Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

  1. #26
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company


    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    The way this market is going, Anything under $5k for a DRZ is a good deal O.o
    If $5k is a good deal then this was a great deal.

    2017 SM with 5k miles. Not crazy about the graphics. All it needs is a battery, blinker, and headlight bracket. Then it's all customization after that.

    Gonna be looking for a set of dirt wheels for true dual sporting if anyone has a lead.

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SwiftTone; 11-02-21 at 08:37 AM.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  2. #27
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,612

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    If you just need 21/18 hoops that is relatively easy. Tusk or whatever.
    The front rotor is kind of odd. 310mm. I think caliper brackets to go to a smaller rotor are rare.
    FYI the rear hub is entirely interchangeable with KTM dirt offerings from the 2000’s and 2010’s. I was able to bolt a DRZ 400 rear right to my 2012 200 XC.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #28
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Does the SM version have long enough suspension travel to use it as an enduro effectively?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  4. #29
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If you just need 21/18 hoops that is relatively easy. Tusk or whatever.
    The front rotor is kind of odd. 310mm. I think caliper brackets to go to a smaller rotor are rare.
    FYI the rear hub is entirely interchangeable with KTM dirt offerings from the 2000ís and 2010ís. I was able to bolt a DRZ 400 rear right to my 2012 200 XC.
    My plan was to get a set of used 21/18 S or E wheels and put a SM rotor on it. OEM wheel also means the speed sensor hub will still work.

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  5. #30
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Does the SM version have long enough suspension travel to use it as an enduro effectively?
    1 inch less in fork travel, and 1 inch less in ground clearance.

    I'll be learning to ride dirt on this do I think 10" + travel will be enough

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  6. #31
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    1 inch less in fork travel, and 1 inch less in ground clearance.

    I'll be learning to ride dirt on this do I think 10" + travel will be enough

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Yeah that should suffice, that's a lot of travel. My CRF has less than that and its fine offroad.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  7. #32
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,612

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I'll be learning to ride dirt on this do I think 10" + travel will be enough
    Be ready for a handful. At least it is e-start!

    Dirt roads and very mild 2-track? Fine.
    Anything more severe? Strongly consider something lighter and more "dirt" oriented.

    I took this same route with a 2003 DRZ400S (actually a Kawasaki KLX400, which is just a rebranded DRZ). I destroyed the plastics, mangled a radiator and exerted a SHIT TON of energy lifting that pig before I bought a small 2-stroke "woods" bike which was way, way, way more conducive to making mistakes and learning. At that point the DRZ was retired to leaving dark spots in every corner of well graded dirt roads.

    Also it is something of a struggle to support going street/SM <=> dirt on these bikes in part because of the brakes but more so because of the gearing. You'll find yourself swapping chains (a pain in the ass), taking links in/out (pain in the ass) or settling for gearing that is not quite right for either street or dirt.
    I have one friend that went so far as to source a whole 2nd set of dirt forks for his -SM. He now swaps the entire front end by dropping the forks out of the triples leaving the wheel intact. (And I actually don't know how he handles gearing.)

    I'm sure you are on this, but don't forget that you will need a -E or -S model speedo pickup snail as well. I sourced a used -SM one and would do that switch as part of my swap. On the scale of things, that is easy. You are right, with aftermarket wheels you'd probably be in for a dash swap for a trail-tech or something.

    If you are staying on dirt roads and mild 2-track then you could also consider putting more dirt-oriented rubber on the SM 17/17 set and be done with it. Last I checked there were decent options out there that were at least 70/30 street/dirt that may be a place to start.

    Truth told, this is where I think I'd go were I doing it again. I think I'm done with multiple wheel size swaps. Or build around the 21/18 set from the start and add a second set of 21/18's with pseudo-street rubber in a "sportsman" setup.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #33
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Be ready for a handful. At least it is e-start!

    Dirt roads and very mild 2-track? Fine.
    Anything more severe? Strongly consider something lighter and more "dirt" oriented.

    I took this same route with a 2003 DRZ400S (actually a Kawasaki KLX400, which is just a rebranded DRZ). I destroyed the plastics, mangled a radiator and exerted a SHIT TON of energy lifting that pig before I bought a small 2-stroke "woods" bike which was way, way, way more conducive to making mistakes and learning. At that point the DRZ was retired to leaving dark spots in every corner of well graded dirt roads.

    Also it is something of a struggle to support going street/SM <=> dirt on these bikes in part because of the brakes but more so because of the gearing. You'll find yourself swapping chains (a pain in the ass), taking links in/out (pain in the ass) or settling for gearing that is not quite right for either street or dirt.
    I have one friend that went so far as to source a whole 2nd set of dirt forks for his -SM. He now swaps the entire front end by dropping the forks out of the triples leaving the wheel intact. (And I actually don't know how he handles gearing.)

    I'm sure you are on this, but don't forget that you will need a -E or -S model speedo pickup snail as well. I sourced a used -SM one and would do that switch as part of my swap. On the scale of things, that is easy. You are right, with aftermarket wheels you'd probably be in for a dash swap for a trail-tech or something.

    If you are staying on dirt roads and mild 2-track then you could also consider putting more dirt-oriented rubber on the SM 17/17 set and be done with it. Last I checked there were decent options out there that were at least 70/30 street/dirt that may be a place to start.

    Truth told, this is where I think I'd go were I doing it again. I think I'm done with multiple wheel size swaps. Or build around the 21/18 set from the start and add a second set of 21/18's with pseudo-street rubber in a "sportsman" setup.
    I said dirt but really I mean fire roads, logging roads, woods trails etc. I know its a compromised machine but I want to be able to ride to the woods and ride it back. seems like a decent choice to get off the pavement.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  9. #34
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    You’ll also probably need a longer kickstand for the taller wheels.

    For general dirt roads and easy double track, put some inexpensive 244’s on the stock wheels and try it out (or TKC80’s if you have extra cash to burn).

    Congrats on the new bike!

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #35

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    I bought dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM a decade ago and still never used them

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #36
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I bought dirt wheels for my DRZ400SM a decade ago and still never used them
    I'd be interested in buying them if they're for sale!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  12. #37
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    You’ll also probably need a longer kickstand for the taller wheels.

    For general dirt roads and easy double track, put some inexpensive 244’s on the stock wheels and try it out (or TKC80’s if you have extra cash to burn).

    Congrats on the new bike!
    I'd prob go the cheapo way and just use a tree. Or if I feel particularly spendy I'll get a block of wood.

    That's a good idea about the tires. The idea of separate SM and dirt wheels is to still have good road performance while regular riding. Then swap it to the dirt wheels on the weekends.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  13. #38
    Lifer OneCheekRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    I have no experience with a DRZ but I swap 17" street wheels with 21/18 dirt wheels on my WR250R. I bought two of the same rear sprockets and bolted them up to each set and have a caliper bracket to swap from the larger front sumo rotor to the smaller dirt rotor. I wouldn't want the larger rotor off road.

    Next month I have a supermoto trackday one weekend and then a desert trip the weekend after. Takes me maybe 20 min to swap everything out. It's awesome having some sticky street rubber for road/track stuff and focused dirt tires for dirt. Hopefully there's an easy way to accomplish something similar.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #39
    Senior Member Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    40
    Posts
    692

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Do you mind if I ask where online you found this? I’m actually shopping semi-seriously (meaning I plan to buy by spring, but am probably not ready yet unless its a great deal) for a midsize dual sport right now and I’m frustrated trying to find anything other than fb marketplace, which I hate using, and advrider which means most listings are on the wrong side of the country. Craigslist seems to be dead since they charge for listings now.

    Congrats on the bike, by the way. Do you end up with a completely clean title after this process?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  15. #40
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Do you mind if I ask where online you found this? I’m actually shopping semi-seriously (meaning I plan to buy by spring, but am probably not ready yet unless its a great deal) for a midsize dual sport right now and I’m frustrated trying to find anything other than fb marketplace, which I hate using, and advrider which means most listings are on the wrong side of the country. Craigslist seems to be dead since they charge for listings now.

    Congrats on the bike, by the way. Do you end up with a completely clean title after this process?
    I found this bike on Facebook. Most of their bikes are the "illegal dirt bike", "bikelife", or cheap ebay/amazon bikes that was confiscated or the owner/rider was arrested.

    Saw a really nice modified Yamaha 450 dirt bike that looked the business. Inquired about it but they were saving it for WPD to do stings with. And this DRZ was probably not the typical bike they get.

    msg me for more info. I know my friends are interested in dirt/dual sport bikes too after my purchase.

    The RMV allows you to check the title type(status) online. I checked before the purchase and it shows it was a clear title. The bike now shows under my RMV profile and it also shows clear. According to RMV online there is no such thing as a "clean" title, but there is clear.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  16. #41
    no can kneedown feralchimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somerville MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    823

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    I thought this was going to be an ethics thread rather than a mechanics-of-getting-things-titled thread.

    Asset forfeiture is usually some bullshit, and imho this is no exception.

    Does look like a sweet bike at a sweet price, though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-6R, 701 E/SM, Hyperstrada 821

  17. #42
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    551

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #43
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I thought this was going to be an ethics thread rather than a mechanics-of-getting-things-titled thread.

    Asset forfeiture is usually some bullshit, and imho this is no exception.
    .
    generally I would agree but there was more to this story from my research. I just didn't add it all in here.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  19. #44
    no can kneedown feralchimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somerville MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    823

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Either way, no shade intended on you for taking advantage of a solid deal. Just don't think I'll bookmark that particular motorcycle provider.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-6R, 701 E/SM, Hyperstrada 821

  20. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Andover, Ma
    Posts
    288

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    I love SM bikes and owned a factory built tard for quite a few years. I am not a fan of converted dirtbikes for two reasons. One, the rake of a dirtbike vs a street oriented motard are totally different. One will feel lazy on the road - the other twitchy in the woods. The other issue with trying to do both is the suspension valving. Someone above mentioned travel - the real issue is stiffness. Dirt will be soft af and suck on the street, motard will be stiff and really suck in the dirt.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #46
    Lifer SwiftTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norwood, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Took it out a couple times over the weekend. What hoot of a bike! Very involving bike to ride. Really have to work the gear box due to short gearing and having only 5 gears but it makes it really fun. Makes me want to do hooligan things...must resist. Low power compared to my S1000 but really fun under 55mph. Does the highway fine at 75mph just a bit windy lol.

    The bike likes to pop a bunch on decel. Just pop pop pop pop pop in an organize sequence as it coasts down the rpm range. No bangs. Haven't owned a carbed bike in 20 years and never owned a single. Is this normal? Anything to be concerned about?

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

    Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

  22. #47
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,612

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Pop on decel indicates the bike is running lean and/or has exhaust leaks. I'd start by inspecting the exhaust to be sure it is properly installed and not leaking.

    If it is like most DRZs, it has an aftermarket can and a hacked up airbox. Nice thing about the DRZ is there is a TON of info out there for the googling. Pages of people reporting what jetting worked best for them on thumpertalk and the like.
    I'd pull the carb apart and see what jetting you have now, cross reference with what the prevailing internet wisdom suggests for sea-level jetting with whatever mods you have and start there. Sounds like it starts and runs well as is. But my experience is that a lot of people bolt on the freer flowing exhaust and cut up the airbox without touching the stock jetting. This obviously leans it out and is quite silly as you aren't getting the extra powah. Unfortunately tweaking the A/F screw won't get you enough and you will have to change at least the main.
    But stuff happens, maybe the bike was jetted already and you just need to fine tune that air screw.

    When I had mine the hot upgrade was to replace the CV carb with a pumper like the -E model has. Those were quickly getting absurdly priced though. A nice runner up on the cheap was to go to a larger carb. The 40mm CVK-40 off a KLR650 was a nice, relatively cheap and easy upgrade. I went this route. I may have notes about what I ran for jetting somewhere if you wind up going this route. Biggest upside was better throttle response, especially when wound up.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #48
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,238

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    Popping on deceleration is pretty normal on a carbed thumper, and you hear it louder with an aftermarket pipe.
    Itís not necessarily due to lean jetting, rather due to a temporary lean condition.
    Hereís a post I saved about this from Procycle, the guru for all things Suzuki DR650-related
    Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-24907b49-5412-49b5-b264-a9a04ae22673Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company-e5e3f4db-8b34-4b07-a819-c482764fcce6

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #49
    daideů Rambunctous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    Posts
    7,264

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    I would check the idle jet for being clogged. Doesn't cost anything.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CLICK BELOW TO PROTECT YOUR FRAGILITY (Get a set of raisins like Vovchandr you pansies)

    CLICK HERE TO PUT ME ON IGNORE

  25. #50
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,612

    Re: Purchasing an unclaimed bike from a tow company

    You learn something every day! I thought that was what the diaphragm needle did in a CV carb; even out the mix even if/when your right hand chops the throttle.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •