Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

R1 jetting question

Littering and........

R1 jetting question

I picked up a 2001 R1 over the weekend (from Half Squid ), and it has a bit of a carburetion issue - it runs like dog shit above 7-8K RPMs. I imagine it just needs to have the carbs synched, but I wonder if the MIG pipe is messing things up as well....is a pipe like that too extreme (not enough back pressure) for the factory jetting?

I would honestly prefer to buy a stock exhaust if that were the case, but if the pipe isn't too much for the stock jetting than I would likely just leave it on there.

Anybody know?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

R1 jetting question

I have a 2000 R1 with a High Mount MIG and have not jetted it. I have about 20000 miles on it and it is fine. Try http://www.r1-forum.com
    for more info.

Nathan

Jetting

Hey bro, the rule of thumb has always been if you install an aftermarket exhaust system, the entire thing, not just a slip-on, than you should see the said exhaust manufacturer for jetting reccomendations. Chances are 9 of 10 times they reccomed going up a size or two. Also, does it have a power commander? If so, which map is loaded in to it? See the power commander site to look up jetting spec's too. But only if you have one on the bike.

Good luck bro!

Heath-

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

R1 jetting question

Power commanders are for FI bikes.
    Also, I assumed it was a slip on system like I have. These bikes have the EXUP valve in the exhaust header that controls back pressure. I have been told that with the stock header and a slip on jetting is not needed most of the time because of this valve. Maybe the valve is not working correctly???

I adjusted the air/fuel screws due to something I found on the R1-Forum. I didn't notice any difference.

Good Luck.

Nathan

um???

Um, the Yammy I sold to Clay who sold it to Chris(I believe) has a power commander. So that would be incorrect info bro. The newer ones that you can load maps in to are obviously for FI bikes, but I still believe you MAY possibly be able to find jetting reccomendation's for the 01 somewhere out there. Hit the site of the exhaust mfr and contact their tech supprot mailbox and ask. That's where I'd start. Google usually finds me what i am looking for. That forum Nate posted looks real good too! Great link Nate! I'm new to Yammy ownership, so you got any YZ426 type forums to share with me?

Hey Nathan, by the way, that wouldn't happen to be you beating the ever living hell outta the bike in your avatar? Cuz if it is, that's fuggin awesome dude! Sign me up!!!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Littering and........

Re: um???

Originally posted by gixxer6
    Um, the Yammy I sold to Clay who sold it to Chris(I believe) has a power commander. So that would be incorrect info bro. The newer ones that you can load maps in to are obviously for FI bikes, but I still believe you MAY possibly be able to find jetting reccomendation's for the 01 somewhere out there. Hit the site of the exhaust mfr and contact their tech supprot mailbox and ask. That's where I'd start. Google usually finds me what i am looking for. That forum Nate posted looks real good too! Great link Nate! I'm new to Yammy ownership, so you got any YZ426 type forums to share with me?

Hey Nathan, by the way, that wouldn't happen to be you beating the ever living hell outta the bike in your avatar? Cuz if it is, that's fuggin awesome dude! Sign me up!!!
    The Franken-bike in the avatar (the NESR whore that has belonged to gixxer6 and TheIglu) has some sort of trick ignition box, although I dont know that its a Power Commander? I'll have to look when I get home.....

I signed up for the R1 forum, thanks for the link. I'll have to behave over there, they seem to have some draconian rules about posting

Thanks guys!

R1 jetting question

Get the exup
    get it working best thing for the street

stock setting plus maybe 1 turn on the cables more open

better than fool exhaust system except maybe at maximum throttle at 10,500 rpms

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Littering and........

R1 jetting question

Originally posted by richw
    Get the exup
    get it working best thing for the street

stock setting plus maybe 1 turn on the cables more open

better than fool exhaust system except maybe at maximum throttle at 10,500 rpms
    The EXUP is the stock exhaust??

R1 jetting question

Originally posted by highsider
    The EXUP is the stock exhaust??
    Got me? Good question?

What is the "exup" anywho?

OH I BET I KNOW!!! It's a secret device that gives you like 300 rear wheel HP! Hey, HIGHSIDER, I WANT ONE TOO!!!!!!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

R1 jetting question

The EXUP (EXhaust Ultimate Power) valve is very easy to adjust on that R1, if you've got the service manual -- there are plenty of .PDF versions posted around the web.

BTW, I've got a never-used Factory Pro jet kit if you're interested, model # CRB-Y68-1.0 I traded the bike before I got around to installing it.

As seen here:
    http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody68.html

Service Manuals can be found here:
    http://yzf-r1forum.net/manuals/index.html

Last edited by ChR1s; 10-25-04 at 02:15 PM.
    A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

R1 jetting question

I also believe the bike sat for a while so the first thing to do is clean the carbs.
    I rode it on the track day and as the day went on it got progressively better and I suspect you have some old gas that has varnished itself and so partially blocking your venturi tubes

good luck

eat me

R1 jetting question

Check the airfilter for any rodents nesting in it.....

Dude I'm sooooo outta the loop.

So i get a rental car in White River Junction, then tow crap, spend days on the road like a lonely truck driver doing lines between all-nights East-West on I-40.........

Then Pooch goes HUGE with an R-1?

You wanna play with the BlackBird huh?

Highsider, do you trade everything in within months?
    DO YOU HAVE YOUR OWN LINE AT THE DMV?

Your married right??????????? LOL
    J/K -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Littering and........

Re: Dude I'm sooooo outta the loop.

Originally posted by Suf Daddy
    So i get a rental car in White River Junction, then tow crap, spend days on the road like a lonely truck driver doing lines between all-nights East-West on I-40.........

Then Pooch goes HUGE with an R-1?

You wanna play with the BlackBird huh?

Highsider, do you trade everything in within months?
    DO YOU HAVE YOUR OWN LINE AT THE DMV?

Your married right??????????? LOL
    J/K -Suf Daddy
    I shall spank your Blackbird like a red-headed stepchild.

Well, maybe not......