Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question...

Question...

I know there are plenty of threads about helmets, but I'm looking at AGV (on the low cost range) Shoei (middle of the road cost range) and Arai (towards the top end of the cost range). Right now, I'm just getting this helmet for the track (track days only right now) but obviously a good lid is important. Now I know a lot has to do with fit, and I've tried on the arais (i like the quantum 2) and a shoei (the RF-1000), but I've never tried on an AGV.

So my question is how does AGV fit or compare to the other two brands and does anyone have any comments about other shoei types like the TZ-R or X-11?

Any personal experiences that could give me an idea would help out lots! Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Question...

Personally I have worn most with the exception of Shark or Scorpion and I found for my head shape and size the ARAI's are BEST Fit and quality. They are easy to find on eBay for 300 and under and will be the best money spent next to gloves, coat or boots. my 2cents

Lifer

If you're just using it for track, comfort shouldn't matter that much. F1 and drag racers wear the tightest helmets possible because they only wear them for a short period of time. Most helmets will provide you with decent protection, but look around for the best ones online. ARAI is expensive mostly because of teh padding they use for their legendary "comfort". DOn't buy one just because it's comfortable, look for one that does it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Personally I have worn most with the exception of Shark or Scorpion and I found for my head shape and size the ARAI's are BEST Fit and quality. They are easy to find on eBay for 300 and under and will be the best money spent next to gloves, coat or boots. my 2cents
    Im the opposite. I wish the Arai would fit my head, but they dont. I currently have a Shoei RF1000 for the track which fits great and a Suomy Spec1R which also fits great. I just bought a Scorpion EXO1000 for the street with the built in sunshades and the pump to fit cheekpads. Cool.

The best thing you can do is try them on. Get the brand and size that fits perfectly and then look through the catalog and order the one you like the colors of.

Helmets are like shoes.....You GOTTA try them on.

John

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Suomy Spec1R

Last edited by Crash Dummy Denno; 01-11-08 at 10:33 AM.
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

I'm on my second X-11.
    They are light, cool, and aerodynamic.
    Plus they fit my head.
    Home | Helmet Harbor has good deals. You need to call to get a really good price!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

If you want a good one for the track, go to Alan at MotoMarket or something and have one properly fitted. Next helmet I get thats what Im doing.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Could not find an Aria that would fit me after they made changes to the Quantum. Went to a Shoei Rf1000 which fits great, is light and well vented. It was a toss up between that and a Shark RSI which I really liked but just would not fit my glasses in it.

I piss excellence!

you really need to try them all on to see what's best for you. i've got a couple of shoei x-11's and an arai rx-7 - they both fit me very well but i did have to change the cheek pads to get it right. i also really like the suomys but i can't get one to fit me the way i like.

i work at a shop - we sell arai, shoei and suomy. different brands work better with different people. between trying on all the different models and swapping out pads, often times i end up spending over an hour working with people to find the right helmet.

the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

thanks all... i appreciate it!

Go to Brockton Cycle and try on all the helmets they have there (decent selection) keep each one on for like 10-15 mins. Pick the one you like the most but don't buy it. Go home and buy the one you like online for much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBilly View Post
    Go to Brockton Cycle and try on all the helmets they have there (decent selection) keep each one on for like 10-15 mins. Pick the one you like the most but don't buy it. Go home and buy the one you like online for much cheaper.
    Their selection isnt all that great. Last time I was there it was mostly low end HJC and they were trying to get rid of the arais. Didnt have many at all.

Why just get it for only the track? Use it for the street too. Dont you think it would serve you better then that other death lid you own with the pieces glued back on to it?

James

Last time I went there was about a year ago, so things probably have changed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    Suomy Spec1R
    I'm with this idiot.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    I'm with this idiot.
    thanks

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

I like my x-11.

Nice TT's

agv ti tech, absolutly the ligthtest helmet i think under 3lbs which is amazing and its fantasticly comfortable... if your head fits in it buy one, i cant wear shoei's but the agv fits like a glooooooove

Pick the one you like the most but don't buy it. Go home and buy the one you like online for much cheaper.
    Not to brake your balls or anything, but that is the worst advise that I have ever seen if you want your local dealerships to continue to stock items and provide you with a service. Support your local shops and build long term relationships with them. There is much more to a good deal then just the price.

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Not to brake your balls or anything, but that is the worst advise that I have ever seen if you want your local dealerships to continue to stock items and provide you with a service. Support your local shops and build long term relationships with them. There is much more to a good deal then just the price.
    Agreed, but it is a matter of preference. I personally can get a good deal wat my local shop because they know me and my husband, and we are frequent customers with them. However, they also know we are price shoopers and will work with us to get the costs reduced so we will keep going back rathe than shopping online. If you talk with the people who are helping you, like really talk to them, they are more likely to help you out.

As for fit, I am partial to my Arai, though I have never tried an AGV other than one that was easily 2 sizes too big. I have a very small head (being female) and many men do not understand that. If you can take the time to get a few hours in with someone, do that, as they will know your head better than you by the time they are done.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.