Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Proper Foot Protection

Proper Foot Protection

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    I would go with a set of these!
    I almost wore mine on Saturday, but opted for the riding boots instead.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Proper Foot Protection

I wear my alpinestarts GPS waterproof boots when riding, sometimes I'll do hiking boots if going for a local ride.

I think full on MC boots are a no-brainer for protection, but the moisture factor is tough in summer. I wish I could fiind a boot that was highly breathable, i.e. fabric maybe kevlar, with good armor around the ankle and outside of arch. Something that could go in the wash would be even better.

Work boots = no no because outside of abrasion protection they offer no support or armor around the fragile bones of the foot.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Proper Foot Protection

If you got the MONEY ... SIDI Air ... only 495 dolla's

http://www.newenough.com/sidi_vertig...boots_page.htm

A little cheaper at 275 dolla

http://www.newenough.com/sidi_vertig...boots_page.htm

I am sure that there are several other manufacturers that make them also. Problem with these boots is if it rains, it will be like just wearing wet socks at 70 mph.

I personally just wear a regular motorcycle boot (Oxtar's) and buy a good quality sock like Dainese or Falco ... they really make a difference

Kinda like RandyO's LDS magic underwear ...

Proper Foot Protection

If you want more casual looking shoes...
    I've tried some high Merrells with some success. Or other light hiking style boot.

Some are goretex based so are waterproof yet breathable.

I mail ordered a pair of Icons and promptly sent them back. No feel on the sole at all and they had a curved sole... sorta like walking on stilts that had rocking chair runners on the bottom... ridiculous !

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Proper Foot Protection

Originally posted by akira700
    If you want more casual looking shoes...
    I've tried some high Merrells with some success. Or other light hiking style boot.

Some are goretex based so are waterproof yet breathable.
    That's what I'm currently using, while waiting (very, VERY patiently) for my Icons to come in.

Originally posted by akira700 I mail ordered a pair of Icons and promptly sent them back. No feel on the sole at all and they had a curved sole... sorta like walking on stilts that had rocking chair runners on the bottom... ridiculous !
    Which Icon boots did you try?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Proper Foot Protection

my boots are technically waterproof (and I've had a damned good opportunity to test them lately ). the trick I have found is to wear silk socks underneath. silk is da bomb. great in winter and cool in summer. trouble is finding silk socks that fit over the calf. mine keep falling down and man, that feeling sucks.

Proper Foot Protection

which boots do you have?

I'm about to start commuting on the bike to work (I don't have a car yet) and want complete rain protection on my feet.

On the whole, I'm looking for boots with:
    -good ankle protection
    -stiff construction on the toes, ankles, and heels
    -as waterproof as they possibly come
    -all while fitting the 'business casual' dress code being draped under some khaki pants.

Proper Foot Protection

Originally posted by Bhavesh
    which boots do you have?

I'm about to start commuting on the bike to work (I don't have a car yet) and want complete rain protection on my feet.

On the whole, I'm looking for boots with:
    -good ankle protection
    -stiff construction on the toes, ankles, and heels
    -as waterproof as they possibly come
    -all while fitting the 'business casual' dress code being draped under some khaki pants.
    Get a tank bag and put your casual shoes in there. That's what I do.

|

Proper Foot Protection

I might end up doing that, or leaving a pair at work.

How are these?

http://www.newenough.com/sidi_champi...boots_page.htm

I know I should look for proper boots and leave shoes in a bag, but these look like they fit my bill well.

Proper Foot Protection

Originally posted by 97BladeRider
    I'm actually waiting on a pair of Icon Field Armor Street boots that I've ordered. I've tried GP boots and didn't like the feel of them. Not enough flex for me. [/B]
    Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    Then you are going to hate the Field Armor Street Boots. they have NO flex at all. It's like having a cast around the bottome of your foot.
    Well, I got my Field Armor boots in and love them. They're not too stiff at all. The only thing I need to get used to is the large toe. It makes upshifting different than with, say, hiking boots. This is actually the first pair of riding boots I've ever owned. Being the previous squid that I was, I've never ridden with anything heavier than work boots.

(by the way, someone told me that quid is actually an acronym. Does anyone know what the acronym is?)

|

Proper Foot Protection

The way my bike is designed I couldn't even get the boot into the space to shift. Glad they worked out for you.

I ended up trying out a pair of SIDI's and it worked out a hell of a lot better.

Proper Foot Protection

If you buy "casual" boots, get something OVER THE ANKLE!!!

When I lowsided last year, I had mid-ankle height work boots on, with the metal tabs at the top you loop the lace through as you tie it.

Those tabs got pretty much shaved off, and the very tip top of the boot next to my ankle got pretty worked over too. How my actual skin wasnt damaged, I have no idea. If I had had one lowcut boots, or sneakers, I probably would have been getting a good look at the insides of my ankle. And mind you, this was a 35mph lowside, and I dont think I slid anymore than 20feet, if that.

If you MUST go with casual footwear, that you bought solely for riding, at least get something that will protect your ankles, please!

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Proper Foot Protection

Ok so I ended up buying a pair of SIDI Veritgo Black. Should be here by the weekend, finally ankle protection.

There was this video I saw on the net that some squid was practicing his wheelies and he messed up and lowsided. The cameraman walks over to him, the guys crying in pain and when he panned down to his leg, his left foot got almost completely cut off but was dangling by a small piece of tissue. Yes he was wearing sneakers.

After seeing that video I was like HOLY SHIT! I think it's time to stop riding in sneakers!

Proper Foot Protection

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    There was this video I saw on the net that some squid was practicing his wheelies and he messed up and lowsided. The cameraman walks over to him, the guys crying in pain and when he panned down to his leg, his left foot got almost completely cut off but was dangling by a small piece of tissue. Yes he was wearing sneakers.

After seeing that video I was like HOLY SHIT! I think it's time to stop riding in sneakers!
    Are your intentions to practice wheelies?

|

Proper Foot Protection

No not at all. I don't mind watching stunters, but I would never participate in that activity.

I just want to make sure my feet are well protected in the event of a crash.

Proper Foot Protection

how much were they?

Proper Foot Protection

$275, free shipping, with 2 day shipping.

www.ironpony.com

Proper Foot Protection

Just tried out my SIDI vertigos. I must say I am truly impressed with the design.

I had decent flexability, and could walk almost perfectly normal.

Proper Foot Protection

I'm still waiting to get paid before buying boots, but I need them to be commuter/work friendly.

Are the vertigo's waterproof?

Proper Foot Protection

I'm still waiting to get paid before buying boots, but I need them to be commuter/work friendly.

i have the sidi vetebra tepor which are waterproof (also more expensive and warmer, but not unbearable during hot summer days). i think they make a waterproof vertigo too. i'd say they're commuter friendly, but they aren't something you'd want to wear at work all day. i generally carry sneakers with me to change into if i know i'm going to be off the bike for long periods of time...

Proper Foot Protection

They're comfortable enough to wear all day but you won't want to for two reasons. First, you'll be wearing the soles out of an expensive pair of boots by walking in them. Second, since they're tall they don't breath very well so if you wear them all day they are going to start to offend people when you take them off. Save the boots for riding and leave a pair of shoes at work to change into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12