Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

i promise

I Dance With Will

i promise

this has nothing to do w/ me wanting to upgrade any more. You've done a nice job of scaring me.

just another question for the group.

How many of you have been riding for awhile, haven't gone to the track, have gotten so lucky avoiding acident and consider yourself to be a good riders. Are there any? or is this a tough question? Let's see those hands?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

i promise

Kham, I would consider myself a "good" rider, I have never done a track day, but in the past 4 years, I have ridden darn close to 100,000 miles and it's really only this past year that I would consider myself a "good" rider

It hasn't come without crashing however, I have gone down a couble times, I've just been lucky not to have injuries or damage to my bike, I had a lowside 3 years ago on my way down to Deals Gap, in Roanoke, VA, I hit the grass at 70mph, slid almost 200feet, my saddlebags and other gear acted as a frameslider, I got a little turf wedged into my pegs etc, and some grass stains on my gear, but that was it, I had another lowside in an intersection in 1st gear, leaned over too far on wet greasy pavement, again, no damage or injust except my ego, a friend in a cage was right behind me and watched me do it, he was laughing his ass off.

I know my limitations, I don't really care to go fast, but I like to lean, I also know that my reaction times are waaaay slower than normal (prolly even a drunk person) And that;s why I always try and leave 3-4 seconds separation in front of me (at 100mph, that's a quarter mile) I avoid traffic at almost all costs, but it's nso much more fun going the long way anyway, and I don't mint riding on roads that are rough, have sand in corners, etc, infact, I kinda like gravel roads, even in winter when they are ice covered

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

i dont do the miles randy does

and as randy ive been down all my fault. good rider nahhh but i do try 2 b smart & carefull do the things you lern till you dont have 2 think. thinking takes 2 long practice makes perfect im still practicing .

....................... PinHead's Avatar

i promise

Yes my bike is a 900cc bike but your 600 probabably has more hp than mine, 90hp. (approx)

But I have put on about 12k mikes in the past 2 years and I am learning a ton of small things that help my riding ability greatly. This upcomming year I will be doing at least one track day. All of the peeps at the track are allways willing to help including myself, this exchange of info from all of us there is great beacause you pick up on lots of little things that you can try while riding that will improve your skills. My ablilities improved a ton this past year and thanks to Degs at the track who helped me adjust my suspension wooooooooo fuck! It turned my bike into a new one again that was more comfy to ride and stuck to the road allot better as well.

There is just so much to learn on these 2 wheeled toys dont think that power is everything. Yes it is a good part of riding but not the only part.

Come to the track this upcomming year on the bike and ask tons of questions, maybe even adjust you suspension as well as this isnt really a difficulft procedure and I would gladly help.

Oh yea, I have crashed before and they are right when they say it sucks!

Last edited by PinHead; 12-14-02 at 09:46 AM.
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

i promise

28 years of riding, racing for 6 of them, Been down 4 times....
    Once was my screw up, but the others were other peoples screw ups.

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

thats it in a nut shell kid im looking for some tin

Originally posted by JC
    I've been riding on the street since '98...and I've never 'crashed'. I dropped my bike in front of Derek once, though... MOOSE! I've done three track days, though. And FYI, trackdays are about the most fun you'll ever have on a bike if you actually enjoy riding it.

PS... the goal wasn't to scare you, but to point out that the bike you have is friggin' awesome, and is the perfect platform to become an excellent rider on.
    small for da wife 2 relern on & for me 2 flog small bikes rock ive been out with guys on them old 454s kawas dem fucking little shit ass things go like a raped rabit in the right hands or 1 a dem ninja 500s or even 250s on a tight road hard 2 pass

I Dance With Will

i salute..

you're all my i idol as far as bike goes..

i'll check back again when if im ever ready for more power. if i ever total this bike and still walk before i have the need, not want, to upgrade, then im not sure what will happened.

i kinda agree w/ the statement about two types of riders, "those who crash and those who will crash".. so just a question of when for the latter type. by this sense i'd like to better prepare for it. i have leather gears, need to get frame slider, what else?

"fuckit!"

i promise

I was hit, still crashed though.

I don't know if I'll ever be a good rider all I know is I'll keep tryin to be the best on my bike. 12,000 miles 2 bikes 3 years as of Oct '02 with six months laid up from crash and another six convinceing the wife to let me buy a new bike.

Two things I've learned in 3years.........1: Always look were you are going to be in 15 seconds, 2: Play the game "every fucker in a cage is out to kill me"

Points being ride within your ability

i promise

Originally posted by SEVENSGT
    1: Always look were you are going to be in 15 seconds, 2: Play the game "every fucker in a cage is out to kill me"

Points being ride within your ability
    15 seconds???? Fuck, that's almost 3900 feet ahead!
    with the reputation I got around here.....

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

i promise

Originally posted by TLRMan
    15 seconds???? Fuck, that's almost 3900 feet ahead!
    with the reputation I got around here.....

I didn't say it was easy, sometimes on 195 I'm in fall river lookin into seekonk

i promise

I have 6 full seasons of riding and i lost count of how many bikes i've had but i did start out on a FZR 600. I've never had a "street" crash (knock on wood), i have however been down two times and both with the same bike. One day after a 400 mile ride, i pull in my driveway, stop and fall over My second was on the track when someone slammed into me and took me out

I don't considder myself a great rider nor do i considder myself a bad rider, i feel i'm average and i'm pretty happy being there
    It's important to ride your own ride and not get lured into going faster just to keep up. I have two goals when i leave my house before a ride, #1 return home the same way i left, #2 is to have fun. Just being on the bike is fun to me, if i'm doing 25mph or 125 mph, i'm having fun

1000cc bikes are more poser friendly, that's why i gots one Plus i'm kinda lazy and like the fact that i can just put t in 5th or 6th gear and ride it all day

Yamaha

I Dance With Will

i promise

Originally posted by R7
    I have 6 full seasons of riding and i lost count of how many bikes i've had but i did start out on a FZR 600. I've never had a "street" crash (knock on wood), i have however been down two times and both with the same bike. One day after a 400 mile ride, i pull in my driveway, stop and fall over My second was on the track when someone slammed into me and took me out

I don't considder myself a great rider nor do i considder myself a bad rider, i feel i'm average and i'm pretty happy being there
    It's important to ride your own ride and not get lured into going faster just to keep up. I have two goals when i leave my house before a ride, #1 return home the same way i left, #2 is to have fun. Just being on the bike is fun to me, if i'm doing 25mph or 125 mph, i'm having fun

1000cc bikes are more poser friendly, that's why i gots one Plus i'm kinda lazy and like the fact that i can just put t in 5th or 6th gear and ride it all day
    This is my thoughts exactly. I can't speak for younger adults who still lives at home, but it doesn't mean that I want to get bigger bikes just to keep up. Just knowing that I own one of the most powerful machines is a good feeling and respect it's power.

For you're case, you are far more experience, but I wouldn't like to think that I'm stupid either. As someone put it "Dont believe all this bike is out to kill you garbage if you are stupid it will. " - Review of GSXR-1000

Again, I will give it sometimes to think about while gaining more experience.

"fuckit!"

i promise

Kham, your first year is just gonna be a "get acquainted" year. Your gonna gradually get better at the functions of the bike upshift/downshift, braking etc. At least for me it was an evolution of sorts, where you become comfortable to the point you don't have to THINK "what gear am I in"....you'll just know. You will then likely start to get deeper and deeper leans and a better feel for "planting" the bike and knowing when it will get disrupted. At that point it's just a matter a puting some mileage on. And not highway miles as they just sap your skills, and leave flat spots on your tires. LOL. You may want more HP down the road. I for one love it. But I am also starting to change my thinking with the newer crop of 600's. I like the idea of not having to toss a big bike around corners for 200 milers. It's tiring. And 115hp is pretty serious stuff regardless of the fact most mags are wow'd by the 150 hp gixxers and will pump that glitz and glamour into your head. Check the HP readings of racebikes, in some classes, in Roadrace World. You'll be suprised at how "little" some of those bikes are making.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

i promise

Hey, my racebike only makes 9.5hp
    Even at that, it managed to bite a few unsuspecting test riders

Yamaha