Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Precautions for selling bike

Precautions for selling bike

I usually go thru my local dealer when trading/ selling, but they aren’t taking consignments and I want to sell my Superduke this spring. What precautions can be taken to minimize joy riders and scam artists? Where are the best places to advertise to avoid same ( other than this site of course).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Precautions for selling bike

The joy rider thing is easy. No test rides without cash in hand, no exceptions. That's pretty customary.

I'm a cash only, in person kind of guy. But then all the stuff I buy & sell is cheap. May not fly with higher value stuff.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Advrider like European Bikes.

Be sure and put location in title.

I allow test rides “To verify function” after price is agreed on. Go to parking lot, shift up a couple gears, turn around and come back. That’s IF they have a motorcycle license, and sometimes I even specify they have to come on a bike to ride it.

Put in as, “If ad is still visible, bike is still for sale.” That way when you get texts “Still available?” You know they are spam.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-18-18 at 08:19 AM.

include phone number in reply.
    any reply resembling spam will be treated as such.

also: maybe try a different dealer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Cat herder

Basic common-sense safety. Don't meet at your house. Meet in a public place where there are witnesses in case something goes wrong. Have someone with you. Don't bring your whole wallet.

For test rides, take a photo of the license and email/upload immediately.

There was a Facebook posting in TDJ just yesterday about a Craigslist deal gone bad. The victim was the buyer, but things can go both ways.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I sold my bike last year on Craig's list and bought 2 bikes off of Craig's list. its always nerve racking just make sure you cover your bases!!

combine these 2 post for what I did.

ALSO Bubbas correct ABSOLUTELY NO TEST RIDES w/o ALL the CA$$H or BANK check IN HAND (not a personal check)

I always used a bank check myself. more secure than cash and also more proof of money changing hands.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The joy rider thing is easy. No test rides without cash in hand, no exceptions. That's pretty customary.

I'm a cash only, in person kind of guy. But then all the stuff I buy & sell is cheap. May not fly with higher value stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    Basic common-sense safety.

this was a big one for me... Don't meet at your house. Meet in a public place where there are witnesses in case something goes wrong. \

DEFINITELY! Have someone with you. preferably a male friend, not your GF. Don't bring your whole wallet.

I like to meet somewhere public.
    No test rides.
    Cash Only.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

No test rides they can watch me zoom around, they can sit on it

Meet them at the local police station parking lot

I put in the add cash only no trades or any other deals

I print out state sales agreement etc and have copies of everything including the title

Tell the dealership, you want to sell a bike take the trade or find another dealer.

I have found the blue book numbers to be too high for this area by a lot, people are stupid do a little write up to move the buyers.

Last edited by Stromper; 02-18-18 at 02:32 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

these are my CL rules, which i'm sure are similar to others since most of it is common sense...sold 3 bikes on CL and bought 3 bikes on CL...sold 3 cars on CL as well...plus a ton of other things (see link in signature)...the bolded rule below, i believe has saved me a ton of time

- information - put as much information in the ad as you can...specs, manufacturer websites, condition, year/make/model #, title status, maintenance done, modifications done, manufacturers of modifications, any extras included, etc...this tells a potential buyer "hey this person knows their sh!t!" which may also make the potential buyer feel like if the seller does their homework and maintains things well...it will also minimize people wasting your time with questions

- pictures - people love them so the more the better (a picture is worth a thousand words, right?)...take photos of all angles, show any blemishes on the item (to an extent), tire wear, show a photo of the odometer (if it's a bike) cause people would rather buy from someone that is honest...CL allows 24 photos? use them all if you think you have to and use a real camera not a camera phone if it's a big money item so you can show the detail

- video - if the item is something that works take a video of it, upload it to youtube and post the youtube link in the ad...the link won't work in the CL ad (due to some of the new changes) but just type "copy and paste youtube link below into your browser for video of ...." above the youtube link...if it's a bike take a video of you starting the bike and do a quick walk around showing that all the signals, lights, horn, work...maybe rev it a little and done...this will make a potential buyer have a warm feeling knowing that the item they may buy works as it should...i think this is the reason my motorcycles sold somewhat quickly

- price - state your price in the ad title...some people won't even bother looking at it if it doesn't have a price...either post a firm price and wait it out till you get your number or you may want to start high and drop it as you go cause no matter what you do you will get people who will try to talk you down so if you give them a little money off they will think they are getting a deal...i usually just go with a firm price and stick to it cause i hate haggling and i'm usually in no rush to sell anything...so if you don't like it, go pound sand...sometimes i will state that the price is firm if i am getting a lot of calls on it or i don't want to sell it for less or entertain offers

- condition - clean/fix/maintain it before you show/sell or take photos/video of it...all about presentation

- scams - every time you post/renew your ad you will probably get scam emails...so put something in the ad to tell real buyers to type something in the subject line to help weed out the garbage emails

- renewing - i renew once a week and set reminder in my phone for it so i remember to do it cause reposting 20 expired items is a pain..if you want it to sell faster maybe you want to renew more often...just don't piss off the flagging trolls

- serious buyers will call you...if they text or email you tell them to call you...this will help you get a feel for the person as well as weed out the non-serious buyers and flakes that may waste your time

- never meet a buyer at your house or give out your address due to thieves...if you can transport it put it in your vehicle and bring it to a public place like a supermarket that is convenient for you, or meet somewhere on your way to somewhere that you are going anyway...if you can ride it do the same thing...cause if you meet someone half way, somewhere out of your way and they don't buy your item or lowball you for a price you don't want to sell for, now you wasted some gas money and your time...i'm also paranoid enough that i will ride a bike a weird way to get home to make sure no one can follow me without me noticing

- tell the buyer to meet you at X:XXam/pm sharp and tell them to call you when they get there, as well as call you if they are going to be even 5 minutes late cause you have some type of [insert BS appointment here] an hour later or something and you have to be on time...if they don't show, don't wait...there is nothing i hate more than people wasting my time

- no test rides or no test rides without full amount of cash in hand...state this in the ad if you want to go that way

- if you want to minimize wild trade offers state cash only no trades in your ad

- only take cash...i had a guy i know have his bike stolen with a phony bank check, guys just drove off with his bike in the back of their pickup truck

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-19-18 at 11:11 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Good info by Point37.
    I put in big bold letters in my CL ads: "Reply by email with your phone number. Emails with no phone number will be ignored." This way you can weed out all the "is this still available?" messages, and if they're actually interested, they will give their number, and you can call to get an idea how sketchy they are.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post

- serious buyers will call you...if they text or email you tell them to call you...this will help you get a feel for the person as well as weed out the non-serious buyers and flakes that may waste your time
    Disagree. Some people communicate better if different ways. You're limiting your options. I'm not looking for you to change your methods, stick with what works for you.

On the flip side, I won't deal with a seller/service provider if he doesn't email and will only talk to me on the phone. To me, its a sign of sloppiness if everything is hand written or done over the phone. Yeah, this may limit a few of my options, but this is my method. Con artists work best when they have you "feeling good about them" and get you comfortable despite not having any traceable communication or paper trail.

Best results will be from those who are adaptive to all forms of communication and is able to cover their ass in all situations.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 02-19-18 at 11:50 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Disagree. Some people communicate better if different ways. You're limiting your options. I'm not looking for you to change your methods, stick with what works for you.

On the flip side, I won't deal with a seller/service provider if he doesn't email and will only talk to me on the phone. To me, its a sign of sloppiness if everything is hand written or done over the phone. Yeah, this may limit a few of my options, but this is my method. Con artists work best when they have you "feeling good about them" and get you comfortable despite not having any traceable communication or paper trail.

Best results will be from those who are adaptive to all forms of communication and is able to cover their ass in all situations.
    i'm not saying i don't converse via email/text...i don't state that in my ads cause that will drive away buyers...most of the time the initial contact is by email/text...but this is also the main form of contact for scammers so i want to talk to a buyer too...if it's a big money item i will definitely be talking to a potential buyer on the phone before the meeting...but i will also email/text when i'm at work but if i start spending too much time typing vs just having a 3 minute phone conversation in my car on my way home from work i tell them just to call me after work (especially if it's a small money item)...but when it comes to setting up a meeting i want to talk to them on the phone (or at least text) to set it up cause i want their phone number so i can call them if i can't find them in the parking lot or i'm going to be late...also if it's something not easily transported and i have to sell it out of my house i will be talking to a buyer on the phone...not throwing my address out there for anyone...in those cases i usually won't even give my address out till the day of the meeting so they have to call me the day of to get it which also confirms the meeting at the same time...if i set up a meeting a week early i call the buyer the day before to make sure it's still on...cause people are stupid and forget things...i can't tell you how many times the answer to a question is right in the ad i posted...people don't want to read...i just despise wasting my time...texting/email just isn't very personal

Last edited by Point37; 02-19-18 at 12:30 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I prefer to meet buyers at my place, and I don't think many thieves want to meet face to face before showing up later and stealing your wares. But it takes all kinds and if you prefer better opsec, I get it. You've probably had fewer bikes stolen than I have, too.

+1 for asking price in cash on the table before any test ride.

Not a 'precaution' per se, but locate the title / extra keys / manual and print copies of a bill of sale ahead of time. As a buyer, waiting for someone to hunt for the title is not a good feeling. As a seller, I've definitely had an instance of being sure I knew where some paperwork was, only to come up empty.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I hate all these scams. How about National Powersports…are they decent to deal with?

Yes I have to get ready little tt125 and large pontoon selling soon

I am interested in a dr250 text only and owner never got back to me, no other contact type

There was also a great antique trail 90 on hartford craigslist but I dont have room for it

At your home a quick cell phone snap shot , but if you go to the police they will ask why you are telling them

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Man all these scams makes being a buyer easier! LOL

Try Facebook groups...at least they have a profile

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: