Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Powdercoating- any shops around?

So I was thinking to get the rearsets and maybe a triple tree powdercoated in black. Are there any shops around that you guys could recommend that do a nice job? I'd like to hear your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ZX10R
    Ned

I know of a place in Clinton, MA. Central Mass Powdercoating.

I haven't seen their work, but they normally have a good bunch of cars in the parking lot. Maybe someone can second them.

2003 Silver VFR800, Stock (for now), OEM hard bags.

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

I can have it done for you by a customer in NY. What colors do you want, just Black?

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

+1 on Central Mass Powdercoating. He did a set of wheels from a Haw GT for me. He had a shitload of colors to choose from, and the work was excellent.

Lifer

what was the price.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Maybe we can get some kind of group deal going? I know Joseph wants to powder coat his frame black and some other stuff, BadBoyBilly and myself want to powder coat our rear passenger pegs and maybe our rearsets black as well. Seeing as how we all want black maybe we can get it done for cheaper.

I'll ask.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK

I think the wheels were $300, that included sandblasting off the old powdercoating

Originally posted by gmdboston
    I can have it done for you by a customer in NY. What colors do you want, just Black?

well, ideally I'd like it to match my bikes frame color, which is like metallic black- you can see little sparkle in there when the sun shines. But if it's not possible to easily match the color, I'd go with semi gloss or matte black.

ZX10R
    Ned

Here's frame color pic. BTW, what would be the price for rearsets and triple tree?

ZX10R
    Ned

if this doesnt work out, ive sent some material (ductwork for the 9-5er) through GTR finishing in Brockton. Reasonably priced, quick turnaround, and a bunch of colors. I was actually thinkin about taking the bike over there when it warms up a little and seeing if he has anything that would match our frames nerij

Depending on what you want done Indy Powder Coating seems like the cheapest place I have found. Obviously if you are getting something big done, like a frame, it would not make sense because shipping would kill you.

I think I will be sending some stuff there. If you want I can be the guinea pig to see what kind of work they do. I learned about them through the gixxer.com forum where a lot of people said they did good work.

Lifer

Originally posted by Punjistick
    Depending on what you want done Indy Powder Coating seems like the cheapest place I have found. Obviously if you are getting something big done, like a frame, it would not make sense because shipping would kill you.

I think I will be sending some stuff there. If you want I can be the guinea pig to see what kind of work they do. I learned about them through the gixxer.com forum where a lot of people said they did good work.
    if you do end up doing it drop a line....I got my rear pegs, rearset, and bar-end I want done in black

'22 Aprilia rs660
    '18 Aprilia Tuono Factory

If you look down, you go down. That may be fun at an orgy, but it sucks on a bike

For sure let's put some kind of group deal together. I'd like to have a swing arm, rear sets, passenger pegs, and a caliper mount done.

Maybe we should start a list of names, what kind of bike you have, the parts you want done, and what color you want them. Then we can get a quote and ask about a group rate.

We should probably find a place that is local. So we can drop/pick up our own parts and not have to pay shipping.

I don't know where everybody is from but this place is about an hour from me. http://www.capecodpowdercoating.com/index.htm
    If it is too far for everyone then we can try to find a place closer.

Let me know what you think.

Add me to the list as a maybe (depending on price) as I might be interested in powdercoating a brush guard.

I'd be in for a GB for rearsets, rear passenger pegs, and possibly triple tree.
    Alex, if you send your parts to that online shop, let us know how it came out and how much was it.

ZX10R
    Ned

Originally posted by 06ZX6R
    if this doesnt work out, ive sent some material (ductwork for the 9-5er) through GTR finishing in Brockton. Reasonably priced, quick turnaround, and a bunch of colors. I was actually thinkin about taking the bike over there when it warms up a little and seeing if he has anything that would match our frames nerij
    I'd like to get it done over the winter, since it's upgrade, mod time and stuff. When it warms up I wanna be riding and won't have much time for taking stuff apart and waiting until it gets done. Let me know if you find any shop that can match our frame color before it warms up I'll do the same, I gotta go post a question in Kawiforums.com, maybe somebody over there has done something similar.

ZX10R
    Ned

Ok, just got off the phone with central mass powdercoating in Clinton, MA. Asked for a quote for rearsets. He said it'd be roughly around $100. Asked about the Group Buy since a few of you showed interest. The guy did not really offer a better deal. So what do you fellas think about that price? Is it fair enough to get rearsets done for $100?

ZX10R
    Ned

Originally posted by nerijusj
    Ok, just got off the phone with central mass powdercoating in Clinton, MA. Asked for a quote for rearsets. He said it'd be roughly around $100. Asked about the Group Buy since a few of you showed interest. The guy did not really offer a better deal. So what do you fellas think about that price? Is it fair enough to get rearsets done for $100?
    No.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

I agree with Jeff. It seems almost rediculous compared to Indy Powder Coating's prices. Indy will do a whole swingarm for $50.

I'm just gonna send my stuff to them. It'll be worth it since the things I'm sending are light and small. Shipping will be hardly anything. For those of you with frames and larger things, it still might be worth it since they are so cheap.

Central Mass powdercoating has done a ton of stuff for me. Everything from wheels to a 15 foot conference tables. The results have always been perfect.

Mike Green
    LRRS #450 novice
    http://www.mikegreensculpture.com
    '06 svx550
    '04 cr500 af le
    '04 525 smr
    '02 660 sms
    '01 drz 450 sm streetbike
    '99 r7
    '99 sv650
    '86 rg500

Thought so, 100 bucks is way too much.

ZX10R
    Ned

What you guys don't understand is that powder coating is a labor intensive process. There is prep work like stripping the parts of any coating (most all of them are clear coated, painted or anodized), plugging the holes, and taping off threads and bearing surfaces, setting up the gun, booth and oven. Then when finished and cooled all the plugs, tape, and masking must be removed and all the equipment cleaned and readied for the next batch. The labor is the same whether you do one part or 50. Also you are dealing with some one who works in general industry, they have customer who spend tens of thousands of dollars annually, those customer get a break on pricing. To them you are just Billy Bob Beltbuckle, you wont get a discount just because you have screen name and a handful of parts. Selling product is a little different because you can move several pieces with one transaction. It's easier to discount parts on volume sales, it's hard to justify big discounts on labor. Also the smaller the parts the more labor involved per part so the price goes up.

I would careful about going with the discount suppliers, often they save money by cutting corners, like not sand or bead blasting the parts, not protecting the threads or bores. You may like the price now, but you'll be pissed off when the coating falls off the first time you put your foot on the pegs.

powder coat

Hi guys,
    I own a powder coating shop in Swanzey NH. I am located about 30 miles north of Fitchburg. Come on up and I'll hook you guys up. Greg
    elmcitypowdercoating@verizon.net

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast