Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

Lifer

Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

If you just need 21/18 hoops that is relatively easy. Tusk or whatever.
    The front rotor is kind of odd. 310mm. I think caliper brackets to go to a smaller rotor are rare.
    FYI the rear hub is entirely interchangeable with KTM dirt offerings from the 2000’s and 2010’s. I was able to bolt a DRZ 400 rear right to my 2012 200 XC.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Does the SM version have long enough suspension travel to use it as an enduro effectively?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If you just need 21/18 hoops that is relatively easy. Tusk or whatever.
    The front rotor is kind of odd. 310mm. I think caliper brackets to go to a smaller rotor are rare.
    FYI the rear hub is entirely interchangeable with KTM dirt offerings from the 2000’s and 2010’s. I was able to bolt a DRZ 400 rear right to my 2012 200 XC.
    My plan was to get a set of used 21/18 S or E wheels and put a SM rotor on it. OEM wheel also means the speed sensor hub will still work.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Does the SM version have long enough suspension travel to use it as an enduro effectively?
    1 inch less in fork travel, and 1 inch less in ground clearance.

I'll be learning to ride dirt on this do I think 10" + travel will be enough

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    1 inch less in fork travel, and 1 inch less in ground clearance.

Yeah that should suffice, that's a lot of travel. My CRF has less than that and its fine offroad.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Be ready for a handful. At least it is e-start!

Dirt roads and very mild 2-track? Fine.
    Anything more severe? Strongly consider something lighter and more "dirt" oriented.

I took this same route with a 2003 DRZ400S (actually a Kawasaki KLX400, which is just a rebranded DRZ). I destroyed the plastics, mangled a radiator and exerted a SHIT TON of energy lifting that pig before I bought a small 2-stroke "woods" bike which was way, way, way more conducive to making mistakes and learning. At that point the DRZ was retired to leaving dark spots in every corner of well graded dirt roads.

Also it is something of a struggle to support going street/SM <=> dirt on these bikes in part because of the brakes but more so because of the gearing. You'll find yourself swapping chains (a pain in the ass), taking links in/out (pain in the ass) or settling for gearing that is not quite right for either street or dirt.
    I have one friend that went so far as to source a whole 2nd set of dirt forks for his -SM. He now swaps the entire front end by dropping the forks out of the triples leaving the wheel intact. (And I actually don't know how he handles gearing.)

I'm sure you are on this, but don't forget that you will need a -E or -S model speedo pickup snail as well. I sourced a used -SM one and would do that switch as part of my swap. On the scale of things, that is easy. You are right, with aftermarket wheels you'd probably be in for a dash swap for a trail-tech or something.

If you are staying on dirt roads and mild 2-track then you could also consider putting more dirt-oriented rubber on the SM 17/17 set and be done with it. Last I checked there were decent options out there that were at least 70/30 street/dirt that may be a place to start.

Truth told, this is where I think I'd go were I doing it again. I think I'm done with multiple wheel size swaps. Or build around the 21/18 set from the start and add a second set of 21/18's with pseudo-street rubber in a "sportsman" setup.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Be ready for a handful. At least it is e-start!

Dirt roads and very mild 2-track? Fine.
    Anything more severe? Strongly consider something lighter and more "dirt" oriented.

I took this same route with a 2003 DRZ400S (actually a Kawasaki KLX400, which is just a rebranded DRZ). I destroyed the plastics, mangled a radiator and exerted a SHIT TON of energy lifting that pig before I bought a small 2-stroke "woods" bike which was way, way, way more conducive to making mistakes and learning. At that point the DRZ was retired to leaving dark spots in every corner of well graded dirt roads.

Also it is something of a struggle to support going street/SM <=> dirt on these bikes in part because of the brakes but more so because of the gearing. You'll find yourself swapping chains (a pain in the ass), taking links in/out (pain in the ass) or settling for gearing that is not quite right for either street or dirt.
    I have one friend that went so far as to source a whole 2nd set of dirt forks for his -SM. He now swaps the entire front end by dropping the forks out of the triples leaving the wheel intact. (And I actually don't know how he handles gearing.)

I'm sure you are on this, but don't forget that you will need a -E or -S model speedo pickup snail as well. I sourced a used -SM one and would do that switch as part of my swap. On the scale of things, that is easy. You are right, with aftermarket wheels you'd probably be in for a dash swap for a trail-tech or something.

If you are staying on dirt roads and mild 2-track then you could also consider putting more dirt-oriented rubber on the SM 17/17 set and be done with it. Last I checked there were decent options out there that were at least 70/30 street/dirt that may be a place to start.

Truth told, this is where I think I'd go were I doing it again. I think I'm done with multiple wheel size swaps. Or build around the 21/18 set from the start and add a second set of 21/18's with pseudo-street rubber in a "sportsman" setup.
    I said dirt but really I mean fire roads, logging roads, woods trails etc. I know its a compromised machine but I want to be able to ride to the woods and ride it back. seems like a decent choice to get off the pavement.

You’ll also probably need a longer kickstand for the taller wheels.

For general dirt roads and easy double track, put some inexpensive 244’s on the stock wheels and try it out (or TKC80’s if you have extra cash to burn).

Congrats on the new bike!

I bought dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM a decade ago and still never used them

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I bought dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM a decade ago and still never used them
    I'd be interested in buying them if they're for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    You’ll also probably need a longer kickstand for the taller wheels.

For general dirt roads and easy double track, put some inexpensive 244’s on the stock wheels and try it out (or TKC80’s if you have extra cash to burn).

Congrats on the new bike!
    I'd prob go the cheapo way and just use a tree. Or if I feel particularly spendy I'll get a block of wood.

That's a good idea about the tires. The idea of separate SM and dirt wheels is to still have good road performance while regular riding. Then swap it to the dirt wheels on the weekends.

I have no experience with a DRZ but I swap 17" street wheels with 21/18 dirt wheels on my WR250R. I bought two of the same rear sprockets and bolted them up to each set and have a caliper bracket to swap from the larger front sumo rotor to the smaller dirt rotor. I wouldn't want the larger rotor off road.

Next month I have a supermoto trackday one weekend and then a desert trip the weekend after. Takes me maybe 20 min to swap everything out. It's awesome having some sticky street rubber for road/track stuff and focused dirt tires for dirt. Hopefully there's an easy way to accomplish something similar.

Do you mind if I ask where online you found this? I’m actually shopping semi-seriously (meaning I plan to buy by spring, but am probably not ready yet unless its a great deal) for a midsize dual sport right now and I’m frustrated trying to find anything other than fb marketplace, which I hate using, and advrider which means most listings are on the wrong side of the country. Craigslist seems to be dead since they charge for listings now.

Congrats on the bike, by the way. Do you end up with a completely clean title after this process?

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Do you mind if I ask where online you found this? I’m actually shopping semi-seriously (meaning I plan to buy by spring, but am probably not ready yet unless its a great deal) for a midsize dual sport right now and I’m frustrated trying to find anything other than fb marketplace, which I hate using, and advrider which means most listings are on the wrong side of the country. Craigslist seems to be dead since they charge for listings now.

Congrats on the bike, by the way. Do you end up with a completely clean title after this process?
    I found this bike on Facebook. Most of their bikes are the "illegal dirt bike", "bikelife", or cheap ebay/amazon bikes that was confiscated or the owner/rider was arrested.

Saw a really nice modified Yamaha 450 dirt bike that looked the business. Inquired about it but they were saving it for WPD to do stings with. And this DRZ was probably not the typical bike they get.

msg me for more info. I know my friends are interested in dirt/dual sport bikes too after my purchase.

The RMV allows you to check the title type(status) online. I checked before the purchase and it shows it was a clear title. The bike now shows under my RMV profile and it also shows clear. According to RMV online there is no such thing as a "clean" title, but there is clear.

I thought this was going to be an ethics thread rather than a mechanics-of-getting-things-titled thread.

Asset forfeiture is usually some bullshit, and imho this is no exception.

Does look like a sweet bike at a sweet price, though.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I thought this was going to be an ethics thread rather than a mechanics-of-getting-things-titled thread.

Asset forfeiture is usually some bullshit, and imho this is no exception.
    generally I would agree but there was more to this story from my research. I just didn't add it all in here.

Either way, no shade intended on you for taking advantage of a solid deal. Just don't think I'll bookmark that particular motorcycle provider.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

I love SM bikes and owned a factory built tard for quite a few years. I am not a fan of converted dirtbikes for two reasons. One, the rake of a dirtbike vs a street oriented motard are totally different. One will feel lazy on the road - the other twitchy in the woods. The other issue with trying to do both is the suspension valving. Someone above mentioned travel - the real issue is stiffness. Dirt will be soft af and suck on the street, motard will be stiff and really suck in the dirt.

Took it out a couple times over the weekend. What hoot of a bike! Very involving bike to ride. Really have to work the gear box due to short gearing and having only 5 gears but it makes it really fun. Makes me want to do hooligan things...must resist. Low power compared to my S1000 but really fun under 55mph. Does the highway fine at 75mph just a bit windy lol.

The bike likes to pop a bunch on decel. Just pop pop pop pop pop in an organize sequence as it coasts down the rpm range. No bangs. Haven't owned a carbed bike in 20 years and never owned a single. Is this normal? Anything to be concerned about?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Pop on decel indicates the bike is running lean and/or has exhaust leaks. I'd start by inspecting the exhaust to be sure it is properly installed and not leaking.

If it is like most DRZs, it has an aftermarket can and a hacked up airbox. Nice thing about the DRZ is there is a TON of info out there for the googling. Pages of people reporting what jetting worked best for them on thumpertalk and the like.
    I'd pull the carb apart and see what jetting you have now, cross reference with what the prevailing internet wisdom suggests for sea-level jetting with whatever mods you have and start there. Sounds like it starts and runs well as is. But my experience is that a lot of people bolt on the freer flowing exhaust and cut up the airbox without touching the stock jetting. This obviously leans it out and is quite silly as you aren't getting the extra powah. Unfortunately tweaking the A/F screw won't get you enough and you will have to change at least the main.
    But stuff happens, maybe the bike was jetted already and you just need to fine tune that air screw.

When I had mine the hot upgrade was to replace the CV carb with a pumper like the -E model has. Those were quickly getting absurdly priced though. A nice runner up on the cheap was to go to a larger carb. The 40mm CVK-40 off a KLR650 was a nice, relatively cheap and easy upgrade. I went this route. I may have notes about what I ran for jetting somewhere if you wind up going this route. Biggest upside was better throttle response, especially when wound up.

Popping on deceleration is pretty normal on a carbed thumper, and you hear it louder with an aftermarket pipe.
    It’s not necessarily due to lean jetting, rather due to a temporary lean condition.
    Here’s a post I saved about this from Procycle, the guru for all things Suzuki DR650-related
    Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-24907b49-5412-49b5-b264-a9a04ae22673Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-e5e3f4db-8b34-4b07-a819-c482764fcce6

I would check the idle jet for being clogged. Doesn't cost anything.

Lifer

You learn something every day! I thought that was what the diaphragm needle did in a CV carb; even out the mix even if/when your right hand chops the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Popping on deceleration is pretty normal on a carbed thumper, and you hear it louder with an aftermarket pipe.
    It’s not necessarily due to lean jetting, rather due to a temporary lean condition.
    Here’s a post I saved about this from Procycle, the guru for all things Suzuki DR650-related
    Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-24907b49-5412-49b5-b264-a9a04ae22673Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-e5e3f4db-8b34-4b07-a819-c482764fcce6
    Good to know. I do have a full Yoshi exhaust on it. The airbox is stock (no 3x3 mod) and as far as I know stock carb tuning. Personally think it sounds kinda cool but hate to be annoying to others.

Over the winter I'm going to take the carb off, clean and rejet it. Also gonna do the 3x3. That's pretty much it for power mods.

I want to keep riding this thing. I don't believe the stock charging system will be able to handle heated jacket and gloves which pulls 8.6amps. Guess I might have to ride the BMW then. First world problems...

I'll tell ya, this thing gets a ton of attention. From kids, grown men, chicks. All have waved at me for no other reason that me riding by. I also feel that I'm getting attention from LEOs given that it looks like a dirtbike. Lets hope they don't give me any trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast