Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Private Sale and Test Rides?

Private Sale and Test Rides?

I'm thinking of selling one of my motorcycles once spring gets a little closer. My question is, what is the protocol for letting a potential buyer test ride the bike? Just let him hop on and take off and crash in front of the house? I have only bought 2 used bikes, one of them wasn't running and the other bike the owner let me test ride it. I guess the thought of someone I don't know taking off on my bike sorta scares me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Re: Private Sale and Test Rides?

not without cash in hand. when i sold my last bike i told them no test ride and they seemed fine with that bought it and no problems with it.

2007 Kawasaki zx6r

I have had 1 guy I didn't know guilt me into letting him ride a bike I was selling. He had even brought his girlfriend along for the "test ride". About an hour later he is back, says thanks and leaves

Never again.

Cash in hand and I will give it back to you within 15 minutes if you don't want the bike after your test.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

So do you make a deal on price before the potential buyer takes off or does he hand over your full asking price before the test ride? This bike is mint so one drop and it has lost serious value.

Jeff

NO TEST RIDES

I welcome them to see or follow me around as I demonstrate that it all works.

These are modern bikes... 68 Triumph may just not work but a modern bike nope.

The insurance is WITH THE VEHICLE any damage including his own health will SUE YOU if there is an accident. Then there are the gangs give you a stolen drivers license and drive away. Theft insurance may NOT cover bike being handed to another.

Have a nice day

heh this geezer is just south of you

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

I swore I wouldn't.. but then a kid showed up with a wad of cash and a pickup truck; obviously not jerking me around. I caved and let him ride it. It worked out.

I'd play it by ear. How bad does the buyer insist on the test? How bad do you wanna sell? What kinda vibe are you getting from the buyer?

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

All my bikes have been bought and sold as private sales. My cars too actually. Bikes you just gotta scan and read the person I guess. If they don't have money on them chances are they won't be test riding the bike. On the other hand I wouldn't buy a bike I can't ride unless it wasn't running. I have bought 3 cars though that I didn't drive but heard running (marks ambulance being one) just because the owner seemed very trust worthy and everything about character and condition seemed legit.
    Another thing iv noticed is not most people ask to test ride. Most inexperienced buyers will bring an experienced rider (or so they thing he is) to test ride.
    I have never had someone drop a bike I was selling. One incident though when I sold my 600 the kid stalled 4 times in the driveway I immediately switched to you need to get off the bike. He still wantEd to test him so I rode it with him as a passenger. He ended up buying the bike and totaled it two months later after he already dropped it several times

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    So do you make a deal on price before the potential buyer takes off or does he hand over your full asking price before the test ride? This bike is mint so one drop and it has lost serious value.
    Make a deal prior to him taking off.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

My prior sales have been subject to the buyer, their riding history, what I observe as a comfort level around the bike in question, and if they have proper riding gear...ie no flip flops, shorts, t shirt= no go unless I see the cash. When I sold my turbo busa knowing the power the bike had and how it was a real game changer for me vs a 1397 busa....no way unless the buyer had cash. Most recently a man showed up looking at my ninja, he had 20+ years of riding, all types and my comfort with how he answered my questions and general dialog won him the rights to take the bike out. I know it may seem a bit cliche but prior to him leaving I said, "just so we are clear, you dump it, you own it" and we shook and he was off.

LOL, dhuze, that is the commercial that scared me in the first place!

Jeff

No test rides ever. I dont even let my life long friends who have their own bike, ride mine.

Ive purchased 10 or 12 bikes used, never a test ride.

Lifer

These guys are probably right. Too many things could go wrong. Not worth the risks.

No more tests fer me.

I considered several bikes, but in the end narrowed it down to two Ninja 500s that I would see in person. The first seller was very laid back and offered to let me take the bike around his neighborhood without any qualifiers. I declined because I had just received my license and did not feel comfortable with doing so. The second seller would only allow test rides with cash (listed price of bike) in hand. After my buddy (5 or 6 years of riding experience and previously owned a Ninja 500) safely returned bike from the test ride, the seller gave me the cash back and we negotiated a purchase price.

I meet the rider and as I'm showing the bike, (pointing out any scratches, or imperfections) I ask questions such as riding experience, why this bike, etc.?
    I form a general opinion pretty quickly about a person by his answers, eye focus and body language.

When he asks to take a ride I say. Sure, I just need two things.
    1. A copy of your license.
    2. Cash in my hand for the price of the bike.

This usually spurs a new buyer dialog of, "well I don't actually have any money right now", or "I don't want to pay your asking price".
    To which I would reply, "well come back when you have cash", or "well let's agree on a price should the bike be exactly what I'm telling you it is".

I have had people who were trying to lowball me trying to test ride.
    No thanks. Stop wasting my time.
    Make your deal first with cash in hand before they take off. Then give them a reasonable time limit.

I've purchased 8 bikes and sold 6. Never bought a used bike without a test ride and probably never will. But I usually show up on a bike, in riding gear.

It doesn't need to be the Cannonball. I just ask him if there is a large parking lot or quiet street where I can verify function.

As far as allowing test rides, when I sold the Harley, no way, but that was an eBay sale to a returning rider. Everything else, I tell them if they show up on a bike in riding gear and have a valid license I will take them to a local parking lot to "verify function." Usually they don't bother.

I once let a guy just sit on my bike that did not end well, the fucktard jumped on it only to lose his balance and go down with the bike. He got up and said "Bike is too heavy, I can't buy this." Needless to say I went postal, luckily there was already previous damage in the area that he damaged so I just told him to get lost.

After that incident I've vowed to never let anyone sit on or test ride without cash in hand.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

No test rides. Consider the liability. But if you have nothing to lose, go for it.

And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    No test rides. Consider the liability. But if you have nothing to lose, go for it.
    I actually call my insurance agent and have them increase my liability on a bike I'm selling.

If it is a huge issue with the buyer.

Let him ride bitch and you give the test ride.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    I actually call my insurance agent and have them increase my liability on a bike I'm selling.
    Jeeze, I bet youre real fun at parties.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Usually when you test ride a bike at a dealer, you have to sign a release which has probably been drafted by their lawyers. Dealers are usually corporations, so the individual owners are not liable, but they carry officers' and directors' insurance just in case anyone sues. The risks are the same when someone test drives an individual's bike, but the individual seller probably doesn't have the liability protection that a dealer does.

And don't believe everything you think.

over insure
    hand them the keys
    hope for the worst

I've bought 2 used bikes and was able to test ride both of them. My SV650 was bought from a riding buddy so the test ride was no problem. My KZ1000 was bought from a stranger (when I was 16) and he had no problem with me running it up and down the street several times.

Ultimately you have to evaluate the situation and decide what to do on your own. If your bike is in good condition, a test ride will only help it sell faster.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I wanna test ride before I buy her dinner and a movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast