Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Questions for the Ducati crew

Questions for the Ducati crew

Hoping those with Ducati experience will chime in -

I'm trying to modify my 02 Honda VFR800 to accept a Ducati-style single nut rear wheel. Others have done this before - basically the entire Ducati axle/eccentric/wheel replaces the Honda parts and is shimmed to align properly.

Bought what I thought were 848 components but needed a 55mm socket to break down the rear end - does that mean its really a 1098 rear end?

Also, I'd like to get things refreshed while its all apart -
    -Does anyone offer a rebuild service for the eccentric? Ducati wants you to buy a brand new one for $1600 and that's not going to happen
    -Can you recommend new cush drive bolts? Is stock best? Chain/sprocket recommendations?
    -Anything else I should be worried about?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Questions for the Ducati crew

As long as the hub is not damaged in any way your looking at just replacing the bearings if they are bad? I found a nice used unit on eBay for$ 100.00. I didn't know the hubs would fit a Honda arm? 520 chain will give you the most options..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks for checking in MUZ -

These are all eBay parts, the hub looks fine and axle spins OK. Just thought it would be worthwhile to replace the bearings while everything is apart. I guess Ducati believes they will last the life of the bike?

The Ducati hub needs a shim to fit in the Honda arm, then a spacer to center the wheel and a bracket for the Ducati caliper. It actually seems pretty simple

Cool. You should be able to use a stock Ducati sprocket carrier if it's just a,street bike . No need for a quick change unit. As far as what unit you have based on the nut size? Others will have to chime in. Or look it up on a online parts fiche.

55mm is a 1098/1198/1199/multistrada size. If it was 46mm it would have been an 848/hyper/monster ect

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

vfr800&1200 owner here, why would you want to get rid of the lug nuts? combined with the center stand this is the easiest bike ive ever owned to do tire swaps. No special tools required.

I thought the big swap for the 800 was getting the older prettier rear wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    55mm is a 1098/1198/1199/multistrada size. If it was 46mm it would have been an 848/hyper/monster ect
    Based on internet searching that's what I thought, good to get confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    vfr800&1200 owner here, why would you want to get rid of the lug nuts? combined with the center stand this is the easiest bike ive ever owned to do tire swaps. No special tools required.
    I thought the big swap for the 800 was getting the older prettier rear wheel?
    Just personal preference. I really wanted a Honda single-nut rear wheel but those parts can be hard to come by and the shims/adapters for the Ducati swap are available online

Here's a tip, if you do convert to the Ducati swing arm, carry that rear nut tool with you. If you get a flat on a ride, chances are that Joe's cycle in bumfuck New England does not have that size. Ask me how I know... I always carry mine.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Here's a tip, if you do convert to the Ducati swing arm, carry that rear nut tool with you. If you get a flat on a ride, chances are that Joe's cycle in bumfuck New England does not have that size. Ask me how I know... I always carry mine.
    Good point, not something you'd think of until it actually happened. Just to be clear the swingarm won't be swapped, only the parts having to do with the wheel

Compared to the Honda swingarm the Ducati unit is huge - much heavier and probably stiffer, hard to really know just by looking at it though

In terms of Cush drives, make sure your sprocket or carrier is milled so the drives can't back out. The JT QC carrier has this.

They can back out and mill out your hub adjustment. I ended up buying a complete swingarm for under $200 because buying just the hub was $200. Still have the swingarm if anyone needs one

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post
    In terms of Cush drives, make sure your sprocket or carrier is milled so the drives can't back out. The JT QC carrier has this.
    They can back out and mill out your hub adjustment. I ended up buying a complete swingarm for under $200 because buying just the hub was $200. Still have the swingarm if anyone needs one
    Thanks DG, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm hoping to learn.

New question - to remove the hub from the Ducati swingarm a very large snap-ring must come out. My snap-ring plier isn't big enough

Did you all bite the bullet and just a big expensive plier? HF doesn't seem to have a decent size unit available.

Short answer Yep. or you can start it with what you have and get a small screw driver under it and work it out that way.. the bitch is getting it back in! Believe I found the correct one at Sears...

Last edited by MUZ720; 02-16-18 at 09:54 AM.

I used a flat head, pliers, my foot, and a lot of cussing. Took about 20 minutes.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll try the driver/plier/cussing method but will be on the lookout for a large snap-ring plier

After an hour of cussing I broke down and went HF and purchased a set of pliers. The big one was perfect for the job, took 3 seconds. As always, the right tool makes things much easier

I knew you'd see the light

that's a lesson I relearn all the time. Maybe this time it will stick

Bringing this back up -

Maybe someone with an 848 swapped their rear hub and wheel to accept a 6" 1098 wheel. And has the 848 parts just sitting around. Want to sell them to me? lmk....

Swapping to 848 components would mean a 5.5" rear wheel, which is the stock size on the VFR.

Bump. its time to buy a rear wheel and there are a few likely candidates on ebay right now - is there a resource to determine which 17x5.5 wheels will fit the 848 axle/eccentric. S2R? S4R? Multistrada?

The Y-spoke 848 wheels are nice but the dual 5-spokes are very tasty