Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

question

I Dance With Will

Question question

what is the function of steering dampeners? for doing stunts like wheelies?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

if you did a tank slaper

then you would kiss your steering dampener .

thats when you cant hold your handlebars

and thay slap your tank back and forth untill you get weight on your front tire . or die trying it scares the shit out of ya

question

steering dampeners help absorb vibrations in the front end, usually it's just there to make the bike a little more stable/predictable/comfortable, but sometimes it's necessary to stop little vibrations from growing into tankslappers (I believe the suzuki TL series bikes had a big problem with that before they started fitting dampeners on them) I'm sure there are people here who can give you more detailed explainations than I...

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

question

Originally posted by Matt K
    steering dampeners help absorb vibrations in the front end, usually it's just there to make the bike a little more stable/predictable/comfortable, but sometimes it's necessary to stop little vibrations from growing into tankslappers (I believe the suzuki TL series bikes had a big problem with that before they started fitting dampeners on them) I'm sure there are people here who can give you more detailed explainations than I...
    The only reason the TL series had steering dampners installed was because a stupid, motor journalist managed to kill himself on one. Way back in 1997? Right Josh?

This is one of the reasons the TL line never sold well was because it was known as a MURDERCYCLE...

My dampner doesn't do shit, and the bike never gave me a hint of and tank slappin' tendencies...

Now Hondas, are a different story! Bwaaaa Haaaa!

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

I Dance With Will

thanks

sounds like something I need.

"fuckit!"

question

Don't get caught up in the hype. If you are not at racing level it's a tool you would have paid for and never realize the benefit. You sound like you haven't been riding for a very long time. Let your riding experience dictate the modifications you need.

In other words, DON'T buy it if ya ain't gotta need fer it.

FireNutz

question

I agree, unless you ride very hard or ride on the track a lot you really don't need one. If you have to ask what it does you more then likely haven't had a scare of a tank slapper. Unless you have about $400 to burn might as well save your money for something else.

I Dance With Will

now you're confusing me

from the explanation above, it helps w/ stability. don't you need that on the street as much as on track?

btw - where do you go to buy Honda OEM parts. I can't seem to find a decent website.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

wait

I still dont get what is a "tankslapper"?

"fuckit!"

question

Unless you are a really hard rider and dragging a knee around corners I would say you don't need a dampener. That's what I mean about riding hard. A tank slapper is when you get on the gas hard and the front tire becomes light the bars can go back and forth very hard and make the bike squirm almost to the point of having no control. You can also get a tank slapper going over a rough road at high speeds. I looks like you ride a CBR F4-i as far as I know that bike doesn't usally have a problem with tank slapping. Like I said if you have $400 to burn buy one if it makes you feel better. Places to look for OEM parts:
    Look in the back of a Motor Cyclist mag. They have tons of listings. A good place is Cost Plus honda 877-607-1300

I Dance With Will

question

i don't have cash to burn, but i'll spend only if there's benefit.

thanks a lot for saving me some $$$.. appreciated.

"fuckit!"

yep i slaped me old honda

Originally posted by TLRMan
    The only reason the TL series had steering dampners installed was because a stupid, motor journalist managed to kill himself on one. Way back in 1997? Right Josh?

This is one of the reasons the TL line never sold well was because it was known as a MURDERCYCLE...

My dampner doesn't do shit, and the bike never gave me a hint of and tank slappin' tendencies...

Now Hondas, are a different story! Bwaaaa Haaaa!
    & you dont need 2 b racing wierd bump i think i was going 2 fast lol

it's damper...not dampener, lol

Dampen-
    damp·en Pronunciation Key (dmpn)
    v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens
    v. tr.
    To make damp.
    To soundproof.

Damp-
    tr.v. damped, damp·ing, damps
    To extinguish (a fire, for example) by cutting off air.
    To restrain or check; discourage.
    Physics. To decrease the amplitude of (an oscillating system).

"to restrain or check" is the most fitting definition for this....under heavy accelleration when the front wheel gets light, on some bikes it's not very difficult to put the wheel down slightly crooked...resulting in what is referred to as a "tank slapper". When this occurs, the front wheel skips as the handlebars violently thrash from one side to the other, often resulting in a total loss of control and/or a crash. A steering damper basically limits, or 'restrains' the speed at which the handlebars can move from one side to the other. You can effectively reduce the risk of tankslappers without interfering with normal riding movement, depending on the damper. ....

Some dampers have variable speed damping...such as the Scotts damper. Under normal riding conditions, the damper is nearly transparent, meaning that it doesn't put any additional resistance on the movement of the handlebars. However, if you were to put the front wheel down crooked causing the bars to jerk to one side, the damper would kick in and hopefully keep the movement under control...allowing you to keep control of the bike, as opposed to flailing and scrambling in a fleeting attempt to stay on the bike during a bad tank slapper.

I hope this helps.

-Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

question

Originally posted by TLRMan
    [B]The only reason the TL series had steering dampners installed was because a stupid, motor journalist managed to kill himself on one. Way back in 1997? Right Josh?
    Yep! The TLS was very prone to tank slappers, but lots of people say that it was also due to the fact that at that time most sportbikes couldn't lift the front wheel coming out of a corner quite as easy as the TL, so it was especially easy for a rider to get into some trouble.

Wrong! Your damper makes you work harder than you need to! I never realized how stiff the stock damper was until I got the Scotts. I thought my bike felt heavy with the stock damper, and now it feels like a completely different bike. I don't think the TLR had the same affinity for the tankslapper that the TLS did, mainly because of the different weight distribution (heavier in the front, less apt to get the front wheel in the air in a corner). I wouldn't recommend taking a damper off of a bike that came equipped with one...but I would recommend upgrading to a better one. It makes more of a difference than you would believe, especially when we're talking about the TL damper (stiff baby stiff!).

Steering dampers...good, and bad...depending on the one you have.

question

Oh and my TLS has NEVER given me a problem with headshake (except at the drags....it's pretty bumpy mid-track, but I just keep it WFO and hold on!), with either damper on the bike. I've put down more crooked wheelies than lots of people have miles on their bike....no problems at all.

I Dance With Will

Re: it's damper...not dampener, lol

Originally posted by JC
    Dampen-

"to restrain or check" is the most fitting definition for this....under heavy accelleration when the front wheel gets light, on some bikes it's not very difficult to put the wheel down slightly crooked...resulting in what is referred to as a "tank slapper". When this occurs, the front wheel skips as the handlebars violently thrash from one side to the other, often resulting in a total loss of control and/or a crash. A steering damper basically limits, or 'restrains' the speed at which the handlebars can move from one side to the other. You can effectively reduce the risk of tankslappers without interfering with normal riding movement, depending on the damper. ....

I hope this helps.
    dampers, dampeners, damnit.. close enough.

This is what I thought originally. Someone told me when doing wheelies, the dampers(whatever) helps keep in control when the front comes down. I've seen videos of crash stoppies as a result of handlebars whacking back n forth. This could benefit me if I was to practice stunts like this. So far I haven't seen any comments on it.

"fuckit!"

question

I can't think of how a damper would benefit you in any way while doing a stoppie...but I could be wrong.

Dic on

question

If you land a wheelie with the bars way off line (turned one way or the other) a damper is the LASt thing you want to have installed. It will stop the bars from returning to straight and cause you to crash.

Degsy

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

question

Nice definition there, JC. It's DAMPER, DAMPER, DAMPER!!! That drives me fuckin' nutz...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

question

Personally, I like it when people point out when I'm using the wrong word, or passing on bad info. That way I have the correct info, and feel good knowing it. Some people take offense when I make corrections (and I'm not saying you're taking offense, Kham)...which always seems silly since I'm just trying to help.

Lifer

question

Suspension

This page has a nice animated diagram of a oil-based damper. It's based on Mountain bike forks, but they're pretty much clones of motorcycle forks.

The steering damper works the same way, but it's probably constructed differently.

Ben

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

question

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Nice definition there, JC. It's DAMPER, DAMPER, DAMPER!!! That drives me fuckin' nutz...
    yep... an' how 'bout them DAMPENING rods in them thar NU-CU-LER reactors?

dunno why I let stuff like this bug the shit outta me... in the grand scheme of things, it ain't that big a deal...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

question

yep... an' how 'bout them DAMPENING rods in them thar NU-CU-LER reactors?
    Hee hee....musta read that down at the LIBERRY...

dunno why I let stuff like this bug the shit outta me... in the grand scheme of things, it ain't that big a deal... [/B]
    Eh, never mind me. EVERYTHING'S bugging the shit outta me lately...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

question

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Hee hee....musta read that down at the LIBERRY...

Eh, never mind me. EVERYTHING'S bugging the shit outta me lately...
    ro-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oll another one... just like the other one...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast