates to next years one already in the works makes me want to wait it out. I need as much information as i can get.

Please use that term carefully, as there are those that still believe "countersteering" bikes doesn't exist. OP said the thing has a wheel, so I think he means only a slight correction is necessary to straighten up after changing lanes.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    40 minutes of test rides is more than any of us have or will likely get so your a big source of information. Cant wait to hear back from you once you get to put some real miles on one.
    I'm already second guessing getting one. Rumors of a 3rd model and updates to next years one already in the works makes me want to wait it out. I need as much information as i can get.
    If it was my $25k I'd be a little hesitant. I'm not one to buy first model year toys. My old man doesn't seem to care though he just wants the damn thing. The SS is something brand new in so many ways. Theres gonna be problems with it but it's only going to improve. If you have the patience theres no harm in waiting. If you buy it your still gonna have a blast.

Last edited by Swizz; 12-28-14 at 07:05 PM.

Although I'm sure there are no Slingshots riding around New England today...

Slingshot misfires, part II - Common Tread - RevZilla

everyone has recalls. i dont see the big deal

any other input on these?

since it's registered as a motorcycle in CA, I get carpool lane access to work! (lower performance?) car engine makes me hope the maintenance on it isn't too expensive or frequent

I might be renting one soon...reviews make it sound like a B+ student...it's not bad, but pretty good! just not excellent...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-19-15 at 10:46 AM.

My neighbor has had one for a while. like a few months.

Paul_E_D

Saw one in westerly ri last night people taking pics of it like it was the bat mobile.

My father has had his for several months. 5k miles so far so good. Everywhere he goes people flock around you to take photos. Starting to see a lot more around my area as well. Took a ride with him up Rt1A along the seacoast. It puts a shit eattin grin on your face the whole time your driving it and everybody waves and takes pictures. Not the most subtle way to travel. But I'm sure the newness will wear off once people start seeing more of them

that's what I wanted to hear...I want it!!!

next step: when buying a house, pick one with sufficient garage space for a slingshot, FZR600, harley, YZ250, and xr100...the sport/dirt bikes can fit around a slingshot in a single car garage; but the huge hunky harley that I'd get will almost need a bay of its own...and slingshot has to come out every time I'm working on a bike. Nvm...my dream-life-within-reach definitely needs a 2 car garage.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-19-15 at 08:47 PM.

that's what I wanted to hear...I want it!!!

next step: when buying a house, pick one with sufficient garage space for a slingshot, FZR600, harley, YZ250, and xr100...the sport/dirt bikes can fit around a slingshot in a single car garage; but the huge hunky harley that I'd get will almost need a bay of its own...and slingshot has to come out every time I'm working on a bike. Nvm...my dream-life-within-reach definitely needs a 2 car garage.
    step 1: ditch the POS Harley...

Saw one in Mass the other day. The riders/passengers were not wearing helmets, I thought these things could only pass as motorcycles? Were these two bound for a ticket??

saw one on top of Mt Washington

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast