Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Question on leather care

Question on leather care

Been lookin for some leathers in my price range for a while, but I was stuck on Vansons ever since I checked out my buddies set, but the price was definitely an issue. So I scoured ebay for a while, and <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7915065988">voila</a>, I found a set for less than half what it would cost to buy new. They look to be in good condition too. For $500 I don't think I can go wrong though...

In any case, any thoughts on what I should do to protect these leathers (waterproofing, leather treatment, etc)

I have used Coach leather care products on my leathers in the past with some success.

Cheers,
    Chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by hohum; 08-16-04 at 01:12 PM.
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Question on leather care

Just don't drag them on the ground and you'll be OK! Leather care products will help maintain your suit, but you can also take it right to Vanson for a cleaning and re-dye. I don't think it's expensive, but the suit comes out looking like new!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Question on leather care

NIK WAX is great for water proofing. I treated my Joe Rocket speed master and *knock on wood* so far so good.

Tooks
    02 Honda Firebade blk/slv
    Carpe Diem!

Question on leather care

Yeah, the suit I got looks pretty much brand new, so it won't likely need redying anytime soon (or so i hope), but as far as waterproofing goes, i have always used the old school mink oil paste or the like, but man does that stuff stink to high heaven...

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Question on leather care

For discriminating rided who wants to be cool and protected, while not looking like a clown.

Question on leather care

Suprisingly enough, thats yet another reason why I like the Vanson basic black look. None of this silly tribal graphics or crap like that... It all just looks so racer-wannabe-fruity if you ask me.

Seems like so few leather manufacturers even put out a basic black, or non flaming color scheme these days. I could really care less about that stuff most of the time, and I was '' close to buying myself a 2 peice dainese setup, until I tried one on and realized I looked like a trained circus chimp in em...

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Question on leather care

Lexol...

...is what I use. got some purdy high marks in an MCN shootout a coupla months back, too.

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Question on leather care

Vanson sells some of their own leather care stuff. I use it. Seems to work. I get about 4 seasons of hard use out of a vanson suit. After that the salt from my sweat just dries it to death. Crashing doesn't help either.

Cared for properly, it should last nearly forever if you are just doing trackdays and such.

basic black is hot on a summer day, but it looks good the longest as the inevitable tar/rubber stains from sliding down the track don't show on black!

Paul_E_D

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Question on leather care

Walter Dyer in Framingham has some stuff that has worked great for me.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Question on leather care

Here ya ago:

leather care product comparison test

Just scroll down to the 4 pages (in PDF format). It's definitely a good read.

EDIT: the Nikwax would have scored well if it didn't have a pH of 4.64. That is very acidic and can't be good for the lifespan of the leathers it is applied to.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Question on leather care

WOW, awesome review... Good stuff.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Cheers,
    Chris