Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Private Sale Contract?? Advice?

Private Sale Contract?? Advice?

It looks like I will be purchasing a Ninja 250 on Monday as a private sale. The guy has the title clean and I'll be paying cash for the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on a contract to sign to prove purchase beyond the signing over of the title? Any advice for a private sale would be welcome as I have never purchased a motorcycle before and never purchased a vehicle private sale. So suggestions welcome and if anyone has a good contract to use I'd appreciate it. I'm searching the interwebs for a common form to use, but would love some thoughts from those who have had experience before. Thank you!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Re: Private Sale Contract?? Advice?

You will need a bill of sale to register it. When I sold my last bike, we just printed something off of google and used that. I dont remember what it looked like, but I think I just googled vehicle bill of sale. Make sure it has VIN#, mileage, price paid, etc.

Edit: And going along with that, make sure you actually do match the VIN on the bike to the title before you fork it over.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Petorius; 06-19-13 at 11:01 AM.

Write up a bill of Sale both sign it and ask that he just signs the title in the CORRECT spot......thats all you need

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

MA RMV page on Bill of Sale requirements : http://www.mass.gov/portal/transport...illofsale.html
    They're pretty simple
    They also have a sample *BOAT* bill of sale, which has some slight differences but you can see there's nothing special about it : http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-t...billofsale.pdf

nedirtriders.com

Example:

Bill of Sale

April 12th, 2011

Sold to ___________________ for the purchase price of $______, a 2005 Harley Davidson XL1200R, VIN 1HD1CLP175K455952. Mileage is 1,180. Sold as-is, without warranty.

Seller Buyer

_____________________ ________________________
    Doug Sills ________________________
    72 Austin Road
    Sudbury, MA 01776 ________________________

High maintenance priss

You might want to bring 2 copies of the BoS so that you each have one for your records. Or bring a photocopier.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Whatever you do, print 3 or 4 copies. I always manage to mess something up on the BOS and it just looks better not to have stuff crossed out.

CT has this one
    http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/h31.pdf

I realize it's for CT but you could copy the important stuff and leave the state seals and legalesee off your own copy. Better yet just chop off the CT based crap at the top line and you have very official looking bill of sale.

Lifer

I usually write something like:

I, ____(Seller)___________ hereby acknowledge receipt of $______________ as payment in full, for one (year, make, model) motorcycle, from ____(Buyer)________________ on ___(date)____. I hereby claim to be the current legal owner of this motorcycle, and that this motorcycle is free of all liens and encumbrances, and is sold "As-Is" with no warranty, written or implied.

Seller: Name, address, and phone --------------Buyer: Name, address, and phone.

Be sure that the name on the title matches the name on the BoS, although there are certain circumstances where them not matching may be acceptable - such as the owner never registered it. Just be aware that this can cause other issues down the line. Remember that the Title is as important as the bike itself! Look it over very closely, and make sure that the VIN listed on the Title matches the VIN on the bike.

^^ This. However, if I were the buyer, I'd substitute the word "warrant" for "claim" in order to have a legally binding affirmation from the seller as to ownership.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Yeah about the title, tell him the ONLY thing you want on the back of the title is his signature....no date, no price, no address....signature only. Your insurance agent will take care of the rest. Believe me if he signs it in the wrong place, youre in for a world of pain and suffering.

Two many 2 strokes

If your buying it in ma...all you need is the signed title....if the bike is out of ma, you need the title and a notarized bill of sale!!!!
    GLWP

Lifer

I somewhat agree with Dynotune. The last time I registered a *street bike* in MA, I was told that Bill's of sale are not even useful anymore from an insurance, tax, or RMV perspective. The DoR taxes the purchase based on Blue Book value anyway, and the Title is the only proof of ownership or transfer that is acknowledged. I still write a BoS, though, mostly so that if things go bad, both sides have contact information, and at least some paperwork to present to your legal counsel. The signed Title will disappear when the registry takes it (if they accept it), and for some period of time you may have nothing at all to prove your purchase or sale.
    With a *dirt bike or an ATV* - a BoS is usually the only paperwork you can provide.
    IMO- A BoS is always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoTune View Post
    If your buying it in ma...all you need is the signed title....if the bike is out of ma, you need the title and a notarized bill of sale!!!!
    GLWP
    Two out of the last 4 bikes I bought needed a bill of sale at the registry. MA or not. It all depends on who you get at the counter. Get the Bill Of Sale either way.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Even in NH... Last time I did this the woman at the counter said something to the effect of "You have a properly signed title, technically I don't need a bill of sale. But do you have one you can show me anyway?"

I did and was glad I did. I think she muttered something about the format of the BoS.. but whatever.

I would always write one out. Can't think of any reason not to.

Lady at the town office didn't care at all about my BOS, with the signed title (which was out of state for the 'wing).

Getting the temporary tag, however, to go pick up the bike, required a signed BOS.

I agree with Clayton. It completely depends on who you get.

Lifer

I should add that I was dealing with the State of NH people at my regional DMV office, not with my town office. Because of some odd timing of when I bought the bike, I was persuaded to go directly to the substation and get 20-day plates. I submitted the title transfer app while doing that. (I think I had to in order to get the plates.)

Had I done this normally through my town office it would probably have been even easier. They are laid back and actually want to help you out.

But still, sign a BoS. Why not?

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-21-13 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoTune View Post
    If your buying it in ma...all you need is the signed title....if the TITLE is out of ma, you need the title and a notarized bill of sale!!!!
    GLWP
    FFY
    I bought a bike from a MA resident with a Hawaii title held by a bank in Arizona. Took a couple trips....