Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Powder Coat or Paint? -Wheels

I have had some stuff powder coated before and it seamed to do alright so far, I am looking to get my oem wheels off my 06 zzr600 powder coated or painted highgloss black... What does everyone thing is easier,cheaper, and I know powder coat is stronger but is it needed for street wheels? I figured even to paint them i would have to take off the tire.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Two many 2 strokes

Re: Powder Coat or Paint? -Wheels

you will need to take the tires off...... I have done both ways...power coat will hold up way longer... but its a pain... you could split the diffrence and have them professionally painted, not powerder coated....no bearing removal etc.... not sure you would save much money though.... give it a whirl... if you really want to lear how to paint, take the body shop class at assabe vally tech...great time, use thier stuff, and learn at the same time Ive taken that class a few times to use the spray booth LOL..

What about anodizing, anyone ever have that done?

all balls bearing kit for the kawi should be cheap enough to replace. pulling the bearings shoudl take 10-15m once the wheels are off. just remove the cush/sprocket drive and rotors and you're good to go.

i like powdercoat. holds up extremely well. check out midnight powdercoating in franklin, good stuff.

looks like anodizing is about 2-4x the cost of powder. i have NO experience with it though.

yeah, I might actually go with Paint... I mean its a street bike so not to much rocks and stuff should be getting inside the wheels.. if it was a dirtbike or atv i would defiantly powder-coat. I got a close friend who paints so i can talk to him.

Lifer

I've been having a similar debate for the frame on my old CB. Either a DIY paint job in the back yard, with the expectation that I will be doing it over again in a couple years... or spring for a decent PC job.

Both are good but the clear on the paint can turn white with some cleaners. So I say powdercoat.

What up, bitches?

I say powdercoat but I used to work in a powdercoat shop. To get a flat look with paint it takes a lot more work than with powder. Powder will hold up a lot much longer than paint but it has a downfall... if it ever chips you either have to redo the entire wheel or fill with paint and possibly not have the same color.

Last edited by Roadrider82; 01-12-13 at 10:31 AM.

Powder coat all the way. Would rather pay the money to do it once. Better then having to have to remove the tires a second or third time after chipping.

Actually heading to midnight after my plastics are painted.

Shannon

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

If you paint wheels make sure you tell anyone changing tires in the future. Paint comes off in the blink of an eye on a tire machine.

I strongly recommend powder coat for wheels.

How about that "hydro painting" someone local is doing? Fluid graphix i think the name is,, they are doing some great finishes now,,

I was thinking this same thing but I ride every day so I painted. And NO you DONT have to take the tires off.

I just broke the beads and squished the tires toward the center. Masked it off and used L brackets to prop the tires away.

I just couldnt bear/afford to be able to not have my bike to ride. Took a day to yank each wheel and paint it, let it dry overnight and remount it.

You can prep them ON the bike in your spare time by hand and with a wire wheel on a drill. I took them down to bare metal (they needed it).

Taking bearings out and back in is a real PIA. Huge difference in labor between the two jobs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powder Coat or Paint? -Wheels-vtrwheel-paint-2012-2-001-a  

Lifer

Wow. I can't believe that masking that tire like that was less of a pain in the ass than popping the tire off and back on.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

you can always use playing cards or notecards to mask off the tire rather then taping the entire thing up.

"Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."