Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Police chase ends badly in Marshfield

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Hopefully the innocent people that became victims here file a suit against the officer. Their lives should not be put in danger by the officer's desicions.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    Hopefully the innocent people that became victims here file a suit against the officer. Their lives should not be put in danger by the officer's desicions.
    Well its hard to say whos at fault here. I guess the officer should have stopped chasing but the dead biker is just as much at fault or more since he was the one running. Im willing to bet it was over something stupid like a speeding ticket too. Its not hard to just stop for the blue lights. Ive done it and came out just fine. The state trooper actually thanked me for not running and in the end because of it my ticket got thrown out.

James

Littering and........

The rider obviously shares some fault, but the police officers shouldn't be chasing them. They will never, ever catch them, and so the only other way it ends is like this.

I'm pretty sure that in NY State, the police are not allowed to chase sportbikes for more than a prescribed amount of time (I think its 60 seconds).

...oh boy...here we go....

lets see if I can predict the rest of this thread...

42.4% will blame the motorcyclist
    52.6 % will blame the cop
    5% will try to find a balance and will be soundly beat upon by the preceeding 95%.

And all of us will agree that these type of stories don't do wonders for the image of either....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Well its hard to say whos at fault here. I guess the officer should have stopped chasing but the dead biker is just as much at fault or more since he was the one running. Im willing to bet it was over something stupid like a speeding ticket too. Its not hard to just stop for the blue lights. Ive done it and came out just fine. The state trooper actually thanked me for not running and in the end because of it my ticket got thrown out.
    If there was no chase there wouldn't be a dead person, three injured people and four totaled vehicles. And what would be lost? Ego? $100 in revenue from the ticket? The cop crashed his car into innocent people. Who's fault is it the officer couldn't control his car and who should suffer for it? You don't think he could have taken down the plate and radio'ed ahead? What should be the cost of enforcing traffic laws?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    And all of us will agree that these type of stories don't do wonders for the image of either....

Too much of this shit going on this season. Chases, deaths. This doesn't make motorcyclists look like the good guys, does it?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

pull over! enough said.

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...oh boy...here we go....

lets see if I can predict the rest of this thread...

42.4% will blame the motorcyclist
    52.6 % will blame the cop
    5% will try to find a balance and will be soundly beat upon by the preceeding 95%.

42.4% of me wants to blame the rider, 52.6% of me wants to blame the cop, and 5% of me blames both, but 100% of me would rather drink a beer and not blame anyone. There's a dead rider and others injured, who cares who's at fault...just my .02

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    pull over! enough said.
    It is indeed enough said.

Unfortunately, there will *always* be people who feel the need to break the law. (Thus, I will always have a job. ) For those people, rules need to be in place to keep innocent bystanders from being harmed, like in this case.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    pull over! enough said.

That is not enough said. You can't make an idiot pull over, so if he decides not to should your life be put in danger on your way home to your family, or their life on their way home to you.

If there was no chase there wouldn't be a dead person, three injured people and four totaled vehicles. And what would be lost? Ego? $100 in revenue from the ticket? The cop crashed his car into innocent people. Who's fault is it the officer couldn't control his car and who should suffer for it? You don't think he could have taken down the plate and radio'ed ahead? What should be the cost of enforcing traffic laws?
    Im not disagreeing with you. A lot of things could have been done differently. If the biker just stopped it would have all be avoided as well and there wouldnt be a dead biker and injured people and totaled cars. Even if the cop did radio ahead with the plate number I bet the dude still wouldnt have stopped or would have done everything he could have to avoid whatever was ahead.

Its a situation that shouldnt happen at anytime.

James

Looks like a cruiser/harley to me that went up in flames.

The blame lies almost fully on the rider. The cop was doing his job, and perhaps should have called the chase off, but he was trying to apprehend the biker. It's not fair to blame the cop. If the bike had stopped there would not have been the same outcome.

well ill play devils advocate, the ones saying the biker should not have been persued, what if, thats a big "what if" the biker got away, and then ran someone over later on that night because he was riding intoxicated? i agree there should be a limit or more common sense when officers persue a biker, im sure it is a hard judgement to make. but because of the officers judgement as well as the riders judgement, a simple ticket has turned into a big ole shitty situation where no one cant blamed completely.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    well ill play devils advocate, the ones saying the biker should not have been persued, what if, thats a big "what if" the biker got away, and then ran someone over later on that night because he was riding intoxicated? i agree there should be a limit or more common sense when officers persue a biker, im sure it is a hard judgement to make. but because of the officers judgement as well as the riders judgement, a simple ticket has turned into a big ole shitty situation where no one cant blamed completely.
    That's a big what if. Have you ever once heard of it happening? I would think someone that just 'got away' from near jail time would not continue cruising the streets at a high rate of speed and drawing more attention to themselves. I think they'd be off the streets as soon as they possiibly could since the police are looking for them and they're facing serious consiquences. On the other hand, this is the third story of a police chase causing death or injury to innocent people so far this season and locally.

If a cop loses control of his car while pulling over a speeder, or crashes into you on his way to a low priority call who do you blame? Do you blame the speeder? I for one am a fan of accountability.

...dead motorcyclists don't reproduce...at least not after they're dead...(as far as we know)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Its tricky, no? Both sides make legitimate arguments - we don't even know why the officer initiated the chase in the bike in the first place. hell, it could have been loud pipes or a misplaced license plate.

should cops chase? to a point, they should but not to the point where 2 vehicles are fliying down a 2 lane road in excess of 100mph.

I'm curious, is there a cutoff for when chose give up chase? I've been nabbed at 115 in a car (literally had no idea there was a cop around at all, he was hidden in the woods really deep, and I was completely clueless until he was was about 500 yards behind me)

That's a big what if. Have you ever once heard of it happening? I would think someone that just 'got away' from near jail time would not continue cruising the streets at a high rate of speed and drawing more attention to themselves. I think they'd be off the streets as soon as they possiibly could since the police are looking for them and they're facing serious consiquences.
    i agree with you that if i just ran from the cops, id be home with my bike under covers in the garage asap. but my hypothetical situation was that what if he was drunk or intoxicated? im just saying the police officer has an obligation as part of his job to pull people over so that they dont harm others with their driving. as in this case, obviously it can do more harm then good.

im thankful he removed himself from the gene pool.

Darwinism at its best.

I Dance With Will

in other countries they shoot the runner. you better watch your mirror often because if you miss seeing the blue light you're going down. itd be like cowboy country and also the highest cc bike is what? 250cc?

there's other ways to catch a real criminal.

"fuckit!"

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    in other countries they shoot the runner. you better watch your mirror often because if you miss seeing the blue light you're going down. itd be like cowboy country and also the highest cc bike is what? 250cc?

there's other ways to catch a real criminal.

When I was in Jamaica, they were doing vehicle safety inspections by standing in the middle of the road with AK-47s. If they thought your car looked unsafe, you parked it in their impound lot. Or bribed them, whichever occurred first.

The results of running seemed apparent......

Quote Originally Posted by 06ZX6R View Post
    im thankful he removed himself from the gene pool.

Darwinism at its best.
    Im not so sure I agree with this. I hate to see anyone get hurt or killed no matter whos at fault. This guy just made a bad decision and paid for it with his life. If people are more likely to stop because of this then I guess his death isnt a total loss.

As for checking mirrors. I check mine a lot. Mainly because Im forced to lead a lot of rides and I check to make sure Im not losing everyone. I also check because there is always a jackass out there that will ride your ass and Im not about to get rear ended.

James

I don't feel sorry for the rider! I feel sorry for the innocent people that were injured. As for the police officer that crashed, he should be held resposible for his part in the crash. Hell, he is supposed to be a professional driver after all!

the cop/perp should be charged with vehicular homicide.

jim

"Molon labe"

I Dance With Will

ok gene pool. you should also believe the inocent is also part of the gene pool then. it's like all those getting struck by lightning. they're all innocent.

man i feel bad the poor rabbit left outside on the street. it was apparently abandon so i took it home and now i have a pet rabbit. so cute. looks like highsider. i post pic later.

"fuckit!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast