Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Power commander question...

Lifer

Question Power commander question...

I'm thinking of picking up a PCIII usb model and monkeying with my bike.

I know I have to buy 2 O2 sensor eliminators...

Do you need anything else to load maps in the bike, etc..?

They have various programming kits on the website which cost extra money... what is the minimum required/recommended to buy?

Also anyone got the programming bits that I could borrow just to get it set up? I was hoping I could just get it set up once pretty quick and then leave it alone and just ride the bike but it sounds like many people end up tweaking it a lot.

They are cheap compared to the unit itself so if they're really nice to have I guess I can just get them too.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have the 'regular' PC3R. I guess its nearly the same, but it is harder to connect than the USB one (on the RC51 at least) I have no experience with the USB one.

For maps, there are some on the powercommander.com website. Otherwise check out model specific forums for maps. You can get a base map and tweak, or just go all out and get a dyno tune

I just run the latest map. The RC community is fortunate enough to have Dan Kyle there for us. He constantly is updating the maps, and gives them away at no charge!

Uploading maps is easy, connect a laptop/desktop PC and run the software. Select the map, and 'Upload' It takes all of 5 seconds or so.

i want 2 put a on off switch on mine

switch off for traffic on for blasting
    motor braking in traffic sux its 2 touchy
    kind off a on off switch not a throttle

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Lifer

Mine is very twitchy in traffic, that's basically all I want to improve by getting the power commander.

I don't really have any issues >40mph and when riding the bike hard. If it improves anything in those areas I won't complain though.

I don't have a laptop so I it's going to be a bit of a pain to set up an old computer in the garage but I'll manage.

Ben

Originally posted by benSV
    Mine is very twitchy in traffic, that's basically all I want to improve by getting the power commander.

I don't really have any issues >40mph and when riding the bike hard. If it improves anything in those areas I won't complain though.

I don't have a laptop so I it's going to be a bit of a pain to set up an old computer in the garage but I'll manage.

Ben
    It did help the low RPM jerkyness of mine, but then again; It all depends on the map. If the map isn't modified down there in the RPM range, it wont change.

If you've got a Palm Pilot, they have some software that will let you load a map from that

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

Ben, what year is your SV? I have an 03 with the PCIIIUSB and I didn't have to buy anything else....

Mine went right in.. pretty easy stuff. You just unplug the bike's computer, put the PC inline, tap into the throttle position sensor wire, download the maps (for free) from the PC website and go for it. According to tech support over there, it's not super critical if you have an "exact" map for your setup. Mine is running a Yoshi slip on (no baffle), K&N filter and I've been using the "2 Brothers and stock or aftermarket filter" map. Also, the "Accelerator pump" program is included. Just have to activate it when have the bike hooked up. One other thing, you either have to run the bike while hooked up or use the 9volt battery adapter to load maps and make changes. Hope this was helpful Questions?

Last edited by PatSV650; 07-13-04 at 05:31 PM.
    ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Lifer

Haha...

Sorry... this is for a Honda VFR... I got rid of my SV last year, I just never changed my nickname.

I know the install looks easy.

It turns out the one I bought can just be unplugged from the bike and powered up in a stand alone mode, so I won't have to move my desktop computer out to the garage to mess with it.

Not as convenient as a laptop but it'll work.

Ben

Banned

check out your new screenname Ben.

derek

LOL... Well, good luck with it. Mine's been workin' pretty good for me

site
    my blog

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Originally posted by PatSV650
    Ben, what year is your SV? I have an 03 with the PCIIIUSB and I didn't have to buy anything else....

Mine went right in.. pretty easy stuff. You just unplug the bike's computer, put the PC inline, tap into the throttle position sensor wire, download the maps (for free) from the PC website and go for it. According to tech support over there, it's not super critical if you have an "exact" map for your setup. Mine is running a Yoshi slip on (no baffle), K&N filter and I've been using the "2 Brothers and stock or aftermarket filter" map. Also, the "Accelerator pump" program is included. Just have to activate it when have the bike hooked up. One other thing, you either have to run the bike while hooked up or use the 9volt battery adapter to load maps and make changes. Hope this was helpful Questions?
    Like Pat I've got the usb model. The accelerator pump feature makes that off idle stumble disappear. It also greatly smoothes out the transition when the HTEV kicks in. It made an enormous difference in the throttle response and overall power controllability and I'm quite happy (understatement) with it. I should mention that I had it professionally dyno-tuned by a race shop (Seacoast Sport Cycles here in Derry). Another benefit of the usb version is that it has expansion ports for the addition of the quickshifter module (for full throttle upshifts) and/or the programmable timing retard/advance module and/or shift light.

Watch the sparrow falling
    Gives new meaning to it all
    If not today nor yet tomorrow
    then some other day

I'll take seven lives for one
    And then my only father's son
    As sure as I did ever love him
    I am not afraid

05 DRZ400SM bone stock (for the moment). Most fun I've ever had on two wheels baby!!!

Hey, what'd you pay for that Dyno-Tune? Might be worth the trip up to NH

site
    my blog

Originally posted by PatSV650
    Hey, what'd you pay for that Dyno-Tune? Might be worth the trip up to NH
    Two fiddy...

Though I'm sure there are some shops near you that can do a good job as well if you head up here for an overnighter or something then we could do a VT trip.

Watch the sparrow falling
    Gives new meaning to it all
    If not today nor yet tomorrow
    then some other day

I'll take seven lives for one
    And then my only father's son
    As sure as I did ever love him
    I am not afraid

05 DRZ400SM bone stock (for the moment). Most fun I've ever had on two wheels baby!!!

I'm in Northeast CT.... Ashford .. gonna go check out the PC website for a tuner in my area.

OK, looks like....
    East Hampton HD in Southampton
    Rob's Dyno in Gardner
    All Sport in Orange
    & J&D in Hyde Park

Been to any of these places? Suggestions?

Last edited by PatSV650; 07-15-04 at 09:39 PM.
    site
    my blog