Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

question

Re: Re: it's damper...not dampener, lol

Originally posted by Kham
    dampers, dampeners, damnit.. close enough.

This is what I thought originally. Someone told me when doing wheelies, the dampers(whatever) helps keep in control when the front comes down. I've seen videos of crash stoppies as a result of handlebars whacking back n forth. This could benefit me if I was to practice stunts like this. So far I haven't seen any comments on it.
    um, i ride a tlr and last ride of the season i ended up doing a really nasty high speed (60mph) stoppie and one thing led to another and i managed to get into and out of a tank slapper, that was my first tank slappy stoppie it wasnt fun i dont know how i managed to get out of it but im sure it had someting to do with my steering damper.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    tiller

LRRS# 415

www.onedownfiveup.com

I Dance With Will

ah ha..

I knew I wasn't just saying things. Do you think the dam pers would have helped? i think so..

i think it's a compromise, depends on the situation. if it's adjustable then great, if not then you won't be able to steer as quick as before, according to Criminalspeed. the R6 is famous for quick steer; good or bad , but sounds good though.

thanks for the discussion, i guess i won't be needing one anytime soon.

"fuckit!"

question

i would recomend one for everyone bike because not everybikes needs one but every bike has the potential to do tank slappers at one point or another, my buddies use scotts dampers which he likes because he can adjust on the fly, im to damn poor but when and if i get the muhlah i will be purchasing a scotts but the ohlins unit is nice too

tiller

LRRS# 415

www.onedownfiveup.com

I Dance With Will

question

Originally posted by T-595 Greg
    and then of course there's always....INANE from our friends over at Maddox
    lol.. I just saw this page. This is too funny.

"fuckit!"

question

A tank slapper is what ultimitely led to me leaving my RF900R dangling from a tree a coupla years ago. I FIRMLY believe that a steering DAMPER woulda prevented it...

If you do a lot of riding in central to northern NH, I'd recommend getting one...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

question

Yes, definately get one. There are a few adjustables out there. Scott's as mentioned, and I think Hyper Pro makes one.

The 1k's need to be upgraded from stock. but I gots no monies!
    GMS1000 can prolly tell ya all about tank slap too.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I Dance With Will

hmm..

some of you mention i don't need one for Honda and for normal ride situation. i plan to ride a lot and to push the bike to it's limit on the street. in fact all my weekends are booked for riding this season. who knows what will happen. isn't it a safety device, like helmet, so wouln't be a bad idea to have one as an extra precaution. You wouldn't want to wait till need it.

well like others said, if it makes you feel better then get it.

"fuckit!"

question

To put my 2 cents in here also... I also use a Scotts damper on my R1. As anyone in here who's ridden one will tell you the R1's have a tendency to head shake when accelerating hard especially if there are bumps anywhere in your path (assuming the front wheel isn't in the air already anyways).. there are tons of dampers on the market but from the research I did before buying mine.. the Scotts was one of the best around with great adjustability and very easy to mount. The only drawback of the Scotts is their ease of mounting also makes em easy to steal for those of lesser morals... good luck in whatever you decide... but if you haven't experienced any "head shake" or a tankslapper then you might want to save the money for something else...

question

Originally posted by JC
    Yep! The TLS was very prone to tank slappers, but lots of people say that it was also due to the fact that at that time most sportbikes couldn't lift the front wheel coming out of a corner quite as easy as the TL, so it was especially easy for a rider to get into some trouble.

Wrong! Your damper makes you work harder than you need to! I never realized how stiff the stock damper was until I got the Scotts. I thought my bike felt heavy with the stock damper, and now it feels like a completely different bike. I don't think the TLR had the same affinity for the tankslapper that the TLS did, mainly because of the different weight distribution (heavier in the front, less apt to get the front wheel in the air in a corner). I wouldn't recommend taking a damper off of a bike that came equipped with one...but I would recommend upgrading to a better one. It makes more of a difference than you would believe, especially when we're talking about the TL damper (stiff baby stiff!).

Steering dampers...good, and bad...depending on the one you have.
    I meant the oil in the damper, doesn't do shit...It's not working as it should, or supposed to...

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

question

It's fish oil from Greenland.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

question

If its NOT Scottish its CRRRRAAAAP!!!!

question

so you're crap, huh?

(speaking as one who actually has a few drops of sco'ish blood)

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

I Dance With Will

question

if you say i can't push the bike to the limit then i'm ok w/ that. not to show off or anything, but i did a 125mph(probably lower due to tach error) once already from last ride and will do it again at the right condition, at track maybe.

just so everyone knows where im comming from, im 31yrs old i've done all kinds of stupid shit in the past, but in a car, got my license suspended couple times which i think i've learn a thing or two from. my driving record is now step 11. i don't think i want to go throu that again. i think twice before i do anything now, but still risk it sometimes. i might be in the category of "some people never learn". hopefully not though. i feel that my driving habit has changed a lot.

i understand what you're all saying and don't worry i'll take it easy. hopefully i got lucky and won't become another statistics.

"fuckit!"

question

It may be a good idea to install a damper if you jack up your rear ride height. It quickens your front steering and under hard acceleration can cause a slapper when the weight bias returns to the front wheel. Rough roads play a part, but abrupt weight transfers are a bigger culprit.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Lifer

question

Originally posted by JC
    Sorry I take 'pushing limits' as corners, and fun stuff like that. You do all the straight runs you want...I'm cool with that (but be careful! haha). Going fast in a straight line only requires that the rider have enough skill to twist the right grip of the handlbar.

I've only had the TLS up to 155, but it was on the Kanc.
    Umm... wow. :o That's impressive. Is there a sizable straight on the Kanc or was that at the end of a sweeper or something?

Ben

question

Originally posted by JC
    Sorry I take 'pushing limits' as corners, and fun stuff like that. You do all the straight runs you want...I'm cool with that (but be careful! haha). Going fast in a straight line only requires that the rider have enough skill to twist the right grip of the handlbar.

I've only had the TLS up to 155, but it was on the Kanc.
    Yeah and how fast were you going on rt 93 one time?
    Hmmmmm.....LOL....

question

well, this one time, at band camp...

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

question

Taylor, what's doin' man? It's Ryan. Good to see you up and about on the PC. How's the healing going?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

question

Originally posted by JC
    I don't know what you're talking about! I really don't think I saw faster (indicated, obviously) than 155 that day either. Why is it that probably 75% of the times I've gone over 120 on the TL, you were involved?

Geeez....now I got you and Kham accusing me of such antics....
    Me going over 120 is down right ludicrous....and as I recall, when I first met you a couple years back, who was following who at triple digits on a nice back road!

I guess Rye is in Big trouble, if he rides with me next year for sure....

Now I have been pigeon holed as the triple digit man...
    I'm really not like that!

question

Originally posted by JC
    Georgetown, Rt. 133. DAY-UM!

I'll deny that till my death! LOL!

Ve Have Vays of Making you talk!

Considering, I'm quite comfortable at those speeds, and if anyone doesn't like it...Tuff cranberries!

And to answer Kham about engine size, I used to get into more trouble with my RZ350, than I do now....

That bike was a big trouble maker!

I Dance With Will

question

Originally posted by TLRMan
    Ve Have Vays of Making you talk!

Considering, I'm quite comfortable at those speeds, and if anyone doesn't like it...Tuff cranberries!

And to answer Kham about engine size, I used to get into more trouble with my RZ350, than I do now....

That bike was a big trouble maker!
    i know who doesn't like it. the guy in the blue suit call LEO? is this term only known among bikers? i've never heard this before.

"fuckit!"

question

Originally posted by Kham
    i know who doesn't like it. the guy in the blue suit call LEO? is this term only known among bikers? i've never heard this before.

Law Enforcement Official....LEO

I Dance With Will

question

doh! you make me feel very dumb.

"fuckit!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12