Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Questions About Squids and Squidly Activity

Re: Questions About Squids and Squidly Activity

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Physics arguments!!!!! Work is force expended over a distance. In your example, if we assume both bikes are otherwise the same then both engines perform the same amount of work. The shorter stroked engine would require more force on the piston compared to a long stroke engine in order to produce the same amount of work.
    This is true, which means the combustion of the AF mixture must create more force. It takes more air and thus more fuel to make a more violent/forceful combustion therefore reducing fuel economy. I don't think this has anything to do with engine longevity, but for a given gear ratio at a given RPM the larger displacement motor will generally be more efficient.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

i got a 1000 because i couldn't fit on a 600ss. I even had trouble shifting a stock GSXR 750 due to my inseam. buy the bike that fits and ride within your abilities. i did start on a ninja 250 though (also a tight fit)

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    That's a fallacy and a bunch of red herrings all in one. If all you are doing is cruising speed, you can maintain the same RPM with a small or a large displacement bike. If the both engines are spinning at the same speed, the engine with the longer stroke is performing more work than the engine with the shorter stroke technically. Most larger displacement bikes have longer strokes than smaller displacement bikes, meaning that a larger mass is being pushed/pulled at a longer distance in the larger displacement bike than the smaller displacement bike. In that scenario where both RPM's are equal while cruising, the longer stroke bike (liter bike) is performing more work.

However there is so much more to mechanical reliability than simply displacement.
    I think you are assuming that the gearing is the same on both the 6R and the 9R. It's not. The 9R has higher overall gearing and the engines makes fewer revolutions per mile for a given gear. The 9R also makes more low end torque and can be short-shifted without lugging, so it can also be run in higher gears at a given speed. There's a huge difference between the typical cruising RPM between the bikes.

This thread got far more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Holy shit I wish I caught this thread before the OP edited all the posts.

So yea the live and let live thing has been said, and I do agree with that. But the way I look at it is this... When it comes to owning something some people buy a massive house and are happy to live house broke for owning it. Other's that make the same money live in a trailer, and value spending their money elsewhere. /
    Show me one person who has significant disposable income who lives in a trailer park. Not sure that's anyone's first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I've had 2 1k bikes in the past several years. My first 1k was extremely easy to ride and very forgiving (although not an SS). My current 1k bike is a lot more bitchy (yes that is a technical term). It scares the crap out of me every time I try to push it. But it's a hell of a laugh to ride.
    TL1000? You aren't alone....

Last edited by Garandman; 08-31-13 at 06:41 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Show me one person who has significant disposable income who lives in a trailer park. Not sure that's anyone's first choice.

Bitches love liter bikes.

Wheelies are fun.

Sportbikes drop panties.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    You're just digging yourself a hole.

Let people do what they want to do, you do what you want to do. Accept that people have different tastes.
    Don't you tell me what to do. You're not the boss of me.

Last edited by jwm2k3; 08-31-13 at 01:36 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345