Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question about bicycle crash... [legalities, blame, etc..]

Lifer

I wanted to get some perspective from other motorcyclists.

No, I didn't crash. One of my friends did. He's fine. A little bit of road rash.

Ok, this guy has had a motorcycle in the past. I know he's got thousands of miles of bicycle seat time. However he's out of shape and doesn't seem to take things as seriously as he should.

He was going 25-30mph downhill on a straight road and a truck was trying to enter from the right. Weather was clear and sunny, road was dry. The truck started to creep out into the road with it's left turn signal on.

He takes the center of the lane so the driver will see him. Driver keeps coming out. Bicyclists panic brakes, locks up the rear, and crashes.

Now my friend called the cops. He REALLY thinks it's 100% the truck drivers fault.

I didn't really say it to him but I think he's got a decent amount of blame.

If the brakes on a road racing bicycle are maintained correctly and are not faded from an extreme mountain descent, you can stop the bicycle in like 20ft from 30mph. Considering he saw the truck like 100 yards ahead of time and he locked up the rear I think he's partly to blame. He didn't start slowing down when he saw the truck, he continued pedaling.

Bicyclists seem to believe it is 100% the cagers fault even more than motorcyclists.

Just curious what you guys think. If he had stayed upright under maximum braking and hit the side of the truck I'd have a different opinion. It just sounds like he saw the truck so far in advance that he absolutely would have stopped in time if he actually got on the brakes correctly.

He also had free space between the truck and the centerline and didn't take it.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A FRIEND OF MINE ONCE HIT A KID ON A BIKE, OR THE KID HIT HIM, WE WERE TOLD THAT IF THE BICYCLE HITS BEFORE THE CENTER OF THE FRONT WHEELWELL THAT IT IS THE CARS FAULT, IF IT WAS AFTER THAT POINT IT WAS THE CYCLES FAULT. I'M NOT SURE IF I FEEL THIS WAY, I BELIEVE THAT IF YOUR ON A BIKE OR IN A CAR OF ANYSORT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY, SOMETIMES ACCIDENTS HAPPEN BUT THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ACCIDENTS.imho.:?: :?: :!: :!: :roll:

WE WERE TOLD THAT IF THE BICYCLE HITS BEFORE THE CENTER OF THE FRONT WHEELWELL THAT IT IS THE CARS FAULT, IF IT WAS AFTER THAT POINT IT WAS THE CYCLES FAULT.

thats pretty much the rule for a car hitting a car too,

Bicyclist piss me off sometimes, they use the road as if they are considered a motor vehicle (as they should) then at the same time use the road as if they were a pedestrian that has right of way, many times in city area bicyclist will lane split (which I don't mind) and then turn and cut across a crosswalk like a pedestrian. I think they should be required to carry the same insurance and or "financial responsibility" as it is termed in NH

At minimum, for your buddy to claim it was the cages fault, he woulda had to have hit the cage, where there was no contact, thers no way that it could be the cagers fault.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

With 20 years of bicycle racing (started road racing when i was about 13 and just quit about 2 years ago), I can say i agree with the fact that most cyclists have no fucking idea what they are doing. I was hit by a propane truck three years ago and the injuries forced me to give up racing. It was a road rage incedent, the driver was pissed that i was able to pass him on the right at a previous stop light (while he was stopped) so when he got next to me further up the road, he put his front wheel into me and took me out. I actually rolled under the truck and managed to miss the wheels as he was skidding.

Anyway, there is no way that a bicycle can stop from 30mph, in 20 feet, my Mille stops quicker than my Derosa from the same speed on a downhill, and you have to throw your weight back to avoid going over the bars because of the short wheelbase and high center of gravity, and hammer both brakes. Your friend can't be very skilled if he layed the bike down while trying to stop either... he obviously didn't use his front brake properly, and just locked up the rear.

RandyO, I don't agree with you on the insurance thing... bicycles don't cause property damage like motorvehicles, but i do agree that they (we) should follow the same rules, or stay the fuck off the roads....or stick to mt biking...

01 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille

Good fuckin' points Randy!!! That shit pisses me off too!!! On the one hand, they'll piss & moan about having the same motorvehicle rights as you in your cage/on your m/c. Then on the other hand, they'll bitch when they almost get run over going through a red (STOP) traffic light. I've fuckin' had with that mentallity...

And you're honkin' right about them being required to carry some sorta insurance. But I don't agree with them being as financially responsible as motorists. But if they're able to operate on public roadways as motor vehicles, then they too are subject to causing property and bodily injuries to others, or themselves, which inadvertantly drives up our health insurance costs or our (motorists) vehicle insurance costs...

And they should face STIFF penalties for trying to hybrid themselves as pedestrians when the moments suit them...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?