Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Questionable shop work

Questionable shop work

Hey guys, I wanted to run something by you for opinions before taking action. About a year and a half ago I took my bike (03 636) in to a local shop to get a set of sprockets and a chain put on as well as get a new rear tire mounted. Stock gearing is 15/40, I took in a 14/39 pair. Logically, this -1/-1 combo should be roughly equivalent to a +0/+1.5 or +0/+2 setup (the logic being that one tooth down in the front is equivalent to 2 or 3 up in the rear).

For the first time today, I went out with a big group, we all gassed up at the same time, all reset our trip odometers. After a 20 mile ride back, we all compared numbers. Everyone was at 20.7 give or take a tenth, I was at 20.1! (under, not over as expected!)

I went and checked, and sure enough the front sprocket is still the old 15 tooth. Now I know the shop might have made an honest mistake and I realize it took me a long time to notice, but I still feel like they owe me something (at least the front sprocket that I paid for that's sitting at their shop).

What would you do in this situation?

Also, despite regularly cleaning and lubing my chain, it has already developed a kink at the master link after just about 5k miles. I heard that if it happens at the master it is due to being improperly crimped (which would also be something they did)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Questionable shop work

So you want to walk into a shop almost a year after they worked on your bike and demand compensation on a $20 sprocket?

That's almost as good as walking into a shop and asking to borrow their tools.

Place a call and see what they say, but I'd chalk this up as "there's plenty of help on NESR if you just ask".

I think this answers it right off the bat : About a year and a half ago I took my bike.....

Depending on the wear of the front sprocket, it could also have worn the chain if they did indeed leave the old sprocket on. But, how do you know that 15 tooth sprocket is the original? It might have been a brand new OEM sprocket, that would cost the same as the 14 tooth. Now if you had them put on after market sprockets, that's a different story. OEM front sprockets can be 2 or so times more than some of the after markets. Like on my bike, front sprocket = $44, vortex = $20.

It would suck if you have to do all new chain and sprockets. But, if you get another master link...you could have just that replaced. If it rides nice and you like the current configuration, just replace the master. If you have the funds, and want a change in gearing, order a new chain kit from www.motomummy.com

I'd suggest -1 front and leave the rear stock. Though -1/+1 will make ya grin to.

Considering it happened so long ago I dont think there is much you can do. It does suck what happened but I would say just dont give them your business anymore.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

shame on you for not checking when you picked up you bike A YEAR AND A HALF ago...

Maybe they messed up, maybe there is a legitimate answer who knows... Chock it up to
    a life lesson and move on.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I forgot to ask...What shop?

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    OEM front sprockets can be 2 or so times more than some of the after markets. Like on my bike, front sprocket = $44, vortex = $20.
    Believe it or not, it was cheaper to go through Yamaha for the front sprocket on my FZ1. Probably an extremely rare case but true, nonetheless.

i take it you didn't ask for your stock parts back? nonetheless, i'd bring it to the service department's attention the next time you're in there...you never know, with a little stink you might get something out of it. couldn't hurt.

similar: i had Phibbs in Albany do some insurance work on my Ducati which included a new exhaust system (super rad insurance agent) i had to ASK for my stock pipes before i left...

Last edited by TimmyB; 04-09-09 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks for the input guys. I do realize it is ridiculous not to have found out for so long, but at the time I had no reason to go pull off the front sprocket cover to check immediately after getting it back from the shop. I saw shiny new Vortex rear, my nice gold RK chain, and a beautiful new Diablo on the rear and never thought "hey, I wonder if the front was actually replaced.."

As to whether or not it was actually a 14, I actually counted the teeth on both front and rear for the fun of it. At the time, it was my first seriously nice sportbike and I really enjoyed the novelty of getting new parts, changing ratios, etc.

I guess I'll just suck it up and go get a new master link to try to salvage the chain..

And I wasn't going to name names, but this shop already seems to be well known on here: it was Parkway Cycles (sister shop to GBM I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    i take it you didn't ask for your stock parts back? nonetheless, i'd bring it to the service department's attention the next time you're in there...you never know, with a little stink you might get something out of it. couldn't hurt.

similar: i had Phibbs in Albany do some insurance work on my Ducati which included a new exhaust system (super rad insurance agent) i had to ASK for my stock pipes before i left...
    Never even thought to ask for the old parts back. The previous owner so thoroughly trashed the chain/sprocket/rear tire that were there that I just thought of them as garbage; I never realized that was a good way to check to see what was actually done.... thanks for the tip

I may go by and see what a little talking can do. Maybe I can get them to put on a new master link or something small like that.

Silly NOOB BIKES are for men not kids.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Silly NOOB BIKES are for men not kids.

KB
    Oh damn, why didn't anyone tell me that earlier...

I ordered gloves at a certain large shop. The pair was $41 dollars and paid at the time of order. They called me and said they were back ordered.. He gave me the option of coming in and picking up a different pair. I found a pair I thought were okay for me but they had no price tag so I asked how much. He thinks a little and looks at what I paid for the glove I ordered and says $50 but just take them for what you already paid. I say thanks and leave.

I look up the price online at the manufactures website and the retail price for the pair is $29. The pair of glove I bought are very common. The shop owner was well aware of all the correct prices. I called up the shop and ask how much they are... Yes.. $29 dollars.. Same guy named the price right off the top of his head.... I take it as a lesson and just will never shop there again.. I blame myself for not doing the research before and trusting the guy... All over twelve dollars.. It not worth the fight to me and there are plenty of other shops out there.

Last edited by cdseven95; 04-09-09 at 09:48 PM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Since no one else asked... How did you fail to notice that the new gearing did exactly opposite of what you were hoping for? You were obviously aiming for a 4.5% increase in rear wheel torque and instead got a 7% decrease. That's a huge difference.

Just ride around in 5th gear and your chain will last longer

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

BTW, did they install a new lock washer on your sprocket?

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    I ordered gloves at a certain large shop. The pair was $41 dollars and paid at the time of order. They called me and said they were back ordered.. He gave me the option of coming in and picking up a different pair. I found a pair I thought were okay for me but they had no price tag so I asked how much. He thinks a little and looks at what I paid for the glove I ordered and says $50 but just take them for what you already paid. I say thanks and leave.

I look up the price online at the manufactures website and the retail price for the pair is $29. The pair of glove I bought are very common. The shop owner was well aware of all the correct prices. I called up the shop and ask how much they are... Yes.. $29 dollars.. Same guy named the price right off the top of his head.... I take it as a lesson and just will never shop there again.. I blame myself for not doing the research before and trusting the guy... All over twelve dollars.. It not worth the fight to me and there are plenty of other shops out there.

This sounds a lot like a particular shop in Warwick.........

I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Honda Suzuki World.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Since no one else asked... How did you fail to notice that the new gearing did exactly opposite of what you were hoping for? You were obviously aiming for a 4.5% increase in rear wheel torque and instead got a 7% decrease. That's a huge difference.
    How would one tooth down in the back equate to a 7% decrease? It seems like it would be more like 2.5% (1/40).

Regardless, I had only had the bike for a couple weeks and was still getting used to it. It felt really fast to me either way, and I was under the impression that changing a tooth or two didn't have that huge of an effect.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rootkit View Post
    How would one tooth down in the back equate to a 7% decrease? It seems like it would be more like 2.5% (1/40).

Regardless, I had only had the bike for a couple weeks and was still getting used to it. It felt really fast to me either way, and I was under the impression that changing a tooth or two didn't have that huge of an effect.
    My bad math and reading comprehension... I went with 14/15 instead of 39/40. Not noticing the difference makes a lot more sense to me now.

Let us know what the shop says once you mention it to them...

'...hey, by the way - I was in about a year ago for sprockets & chains, among other things. I ordered a 14T front and recently realized it's a 15T...'

BTW-what's it say on your copy of the bill/work order?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Let us know what the shop says once you mention it to them...

'...hey, by the way - I was in about a year ago for sprockets & chains, among other things. I ordered a 14T front and recently realized it's a 15T...'

BTW-what's it say on your copy of the bill/work order?

The work order is very important here. The shop should have service records on file. I would go in talk to whom ever is in charge and explain your scenario.
    I think it's way too late to get any compensation but I would approach them as "hey I thought you would like to know that this happened last time my bike was here." Alot could have happened in a year and a half. The tech could have been fired or maybe he's on thin ice. You know what I'm sayin?

Then see if they will help you out in any way. Just remember you catch more bee's with honey and the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Rob Ruggiero
    lrrs ex#828 (retired)
    www.speeddemoncycles.net

i gotta get some posts so i can put some for sale stuff up, so it's best to learn and do your own work, it's not a cost thing, there's just nobody to blame