Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Questions about buying race bikes

Questions about buying race bikes

So.. I keep finding race bikes for sale for very very cheap here... which I find strange because most have all the whizz-bang parts everyone drools over already installed.

So I was thinking when I decide to upgrade to a newer-ish bike I am considering buying one and making it street legal again. Obviously to appease the racing gods, I would not do the bike a disservice and not take her to the track every once in awhile (hopefully more if funds allow) to let her stratch her legs.

My question is... do race bikes come with titles and all that..? I see them sometimes on craigslist but mostly with no titles.. why is that..?

What about all the signal lights..? I know race bikes are stripped of that stuff and its no problem re-attaching them but what about the hand controls that activates them.. Are they still attached or are those dis-assembled and taken off?

Basically... how hard is it to make it street legal again...? maybe taking into account no title..?

Considering I paid $2500 for my 93 CBR and there is a really nice, 03 CBR, with all the goodies already on there for $2700... its very tempting to buy a used race bike when the time comes.

Good idea..? Bad idea..?

I'm kinda new at this hobby and would greatly appreciate more experienced and wiser peoples input.

Best,

Kaz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Questions about buying race bikes

Also u can check shark cycles out of CT from time to time they have clean titled slighly rashed bikes for Cheap....

and for a race bike it all depends on how much was converted for race and then work back to stock may be not worth it...

and mind u there is always Deals on craigs U just gotta get on it ASAP.....

Also bear in mind most race bikes were thrashed within an inch of their lives. And 99.8% were crashed at least once.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Really depends on the person you're getting it from.

Some have titles, many are repo's, salvages, crashed bikes that were converted to track, etc...

The person may have all the parts to make it streetable again, you'll probably end up scouring ebay for stuff you need.

Don't forget these have been RACED... they have not had an easy life. They spend all their time at full throttle and they have all been crashed.

It really all comes down to who the racer is, how they maintained the bike, etc...

For example... my bike has a clean and clear title... and nothing was cut/chopped off... but all the fairings, lights, controls, signals, etc. were all sold. You'd have to find them all.

Yes they have go fast bits, but they are cheap because they also have been beaten on hard and they also are selling to a niche market - racers.

Last edited by CEO; 06-25-09 at 08:44 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Its one of those things thats good in theory but not in practice, unfortunately. Many race bikes have a salvage title, or no title at all.... which is a tough place to start from. While they may have all the go fast bits, they've also like you said been stripped of all street gear. Basically to get it back to normal form you'll have to replace the bodywork, headlights, signals, a bunch of brackets, etc. Most race bikes have been stripped of the wiring for those items as well so you'll need to find a new harness and run all that wiring.

Essentially it would probably cost you another $2k, and for roughly $5k you can buy a decent 03 600rr for the street

or just run it with no lights/plate/reg/etc and hope for the best

Lifer

Some have titles, some have salavage titles, some have original sales slips which can be hard to register if the owners didn't fill them all out as they changed hands. Some bike remove some of the hand controls like horn/beams/signals, some bikes chop the extra lighting stuff out of the wiring harness. Lots of peopel sell the street plastics and lights and stuff to help cover the cost of the aftermarket racing stuff.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Also bear in mind most race bikes were thrashed within an inch of their lives. And 99.8% were crashed at least once.
    true and good points... so is it more about engine wear than anything that makes them cheaper..? I would imagine that redlining a bike very often as you do in racing would wear the engine down... am I on the right line of thinking...?

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by flyer_kaz View Post
    true and good points... so is it more about engine wear than anything that makes them cheaper..?
    The fact they've been beat to hell. The fact that things are scraped up, and broken, and probably not straight. Title issues are another factor.
    Lets put it this way, if I had a choice between buying a race bike to convert to street, and not riding, Id probably take up knitting.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Its one of those things thats good in theory but not in practice, unfortunately. Many race bikes have a salvage title, or no title at all.... which is a tough place to start from. While they may have all the go fast bits, they've also like you said been stripped of all street gear. Basically to get it back to normal form you'll have to replace the bodywork, headlights, signals, a bunch of brackets, etc. Most race bikes have been stripped of the wiring for those items as well so you'll need to find a new harness and run all that wiring.

Essentially it would probably cost you another $2k, and for roughly $5k you can buy a decent 03 600rr for the street

ahh.. ok... I didn't think they stripped all the wiring for that stuff as well... I just thought they just removed all the lights and what-not.. but what you say does make alot of sense.. whatever makes you lighter..

*sigh*... thanks for killing my daydream!

big jerks! lol...

or just run it with no lights/plate/reg/etc and hope for the best
    I like this idea much better.. what better way than for a poor boy to perfect his racing skills than getting alot of practice by eluding the cops everyday!

Kaz

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

You'd be better of buy a lightly damaged one and fixing it up....

$3,400 for this one and it most likely only needs some minor work to be done!

1st cheap 03 listed on craigslist boston...

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    You'd be better of buy a lightly damaged one and fixing it up....

$3,400 for this one and it most likely only needs some minor work to be done!

1st cheap 03 listed on craigslist boston...
    score!! nice deal too...

That would be sweet, but since I already have my bike I bought only two months ago.. no dice.. I was mainly asking for when I decide to upgrade in the future.

thanks for looking though!

Kaz

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I did it Once, I bought a race SV and Put it back on the street It was not a big deal but If you want a street bike Buy a streetbike. I had Rigged up The Lights and the Blinkers Had no Speedo guage or mirrors. and Got my inspection sticker in a Dark Alley. I would say just buy the bike you want a ride it.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike