Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My poor baby

My poor baby

Welp, I've had my bike for a little over a month now and everything was going great. "Was" is that key word in that sentance. Yesterday I let a friend of mine ride it. She is not experienced at all but wants to eventually get a bike. I figured that you have to start off somewhere. Afterall, this is my 1st bike and I don't have any problems with it. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass. SHE FUCKING DUMPED IT!!!!! The fairing below the nose piece is going to have to be replaced cuz theres a huge gaping hole in it. The generator cover is all scratched up the clutch lever bent and the nose fairing scuffed up. All in all, if I were to go to the dealership, it would cost me about $460 to get most of the shit replaced. And this doesnt even inculde painting the nose piece.
    Does anyone out there know a place that sells fairings and other motorcycle parts cheap?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My poor baby

She should start off at a MSF course... IMO...

When my wife was learning last year she first road an 80cc dirtbike around the yard because she had neve operated a 2-wheeled motorized anything... than we did at least a week of just take offs in the driveway... straight, while turning and also hill starts... and than took the beginner MSF course... before she even hit the road...

People learn at different speeds... ya know... so the fact that you were able to jump on a YZF and go doesn't mean the same for everyone....

of course this is all hindsight now for you... and I'll probably get bashed cause this post sounds like it should go on "the other site"... and I haven't swore yet... but hey... just throwing my 2 cents in...

I wouldn't be too mad at your friend though... it's inevidable that at some point every new rider will go down... whether standing still or moving... she's just got her's out of the way early... at your bikes expense... hence why I bought my wife her own bike...

Mike

[Edited on 4/12/02 by VinceF2]

My poor baby

That suuuucccks! I also learned my lesson the hard way when I let one of my buddies from school ride my old FZR600. It was his first time on a street bike and sure enough he was able to find and hit a curb in a HUGE parking lot. He was probably only going 10mph when he dumped it but he still managed to do over a $1000 in damage. (He paid for the damages and is still my friend:cool)

If the plastic is too far gone to be repaired Lockhart Phillips at www.lockhartphillips.com has better deals than the dealership. It's probably fair to say though that the fit/form of their body parts isn't quite as good as factory parts.

My poor baby

I'm not at all mad at my friend. Its pretty much my fault. It was my moment of stupidity that allowed her to get on the bike in the 1st place.
    of course this is all hindsight now for you... and I'll probably get bashed cause this post sounds like it should go on "the other site"... and I haven't swore yet... but hey... just throwing my 2 cents in...
    Thats ok. I have gotten bashed by all my friends for this already so what you said isn't even that bad. And as for the swearing part, I've done that at myself ever since it happen. So a little swearing from someone else wouldnt sound that bad either. But hey, there is a bright side to this. At least I can honestly say that I wasn't the 1st one to dump it.

My poor baby

Post to sportriders ask for
    Plastiweld in NY who will rebuild it if
    possible for about 1/2
    He has a web site but I can't remember

Lend your women not your bike
    I think that they can only fix plastic that is cracked and not parts that actually have holes in them. I'll give them a call tho just to make sure.

My poor baby

[/quote]
    You know, just cuz it's OK to swear n' stuff doesn't mean you HAVE to. [/quote]
    And this from someone that encourages swearing in the 1st place

Bikeless Prick

My poor baby

Bob can fix anything... believe me, I know. He can fix stuff with holes, though it's a bit more expensive if you didn't keep all the plastic that broke out.. ie. he has to fabricate a piece to fit in the hole. Give him a call, he does great work.

IMO I think I understand what you were trying to do by loaning out your bike... Next time you may want to consider either buying her a few drinks or just go home with a good *Magazine*, vaseline and some tissue.

Rich

My poor baby

Bob can fix anything... believe me, I know. He can fix stuff with holes, though it's a bit more expensive if you didn't keep all the plastic that broke out.. ie. he has to fabricate a piece to fit in the hole. Give him a call, he does great work.

IMO I think I understand what you were trying to do by loaning out your bike... Next time you may want to consider either buying her a few drinks or just go home with a good *Magazine*, vaseline and some tissue.
    Yeah, I'll give him a call. And next time I think I might just take your advice...

Lifer

My poor baby

Might I suggest waiting to get the plastic fixed, at least a few months?

If you've only had it a month there is certainly a chance you'll still dump it too.

It would suck to fix the plastic and then dump it yourself.

I'm more like your friend. Dumped my bike in a parking lot practicing, within a week or so of getting the bike, and about a week before the frame sliders showed up in my mailbox.

Is your friend OK?

Ben

My poor baby

Might I suggest waiting to get the plastic fixed, at least a few months?

If you've only had it a month there is certainly a chance you'll still dump it too.

It would suck to fix the plastic and then dump it yourself.

I'm more like your friend. Dumped my bike in a parking lot practicing, within a week or so of getting the bike, and about a week before the frame sliders showed up in my mailbox.

Is your friend OK?

Ben
    Yeah, shes ok. It was at low speed (1MPH) so the bike just kinda fell on top of her. She banged up her knee a little but said that everything was ok.

My poor baby

DUDE..... get a American Road racing or Roadracing World magazine/newspaper and look in the back.... there are a TON of places that advertise factory parts. You'll have to make a bunch of phone calls but it'll be worth it.. when I've replaced factory plastic in the past they've saved me LOTS of money over buying at a dealer but you have to call a bunch of them as their prices vary but you'll save up to 100.00 on ONE piece of plastic over a dealer price for the SAME FACTORY piece!! I myself don't like getting things welded and custom painted cause then ya gotta paint the whole bike cause it never truely matches the factory pieces.. but each their own.. just a suggestion... also NEVER let anyone ride your bike that doesn't have a motorcycle license ESPECIALLY if not fully insured.....