Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for B3rt, Fireball, anyone?

I noticed on my CBR600RR that when I only have 1 hand on the bars or take my hands off the bars completely around about 50 mph that the bars are shaking or kind of weaving back and forth. Is this normal for the 600RR or should I be concerned??

If you guys with RRs would check it out when you ride next and let me know I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks,

-Feirax

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Called the dealership I bought the bike from and they told me that it is normal for ALL bikes to do this between 45-60mph and told me to ride with my hands on the bars. I never noticed this on my moto guzzi of my suzuki but I won't say its not possible that it wasn't there. Thoughts?

-Feirax

Concerned??? wtf the shake is a precursor to what is called the Hospital Hop, ever have your wheels high speed balanced? All bikes DO NOT shake, shimmy, wobble. Dealer is fucked in the head. Mine runs fine up till bout 175

oh yeah I gots a Ducati, but all the hondas i ever had never wobbled. A couple Kawis, H3, Z 1 wobbled like crazy at high speed, try steering damper?

I wouldn't think you should be experiencing this... under normal driving conditions at 50... I travel on my VFR with one hand sometimes with any movement...

take it to another dealer IMO..

Mike

Lifer

Yah... it definitely shouldn't be wobbling...

Could be the steering head bearings are not adjusted correctly...

Have you had the 600 mile service done yet? The steering head is supposed to be checked/adjusted at that service.

Ben

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Wobble = Bad !

By no means should the front wobble at those low speeds.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Everybody to the limit!

Re: Question for B3rt, Fireball, anyone?

Originally posted by Feirax
    I noticed on my CBR600RR that when I only have 1 hand on the bars or take my hands off the bars completely around about 50 mph that the bars are shaking or kind of weaving back and forth. Is this normal for the 600RR or should I be concerned??

If you guys with RRs would check it out when you ride next and let me know I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks,

-Feirax
    I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but...you broke it, dude. Shot to hell. Too many wheelies, maybe. It's not even worth parting out anymore. You're gonna have to *pay* somebody to haul that thing away.

But, uhh, let me know if you need a hand hauling it to the dump. I know a guy, he's got a truck, since you're an NESR member I can get him to give ya a good deal.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Thread bastardation begin!

Hehe damn I feel like I opened a can of worms on myself.. But I'm glad I'm learning about this now before I learn from Mr. Tankslapper.

Mystery - Right hand or left the bike will wobble, no hands or light grip.. the bike wobbles.. anytime I'm not leaning on the bars or providing input to them in some way - wobble. (at least from 40-60mph)

I've been searching for things that can cause the wobble so far my list:
    steering head bearings,
    front tire shape/balance/inflation pressure,
    front rim untrue,
    wheel alignment,
    forks untrue or adjusted to wrong height

I haven't even had the wheels front or back off the ground yet..

I did the 600 mile service half assed I guess because I did everything but the steering head bearing check.. d'oh!

I'm learning as I go here... I don't want to get f'd and have no bike for the rest of the riding season and I don't want to have to ride a bike that will put myself or a passenger at risk. Under most circumstances it will be safe?? no?

How much of the stuff I listed can the dealer be expected to check? If anything?? Everything?? Hmmm

Thanks for the great feedback on the threads..

-Feirax

steering dampner ? , what ever the hell that thing is , lol , I dunno what it does , but it sounds like a educated guess

steering damper's reduce/stop head shake, if its nice tomorrow I let you look at mine at Heritage !! Bettencourts, has a super high speed wheel balancer, also they have competent wrenches. sounds like minor shit, tire,bearings, but should be corrected, before it gets worse.

998 Duc
    CT-70
    CR-80
    Blaster
    74 750K Honda
    54 Dodge M-37

Warped rotor. Ever take off or wheel bike with a disk lock attached? Does it progressively get worse as you go faster. Quick check.....take 'em off and lay on flat surface.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Dude after careful thought and consideration, I believe your bike is FUCKED. Sell it to me for $100 usd and forget it

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by ducatiboy
    Dude after careful thought and consideration, I believe your bike is FUCKED. Sell it to me for $100 usd and forget it
    That's my joke! You stole my thread bastardization! I'm suing!

Banned

Steering head bearings.

D

Hey Rye.. when you said that something just clicked.. I think my rotor could possible be warped. Every revolution of the front wheel I hear a shhh sound like the pad rubbing the disc in a certain area. Coincidence?? Its been like that since it was brand new so I figured the pads/discs were tight and it was dragging a bit.. but with 1800 miles on the bike... Could it really be causing wobble even it it was in fact warped? My wife even asked me why it was making that noise yesterday.. and I completely dismissed it. Hehe

And no I don't use a disc lock.

Anyway.. first thing I'm gonna have the dude check is the bearings since that's the most common then I'll go through my list..

Man I sure am learning alot from you bastards.. Hehe

-Feirax

Ok, Wobble can't be fixed... first $100 takes it...

SOLD

J/K

Banned

Chances are if it makes a "shhh" sound when walking it around you just have an area on the rotors where the pads were touching when the bike was stored, maybe at the dealer or at your home. It should wear away pretty quickly by itself or you can get it off with emery cloth or fine sandpaper. Unless you have taken the bike to the track and had the brakes get really really hot for an extended period of time I doubt that the rotors are warped.

A warped rotor will give a very distinct pulsing at the brake lever when you brake, from any speed.

Guaranteed, shaking from the front end at speed is:

1. Tire balancing
    2. Steering head bearing adjustment.

Degs

Ok, Thanks for the info Degs.. I haven't taken it to the track and I haven't been abusive enough to the brakes to get them really heated. I just would have expected them to wear in a bit in the 1800 miles I put on it to smooth it and quiet it down.

Thanks..

-Feirax

Just got back from the dealer.. a nice 50+ mile cruise each way. Normally they're very nice to me. Either they hadn't had their coffee yet or they thought I was just wasting their time. They checked my tire pressure and asked me if I tried varying a few lbs. in each direction. I said no.. I run OEM recommended pressure. They tugged on the bars trying to move them straight forward and back to check for play. Then the mechanic took it around the block and came back and said I'm all set. So I ask I'm all set?? and he tells me yeap, nothing out of the ordinary.. and to keep my hands on the bars.. I tried to mention that I've talked to other people about it and they don't seem to think its normal and I definately don't think its normal and the dude didn't seem to appreciate it. So he tells me taking weight off the front wheel by sitting up is what's causing it and to just keep my hands on the bars. Ok, no use arguing with him since he's had his mind made up about ALL bikes already.

Since the wobble is only apparent between like 45-60 or 50-60 around those speeds and only happens when I'm putting little to no pressure on the bars it doesn't feel like much of a risk to ride.. I'm going to try to find the service manual and figure out how to torque the steering head myself since they wouldn't do it for me.

Thx for the advice guys,

-Feirax

Banned

Support the bike so that the front wheel is in the air (not on a standard front stand under the lower triple as that will affect the adjustment) a lift under the engine would be ideal.

Hold the bars in the center of their movement and let them drop to either side. They should drop to their lock point on either side without bouncing when they hit the lock point, and they should drop without any nothiness. Adjust the steering head locknut and adjusting nut in 1/8 of a turn increments. This is a requirement of dealer setup from Honda, but dealers never do it.

Degs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast