Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Polishing?

Polishing?

Is there anywhere around here that polishes rims? Would this be cheaper than buying a pair of already polished rims? Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Polishing?

Kickstands and Wheelies in Maine may. Chris is a real good dude. Though he may want to just do a swap with what he has in stock.

Of course, his number is in my rolodex at work and not here at home!

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Polishing?

I'll be the first to tell ya... DONT DO IT !!!

Pain in the ars to keep clean, & adds wieght.

Although I do have to say it does look nice, but what advantages besides that does it give the bike?? None.

To help out; There is a place in Framingham that send the rims out for around $700, for an exchange. "XP" Extreme Performance. I have the card at home I'll check it out and post the web site when I get out of work..

Your best bet is to keep your eye on E-Bay for deals, most companiews drop their prices over winter due to lack of business. I have heard people getting deals as good as getting your rims chromed for about $400 ! Now thats a deal.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Polishing?

he said polish, not chrome.... so he'll actually take the tiniest amount of weight off.

but i second the vote for dont do it. my kawi came with polished rims and i hate em. gotta clean em all the time or they look like shit and it stands out with the polished backdrop.

paint em black if they arent already.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Polishing?

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Polishing is using the same rim and actually taking a small amount of weight off. I know chrome rims weigh a ton, so I wouldn't buy them. I'm sure I wouldn't mind cleaning them everyday, they make almost any bike look two times better, in my opinion. I also like silver or grey or black with polished lips. I would polish my swingarm and frame, but that requires taking stuff off and it is really expensive, right?

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Polishing?

Leave the wheels black (you got a 02 R6 correct?) and powdercoat or paint the frame and swingarm black
    If you're stuck on the polishing thing, just do it yourself over the winter. Get some wet/dry sand paper starting at 400 grit and work your way up to 1500 grit, some mothers polish and you're good to go. You'd be lucky if it cost you $15 total for both wheels
    Having your stock wheels Chromed will not add all that much weight BTW, the plating is paper thin and probably doesn't even equal the amount of wheel weights used to balance the rim

Yamaha

Polishing?

I polish my rear wheel and swingarm by letting chain wax and dirt build up on it until it forms a protective layer that keeps the shine from getting dirty.

I learned it from Randy

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Polishing?

i bought a buffing wheel/machine and polishing compounds and all the wheels and all the other shit to do it yourself for my fifties when i started building em. i did one triple tree.

you are welcome to come play or even borrow the stuff... for free!

you will change your mind about polishing in time.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Polishing?

Originally posted by R7
    Leave the wheels black (you got a 02 R6 correct?) and powdercoat or paint the frame and swingarm black
    If you're stuck on the polishing thing, just do it yourself over the winter. Get some wet/dry sand paper starting at 400 grit and work your way up to 1500 grit, some mothers polish and you're good to go. You'd be lucky if it cost you $15 total for both wheels
    Having your stock wheels Chromed will not add all that much weight BTW, the plating is paper thin and probably doesn't even equal the amount of wheel weights used to balance the rim
    an even easier way to do the lips of rims... while on the bike... is aircraft remover from pep boys. tape off the parts you dont want done, put the bike on a stand, spray it on, wipe it off.
    the wheels usually start pretty smooth, then just the real fine grit sand paper will clean it up nicely... if its on teh bike, its easy to do the rear wheel... put it in gear and let it roll.. hold the paper in place.
    front might take longer... drills can be incorporated to speed things up.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

Polishing?

Don't polish it'll look good for a day and then look like tarnished crap. Chrome it if you want the bling, it doesn't add much weight, a couple pounds per wheel tops and If you can notice a difference in the preformance of the bike, well you're a better rider than anyone I know. Kickstand's and wheelies is the best in the business, they'll swap the rims out, so there'll be no waiting for them to get sent out and come back. They have tons in stock and have been in the business forever.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Just Registered

Polishing?

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    .. if its on teh bike, its easy to do the rear wheel... put it in gear and let it roll.. hold the paper in place.
    just call the ER first to let them know you'll be down

www.kickstandwheelies.com/main.html

You can give it a shot if you want but this is definetely something you want to take your time with. If you get impatient easily, send em out

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Polishing?

First of all, people in this forum are much nicer and quicker with their responses than in other forums, its awesome. And second, I'm sure this will sound dumb, but if you sand off the paint on the rim there is chrome underneath? There is no way it can be as easy as sanding it for a while and you are all set. I have found a good site in Myrtle Beach, pretty good prices. They have chrome wheels and polished wheels. The Kickstand and Wheelies place sounds good, but isn't it a little expensive?

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Polishing?

Everyone do me a favor and go to the link above to Kickstands and Wheelies and look at the 4 chrome wheel models and tell me which one you think would look best. Thanks.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Lifer

Polishing?

you get what you pay for. The majority of shops in NE get their chromework done at K&W.

There is not chrome under the paint (powdercoat), it's raw metal. Sanding the wheel is the first step in polishing it (though it works much better using aircraft stripper to take the coating off). It's also the first step in chroming. You should read up a bit so you can know what you're looking at before you pull out you're wallet. Just do a search on google.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Polishing?

Yeah, that was me not taking time to think. I know the answers to my own questions, I apologize for wasting a post. But I am still going to search for the whole process, it would obviously save me a lot of money, right, and does it give you almost the same results?

Hey hessogood, how do you wheelie with your feet spread? Do you sit on the gas tank and hold onto the handle bars? That seems difficult holding yourself up and trying to maintain even throttle at the same time. Thanks.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Just Registered

Polishing?

Originally posted by hessogood There is not chrome under the paint (powdercoat), it's raw metal.
    ..and in the case of aluminum cast wheels its typically a greyish looking rough surfaced Al wheel.

In regards to the shine or chrome you speak of being under the 'paint'...If you were to take the powdercoating off a machined wheel (pvm, marchenisi make some like thi$) the surface would be shinier because it was cut/machined to that point but would still have toolmarks on it . Though polishing this surface would be much easier because the surface is already nearly perfect, just needs some shine.

A good learning experience if your bike is off the road for the winter though

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Posting Freak

Polishing?

I am new to this board, but I know a few guys out there form back in the days.I am opening a shop soon in the 128 belt.chroming , polishing custom work and all that.I am currently working form home but looking to move up to the bigtyme.and my prices and work will do all the talking.I did a few bikes this summer.pic will follow soon.

Polishing?

All right, hey, I am really interested, if you aren't fucking with me, than we can do business. I wouldn't mind giving you a try since we are both new at it, and if you can give me a deal, than I am definitely up for it. Thanks for the information. I live right near Bedford as well, so I can even stop by and we can talk about it. Later.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Polishing?

I apologize for the swearing and aggressiveness, but I have spent weeks trying to find a nice bike and I have come across an uncountable number of scams and it is really annoying and kind of got me on edge when it comes to other people selling something. But I'm sure I can trust you because you are in MA, so I can actually see what you do, and you are in these forums. So I am sorry, and maybe we can discuss some work I need done.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Posting Freak

Polishing?

No problem....check your PM..give me a call.
    Originally posted by Big SIssy
    I apologize for the swearing and aggressiveness, but I have spent weeks trying to find a nice bike and I have come across an uncountable number of scams and it is really annoying and kind of got me on edge when it comes to other people selling something. But I'm sure I can trust you because you are in MA, so I can actually see what you do, and you are in these forums. So I am sorry, and maybe we can discuss some work I need done.