Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mass Insurance, Extremely Important!

This is a bit of a story, but it is extremely important if you insure your bike in Massachusetts.

Motorcycles in Mass do not automatically have PIP (personal injury protection) for the operator. Your passenger will be covered in an accident, but you won't. To have insurance for yourself you need to elect option #6 on your policy. "Medical Payments" is how it is listed. You can purchase as much as you want up to $100,000. Be aware, most insurane agent have no idea about this.

What does this mean? Let me explain. This past summer I had a bad crash. Broke both my wrists. The accident was 100% the other drivers fault. He admitted it at the scene to police officers.

I did not have MP checked on my policy. My Bleu Cross kicked in and covered the medical payments, but then they put a lein on any future settlement I might recover from the other driver.

I hired a layer and went after the driver. He only had $100,000 in insurance (RI registered vehicle). When it was all said and done, my medical bills were $87,000. We recovered the entire $100,000. My Lawyers got $33,333. That left me with $67,000 and an $87,000 Lien......The Layers are in the process of negotiating with BC&BS to get this reduced, but in any event I will be losing upwards of $67,000 because I didn't but Medical Payments, Option #6 on my policy.

Check your policy and be sure #6 is opted for...........

I

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

2007 Suzuki V-Strom (ABS)
    2007 BMW X Challenge (ABS)
    1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

For what it's worth Double "D" was in an accident where she was broadsided in the Tahoe about eight years ago. The other driver was at fault, he ran a red light. Because it jammed up her back pretty hard we went through the lawyers and took it to court. As soon as pilgrim health found out they attached a lein for everything they paid out that was above and beyond what the PIP medical coverage handled.

Mass allows the medical insurance company to regain there "losses" in the event of a law suit that you get paid out on. From what I understand Mass is only one of a few that do this. You pay for personal medical insurance so that medical bills will be paid in the event of injury or illness. Then thay let them slap you in the face and reclaim thier money if you sue and win.

So it's not just with bike insurance that you have to watch out.

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

This is where a good lawyer comes in because the amount the insurance company recoups from you is negotiable.

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

Luckily from my accident a few years ago, I only had to pay back 10,700. I was able to get 5000 from my car policy even though the accident was on a bike so I only had to repay about 7000. It sucks though when they take your money. Medical bills are rediculous.

Bruce

Re: Mass Insurance, Extremely Important!

Originally posted by Royb
    This is a bit of a story, but it is extremely important if you insure your bike in Massachusetts.

Motorcycles in Mass do not automatically have PIP (personal injury protection) for the operator. Your passenger will be covered in an accident, but you won't. To have insurance for yourself you need to elect option #6 on your policy. "Medical Payments" is how it is listed. You can purchase as much as you want up to $100,000. Be aware, most insurane agent have no idea about this.

What does this mean? Let me explain. This past summer I had a bad crash. Broke both my wrists. The accident was 100% the other drivers fault. He admitted it at the scene to police officers.

I did not have MP checked on my policy. My Bleu Cross kicked in and covered the medical payments, but then they put a lein on any future settlement I might recover from the other driver.

I hired a layer and went after the driver. He only had $100,000 in insurance (RI registered vehicle). When it was all said and done, my medical bills were $87,000. We recovered the entire $100,000. My Lawyers got $33,333. That left me with $67,000 and an $87,000 Lien......The Layers are in the process of negotiating with BC&BS to get this reduced, but in any event I will be losing upwards of $67,000 because I didn't but Medical Payments, Option #6 on my policy.

I

roy, doesn't PIP just cover up to $2000? If you are in an accident where bills exceed $2k, I dont' believe that it matters whether or not PIP is active. I could be wrong about this, but seem to remember something about this from my recent accidents (both rear-enders where I was not at fault).

You can buy PIP up to any amount you want. I just checked my policy and for $8000 it cost me $12. But it only coveres a passenger on a motorcycle and I never ride with a pillion so I believe I have the least amount you can buy. But PIP does not cover the operator.

You need "Medial Payments" #6 for any coverage, your fault or not, for the operator.

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

I dont carry medical with my bike, my health pays for it. And if it is someone elses, let them sue the other company and get their money back.
    You say you should increase your health liabiities on your bike why? So that way you can sue someone else for the injuries your health paid on, and they wont get reimbursed? I am confused? I never carry apassenger except my wife, an

You live in NH....different rules. What I'm talking about has to do with Mass riders......

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

I
    So you're saying you "lost" $67k? If your bluecross paid the medical bills, why would you hire a lier and try to get the money that the insurance company already paid out for your medical costs? If 2 insurance companies paid out for the same medical injuries, isn't that double dipping??? No wonder knowone in this country can afford medical coverage

Yamaha

If they get their $67K, the first insurance company will be made whole and only one company will be paying. Simple math....

I didn't "lose" anything except 12 weeks of not riding, a long planned trip to Alaska and 15% use of my hand and wrist. And who knows what future pain and suffering.

This post wasn't to pass judgement on medical costs, insurance companies and as you say "liars"....simply information that very few motorcyclists in Massachusetts are aware of.

Do with it as you wish......................

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

Littering and........

Re: Re: Mass Insurance, Extremely Important!

Originally posted by R7
    So you're saying you "lost" $67k? If your bluecross paid the medical bills, why would you hire a lier and try to get the money that the insurance company already paid out for your medical costs? If 2 insurance companies paid out for the same medical injuries, isn't that double dipping??? No wonder knowone in this country can afford medical coverage
    The problem, I believe, was in the limited funds available from the other person's insurance company.

If someone else causes you injury, the medical bills are their responsibility. But medical insurance companies do not know that when you get hurt, they just get a bill from the hospital. Therefore, when you pursue a personal injury suit, the medical insurance company askes to be reimbursed from the proceeds, since you are getting money for medical bills out of any settlement.

Its called subrogation rights, and if anything, they *help* insurance companies.

An interesting rule of thumb for anyone who might be in a position to care - if you are victim of a personal injury suit, the amount you will be getting for any lost work, pain and suffering, etc., will be equal to the amount of your medical bills. Its like this: 1/3 to be paid to the doctors or insurance company, 1/3 for the lawyer, and 1/3 for you.

Kinda sucks sometimes, particularly in cases like the one in this thread, because the victim wont even get 1/3, due to the limited insurance coverage of the other person.

Littering and........

I didn't "lose" anything except 12 weeks of not riding, a long planned trip to Alaska and 15% use of my hand and wrist. And who knows what future pain and suffering.

You also lost the right to not be in severe pain, probably loss of consortium (sexual contact) with any significant other, and however many hours of work you needed to take off while you were hurt.

People are often quick to piss on personal injury cases because there have been some very silly ones, but that is always the exception rather than the rule.

Yea, but look at all the nice titanium "bling Bling" I got....:-)

I even got three donor bones in there..........

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Yea, but look at all the nice titanium "bling Bling" I got....:-)

I even got three donor bones in there..........

Man, that looks so much like my wrist it's not even funny......

Did a similar thing to my right wrist in a four wheeler crash a few years back. Makes for a cool looking xray and some decent scars though

L8R

Joel

Being a Casualty Adjuster in Mass for 5 yrs, I can says this, better check the fine print, PIP DOES NOT COVER MOTORCYCLE PASSENGERS EITHER!!!!!!!!!!

Get MED PAY, I would suggest $10k as a minimum.

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

What were your Underinsured limits on your own policy? Be thankfull the guy had $100k, most people drive around with $25k in RI. In addition to med pay, good idea to have highlimits on your own policy for Uninsured and Underinsured
    coverage.

I

same in ct i had 2 pay for all my treatment

& im still waiting 2 get paid
    i was told by my ins. guy it's not worth it 2 put med. ins through the bike unless you dont have health ins.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

This is where a good lawyer comes in because the amount the insurance company recoups from you is negotiable.
    Yup, and the good lawyer gets 33.3% of what your bike was worth to begin with. Watch out for the TV/Radio lawyer, they are nothing but PIMPS trying to turn over claims as fast as they can, they do not have your best interest at hand.

GO HIGHSIDER!

See working for ambulance chasers pays off:

Dictionary.com Meaning #3:
    Law. The right of a spouse to the company of, help of, affection of, and sexual relations with his or her mate.

-Suf Daddy fornicator to infininty!

Originally posted by highsider
    You also lost the right to not be in severe pain, probably loss of consortium (sexual contact) with any significant other, and however many hours of work you needed to take off while you were hurt.

Suf Daddy.

You live in NH....different rules. What I'm talking about has to do with Mass riders......
    Same idea, I was stating I intentionally dont get the insurance for myself or pasenger. That is not a state to state thing.

Just ask, Be surprised!

I was in an accident on my bike back in June. My insurance company said they would not pay out my PIP as I was on a motorcycle. I called my insurance agent to ask if this was a voluntary coverage. They said "no", you have to have it on your plan. I asked the claims agent why I could not make a claim for my PIP coverage? His response was there is a law in MA which prevents insurance companies from paying out for PIP claims. Seems as a lot of others here have pointed out. Either your own personal Health Insurance will have to cover you or you have to get the optional Medical Coverage. I am still working with the offender's insurance company to be paid by them as this accident was not my fault.

I am now looking for a new insurance carrier for my motorcycle as I do not feel that I am getting the proper coverage from my current insurer.

doesn't matter what carrier you have in MA, you will never be able to collect PIP benefits if you are on a motorcycle.

Do a search for Lister Insurance in Massachusetts. This is on their web site. In Massachusetts you need to buy Med Pay as a separate rider. And it is expensive. About $250 for $25K of coverage. Without MedPay, your passenger is covered, but you are not. Welcome to Massachusetts.......

If you do collect from the other driver, your health insurance company will subjugate you to get the money they paid out back. You absolutely, positively must hire a lawyer if you were not at fault and you have a police report to back this up. Even if you don't have a police report, you need to talk to a lawyer.

If the insurance company comes after you, with out legal representation, you could lose a ton of $$...........

Hope this helps........

Roy B
    Yankee Beemers, Prez
    Dartmouth, Ma

1987 BMW K100RS M-Sport
    2004 Honda VFR (ABS)

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Man, sounds like they have you coming and going. Most of my concern "rides", so to speak, with my passenger. My policy from State Farm matches up with what I had down in Va., that is, $500,000 liability toward my passenger's injuries, $500,000 for mine from the MED category (plus my own health care, 1 million lifetime). My renter's policy has a rider, or umbrella that covers liability to my passenger from $500,000 on up to 1 million, and these days, I'm not sure THAT'S enough. When I converted, the PIP was nothing, it was the MED category that had to be fulfilled to match liabilities to my passenger and accident medical for myself. With all this, the insurance companies (my health and bike MED policy) would duke it out with each other who would pay crash medical bills. Up here, according to my lawyer and State Farm, in an accident where I'm not at fault, the insurance companies would go after the other driver's insurance for subrogation. My bike policy would go after the other driver's insurance for their losses on my collision policy if I made a claim for my bike (likely, as it's 15K to replace). My uninsured motorist coverage is as large as State Farm would cover up here, too ($500,000, I believe) but I'm not sure at what point that gets claimed, probably about the time it was determined the other driver has inadequate coverage for the damage. Pain and suffering, lost work, etc. would be completely separate actions against the other driver's insurance and assets. It gets very sticky and first one to the till will get (some of ) their money, last one to the till, not so likely because not many people carry a million in liability and many of those don't have assets or high income to grab either.

Thing about carrying high liability is, the insurance company has a greater incentive to defend their policyholder in court. Depositions, delays, continuances, anything to minimize the expense, they'll defend you. But if the driver at fault has minimum liability coverage, the insurance pays the first claim up to the limit of coverage the at-fault driver carries and throws him to the wolves, the wolves being everyone lined up trying to be made whole. Then, even if you get a judgment, you have to COLLECT it, a dicey proposition at best with folks that carry minimum coverage. That's why it's a very good thing to carry these high MED coverages and liability to your passenger because that way YOU and your PASSENGER get paid (to the limit of the coverage you bought) and the insurance company that covered YOU will go after the other driver, a more fruitful venture, because insurance companies hound the other driver for the rest of his life. They're good at it AND they want their dough back. It gets complex, but in the end, most peeps are going to suck eggs if they have an accident not their fault with someone that has low minimum liability coverage. There just isn't money to go after, the lawyers won't touch it on a contingency basis and you really don't want to pay by the hour for a lawyer to sue someone with no money or assets. Sad but true. Can you imagine the issues sorting out the and coverage liabilities on the three-bike/car accident the other night? Nightmare on top of the original nightmare, people getting killed.

This motorcycling thing is truly for all the marbles. Careful out there!

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

The only problem I see is That you Hired an attorney for your insurance company?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast