Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Police ZX-10

Re: Police ZX-10

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I was answering your question of what makes this machine blatently illegal. I couldn't care less about who personally owns the bike but I love the politics involved with having certain things that are approved with this machine such as the paint.

If it's a show vehicle then why isn't it trailered like every other proper show vehicle which is illegal for the public roads? Instead this guy gets to ride around anywhere he pleases and all he has to say is "I'm on my way to display this machine".

Fact is, any modification from OEM is illegal so yes, the fender eliminator is illegal as is the nitrous oxide system....unless you're suggesting that I can eliminate the fenders from my truck, trailer and anything else I operate and still be within compliance of the law while sending a 300-shot into the motor of any of my vehicles.

Again, I couldn't give two shits about the owner, the bike or anyone associated with it. I just find the politics invovled with things of this nature simply amazing and ridiculous all at the same time.

Another thing I love is that there are few posts where the owner seemingly sports some kind of gear with a police badge on it which could dance on the impersonation of an officer line but that argument is negated by the fact that he's an officer......who, by the way, is operating a civilian vehicle that's supposed to be for show but is also painted up to represent a police vehicle.

Wanna know why I'm not crazy about you guys? The enforcers of the law are also the worst offenders but who are lucky enough to be protected by politics in order to make breaking those laws acceptable.

I'm not sure why you keep missing the point that the bike is legally registered with proper permits to be on the road.

I also don't know who informed you that any modification to a motor vehicle is illegal. If I paint my Jeep black when it was silver is that illegal? I welcome you to show the chapter and section stating that any modification of a motor vehicle is illegal.

I have searched the Massachusetts General Laws regarding nitrous both professionally and personally and have not located a statute that states you can not have it.

The Officer is unable to impersonate something that he legitimately is therefore I find that argument was only for the sake of having said argument. Since I am unaware in my training and experience that there is any regulation saying that while off duty I cannot wear any portion of my uniform and or badge etc. which identifies me as a police officer. I again ask that you supply a MGL or Code of Massachusetts Regulation (CMR) to that effect.

MGL 268 s. 33 states that a CITIZEN commits a crime by pretending to be a police officer and "acting as such or requiring a person to aid or assist him in a matter pertaining to the duty of such officer." In short, the impersonator must pretend and act like he is a police officer.

Therefore, a person who is IN FACT a police officer cannot be said to be impersonating one under Massachusetts law.

The fact that this vehicle is painted as a police vehicle is again an invalid argument since the purpose of the vehicle authorized by the department it represents is to be a police sportbike. This of course requires the motorcycle to look like a police vehicle. This police motorcycle is not used as a patrol vehicle that is correct. It's purpose is for shows, parades, events and the like. These things do not negate the fact that the town has authorized the vehicle to display it's markings and that the registry of motor vehicles has issued a permit allowing the installation and operation of the lights on said vehicle. Again the vehicle is legally registered and permitted to be operated on public roads, at any time, regardless of destination.

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BigShel View Post
    I ment on your Motorcycle, not Vehicle? I think if the Po Po gave out tickets for Illegal motorcycle exhaust they would be real busy and run out of tickets real quick. I mean Every sport bike that I see has a after market Exhaust...
    Giving a ticket for a loud exhaust is not as easy as one would think. There are specific decibel readings at specific distances at specific rpms required to be in violation.

A car simply states any modification making the vehicle louder then stock. I suggest anyone on a motorcycle who receives a ticket for loud exhaust that wasn't measured by a decibel meter etc. to appeal it. Most departments do not have the proper equipment to measure these levels.

Mike

Just thought I'd contribute in a non helpful way.

It's a cool bike, the guy seems like a decent guy. Yeah, the police get away with a lot of shit that the rest of us wouldn't, but I think you'd be used to that by now. There is something about the bike that doesn't sit quite right with me, but hey, at least it's not a Harley.

I work closely with police on a regular basis and I would say that there is a roughly 70-30 ratio of assholes to decent guys. Or maybe 65-35. Yeah, there are a lot of shitty cops on power trips, but there are certainly some good ones. Those are just the ones that don't stick in your mind.

I Dance With Will

why does ashland police need a show sportbike? are they selling something?

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by VinceF2 View Post
    I'm not sure why you keep missing the point that the bike is legally registered with proper permits to be on the road.
    I am missing nothing. Ashland police have effectively taken a show vehicle and put on public roads. That opportunity is further protected with politics by means of bending and stretching the legality of the ability to operate a show vehicle as a legal form of transportation by means of the owner personally registering the vehicle under his name which now legally enables this machine to operate in a civilian environment but somehow it's a police show vehicle. So the reality of it is it is no longer a show vehicle but a legal form of a replicated police vehicle with permits associated with it in order to display the official badging and such which causes Joe Public to believe that Ashland police have a ZX-10 in operation which in fact they don't.

Since it has been dubbed a show vehicle, if anything there should be absolutely no civilian registration of that vehicle. Does that bike receive a state inspection every year? If so, how is it still considered a show vehicle?

If it's an honest show vehicle it should be treated much like the DARE vehicles yet somehow, based on what I'm reading, it plainly isn't. But because the boss said it's okay and supplied some paperwork, that, in your mind, makes it perfectly fine. It isn't. The very existence of that bike dances all over legal gray areas any time it's being ridden on public thruways or registered every year.

I'd go searching for the laws that say any modification from OEM is illegal but I really have better things to do.

I'm done wasting my time on this. Your mindset on this topic is exactly what I was talking about when I said officers are "...enforcers of the law [who] are also the worst offenders but who are lucky enough to be protected by politics in order to make breaking those laws acceptable."

EDIT: And for the record, I don't dislike police officers as people however I do dislike what the job turns some of those people into.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 07-26-10 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I am missing nothing. Ashland police have effectively taken a show vehicle and put on public roads. That opportunity is further protected with politics by means of bending and stretching the legality of the ability to operate a show vehicle as a legal form of transportation by means of the owner personally registering the vehicle under his name which now legally enables this machine to operate in a civilian environment but somehow it's a police show vehicle. So the reality of it is it is no longer a show vehicle but a legal form of a replicated police vehicle with permits associated with it in order to display the official badging and such which causes Joe Public to believe that Ashland police have a ZX-10 in operation which in fact they don't.

Since it has been dubbed a show vehicle, if anything there should be absolutely no civilian registration of that vehicle. Does that bike receive a state inspection every year? If so, how is it still considered a show vehicle?

If it's an honest show vehicle it should be treated much like the DARE vehicles yet somehow, based on what I'm reading, it plainly isn't. But because the boss said it's okay and supplied some paperwork, that, in your mind, makes it perfectly fine. It isn't. The very existence of that bike dances all over legal gray areas any time it's being ridden on public thruways or registered every year.

I'd go searching for the laws that say any modification from OEM is illegal but I really have better things to do.

I'm done wasting my time on this. Your mindset on this topic is exactly what I was talking about when I said officers are "...enforcers of the law [who] are also the worst offenders but who are lucky enough to be protected by politics in order to make breaking those laws acceptable."

EDIT: And for the record, I don't dislike police officers as people however I do dislike what the job turns some of those people into.

My mindset is that the vehicle is legally registered and operated. I wish you would research your claims so that we could continue this debate.

And please don't presume to know me, or what my job as made me. I don't know you and don't presume to.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VinceF2 View Post
    My mindset is that the vehicle is legally registered and operated. I wish you would research your claims so that we could continue this debate.

And please don't presume to know me, or what my job as made me. I don't know you and don't presume to.

Mike
    So it isn't a show vehicle then we just decide to call it that whenever it's convenient. Fair enough.

FWIW, my edit wasn't directly about you. I'd rather not have people read my replies thinking I'm some cop hater because, believe it or not, I get along just fine with the officials who are local to me.

This is such a touchy subject

I agree with paul on this one, in the case of line this bike resides on/over.

regardless of ownership the FACT is that for any civilian to own/operate this type of custom (not factoring in the "police package") but with the exhaust etc... authority will always "want" to question the legality of the equipment, but to me this comes down to the owner in how/where they ride and their amount of respect/disrespect for authority. As well as the LEO's view of the sportbike/biker

obviously if its used as a test of authoritative limits in the hands of a civilian this is a loosing battle (how many mods can i get away with). every point raised against this bike is more than valid. if this bike was used responsibly by a civilian, i cant say how that would go, i have known plenty of folks with illegal mods on all types of vehicles and 9/10 its not an issue. it may be an issue when inspection time rolls around, and this also raises the point that because the bike "represents" LE will it pass no questions asked BECAUSE what it symbolizes, whereas joe shmoe fails, is penalized etc...

also there in lies the major concern, to what extent is this vehicle used as a LE tool? which has been stated many times over, but no matter what the answer, the abuse of this tool is the question in most peoples mind. Not saying its what was intended or even considered, but the bike itself is on a line that is so blurred, that it may be a matter of time before that one situation brings this tool to the front and suddenly all of our minor concerns become real and contradictory to what "Law Enforcement" means to most of us.

Granted it is generally understood/believed that to enforce the law you must be held to a higer standard of the law, but the reality is that on both sides grey areas and loop holes are used all the friggin time and it works out for the benefit of both sides, eg think about the one time you SHOULD have got a ticket instead got a warning. given the potential it still comes down to those who enforce may/do abuse some of the laws we as civilians have no leiniency with, and we all know/know of someone who has seen this first hand.

but again the points being raised are 100% valid and can't be dismissed because of emotional/personal ties to anything in this bikes category. First and foremost is that LE is a PUBLIC service, so we as the PUBLIC have every right to question absolutely every aspect of what our tax money does/can/will go to. in this case its clear that its a personal bike, but again the line is blurred when it comes to intent...

imo as it stands right now, this represents 2 sides very well, both sport bikes and LE for the fact it shows that LE is accepting of the sportbiking community and in this case embraces it. not as a tool for fear, but as a tool to showcase possibility... possibility/intent/use are the major questions that are being asked. the specifics are semantics to the questions; Will i get pulled over by this bike that is more illegal than mine? Is my tax money in anyway being spent on something clearly outside the requirements I/we have to follow? Is it an abuse of power?

Only time will tell what the final outcome of this is, most likely nothing, and if it will in anyway effect us negatively as citizens...

but most importantly is the percptions of the arguments. While i have nothing but respect for LE i find when they see that their profession is questioned in anyway they get very deffensive. at the same time when LE fires back us regualr folk get very defencive as well... it boils down to perception being reality. We have power in numbers and this can be just as corrupted as a small number of powerful officials all trying to SHOW their perception of the facts.

ultimately, the only thing that will stop this argument is faith from us citizens that regardless of what it appears to be, it is used for only "show purposes" and restraint from the LE and their ability to abuse this tool. Its the honor system here, and sadly we as a population are so jaded overall that not only do we immediately see the worst case scenario, we expect it. conversely LE is at a point where the law is flexibile in the hands of those who protect it, as long as the greater good is comfortable and maintained.

This bike brings out the major views in our society and i see this is its greatest attribute. it will breed better understanding from both sides as more conversations are sparked over this bike alone...

Is my point all there?

cliff notes

Something Something Something Dark Side

Something Something Something The Force

Sportbike Community: "I really can't stand how all cops hate sportbikes"

Meanwhile, an Ashland Police Officer decides to meld his duties as an officer and his passion for sportbikes into a unique idea with what seem to be only good intentions.

The same Sportbike Community: "Oh fuck that guy and his abuse of power and his illegal bike"

Did I miss something? Until someone sees this bike with someone pulled over, banging wheelies on 495, or just riding like a douche in general, I fail to see how this has a negative impact on the overall image and perception of sportbikes. I would wager the number of people with a negative view on sportbikes prior to seeing this bike and then being convinced that they are not all bad far exceeds the possibility of the opposite happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post

Meanwhile, an Ashland Police Officer decides to meld his duties as an officer and his passion for sportbikes into a unique idea with what seem to be only good intentions.

The same Sportbike Community: "Oh fuck that guy and his abuse of power and his illegal bike"

Did I miss something? Until someone sees this bike with someone pulled over, banging wheelies on 495, or just riding like a douche in general, I fail to see how this has a negative impact on the overall image and perception of sportbikes. I would wager the number of people with a negative view on sportbikes prior to seeing this bike and then being convinced that they are not all bad far exceeds the possibility of the opposite happening.
    well said my friend... well said..

as ive said, ive met the owner of this bike, ive spoken to the owner of this bik.. the owner of this bike is cool as a hell and just wants to ride. he's an officer that spent HIS OWN MONEY to build this bike, WITH CONSENT FROM ASHLAND PD to do so. he doesnt ride around fucking with people.. matter of fact he was telling me how bummed he gets when he pulls up to people and they wig out thinking the have to ride all prim and proper.. he'll run the twisties with ANY of you if you want to.. so if you see this guy, give him a thumbs up for his hard work and for building a bike that .... lets face it.... we ALL PRAY the state doesnt decide to build... my hats off to you Man.. GREAT JOB!! dont hate him cuz it's beautiful...

you wanna ride.. give me a call at Landric's. I'm in ashland.. stop by 93 Cordaville rd.. far left all the way to the back.
    i'm there nights after 6:30 and weekends after 10am

Last edited by landricscustoms; 07-27-10 at 08:14 AM.
    Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post

+10000 Johnny...

Then again, you seem to forget that the large portion of NESR is dorks racing their keyboards online and not actually riding enthusiasts, so it's not a true representation of the sportbike community... it's a concentrated collective of whiney bitches.

It seems this site has really gone downhill as of late. I thought all this bullshit was supposed to happen in winter? It's gorgeous out, I've been riding every day.

Get the fuck over it and go ride your bike, people.

I hope I see this guy on the road someday... I'll wave to him like I do to every other rider, and complement his nice bike.

Last edited by CEO; 07-27-10 at 08:28 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Get the fuck over it and go ride your bike, people.
    I havent ridden since Loudon

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I Dance With Will

my community:

1) i only care to know a person well. i don't care who he/she is or what he/she does.

2) i don't want to see anything with the batch on it.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

Keith stop lecturing the class.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

Then again, you seem to forget that the large portion of NESR is dorks racing their keyboards online and not actually riding enthusiasts, so it's not a true representation of the sportbike community... it's a concentrated collective of whiney bitches.
    finance issue. cheaper to race with keyboard.

"fuckit!"

Then again, you seem to forget that the large portion of NESR is dorks racing their keyboards online and not actually riding enthusiasts...

Orly Chris? Last I checked, most of my life is surrounded by the riding experience....can't speak for the others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    Keith stop lecturing the class.
    thats not lecture kham,

it is valid resons jerk

wait, is this thread joke?

Last edited by R1; 07-27-10 at 11:19 AM.

Two many 2 strokes

a wrx with a coffee can exhust....hell you deserve a ticket the way those things sound...its not sure if its a volkswagon or a porsche.......LOL...or 4 stroke weed wacker.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by DynoTune View Post
    a wrx with a coffee can exhust....hell you deserve a ticket the way those things sound...its not sure if its a volkswagon or a porsche.......LOL...or 4 stroke weed wacker.
    Don't insult Subies and say it sounds anything like a POS VW.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoTune View Post
    You're out of your mind ... at any rate you can get tickets for aftermarket exhausts.

Posting Freak

I was on 93N this pass Sunday night at about 10PMish in bumper to bumper traffic enjoy the smell of hot blacktop and out of nowhere comes 10 to 15 sportbikes doing about 50MPH between cars(WHITE LINING) WITH THE STATE TROOPERS SITTING ON A DETAIL. This is why most cops hate sportbikes and pork them every chance they get..

Last edited by BigShel; 07-27-10 at 03:45 PM.

What a bunch a retards!

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast