Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New R1 review

New R1 review

Conditions were ideal at Thompson yesterday. We were running the short course (Porsche loop) and my friend Aaron generously offered me a session on his brandy new R1. The bike has 600 miles on it, and has the race ECU tuned for minimum engine braking.

The bike sounds MEAN and it is in fact VERY aggressive on track. The first thing I noticed was how nimble and precise the bike is. I have never used the word precise to describe a literbike before. But this one feels decidedly like a real GP racebike. It rewards precise riding, and penalizes sloppiness. It lets you know everytime you make a mistake.

The second thing I noticed was the engine braking (or complete lack of it!) This felt very weird, and I am used to bikes with little engine braking. I think the difference is that this one is clearly controlled by the ECU. when you let of the brakes it feels like the engine surges ever so slightly and the bike feels like it accelerates. It is unsettling. I decided quickly that I needed to maintain a little brake ALL THE WAY to my acceleration point. I don't coast much, but this set up DEMANDS zero coasting. Brakes to throttle EVERY TIME.

The gearing is tall!!! second gear around Thompson and second gear is AGGRESSIVE. Let the revs drop a little and cracking the throttle is exciting to say the least. If your line is not precise and correct you will be recovering in the grass! It's something like trying to ride a caged lion. The bike just LEAPS forward. Be ready.

It is violently fast. I was having a hard time keeping in touch with the handlebars on the straight. I need would a stepper seat on this thing.

So, to summarize, the bike is a weapon. The potential is truly beyond my comprehension, but tapping that potential will not be done by any beginners or intermediates. This is an experts only proposition.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: New R1 review

Sounds like an awesome bike, way too much bike for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    ...has the race ECU tuned for minimum engine braking.
    I remember when I used to "tune" my EX250 to reduce engine braking. I'd set the idle to about 3500 RPM or so.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Sounds like an awesome bike, way too much bike for me!

I remember when I used to "tune" my EX250 to reduce engine braking. I'd set the idle to about 3500 RPM or so.
    Yeah, it's just like your 250 Roland!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

The new R1 is a complete beast at speeds. It's an insanely nimble bike that is also very easy to ride a la flick and transition movements compared to its heftier past iterations. The power comes on fast and hard, with the xplane crank just pulsating throughout the bike. One thing I would agree on as well is the engine braking, there pretty much is none or VERY LITTLE. I have dumped the gears many times and each time it is just AS SMOOTH as my flashed R6.

Great bike. I did see you rip it on track yesterday while I was sitting on mine in the pits spectating

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Equal Opportunity Asshole DroFiveOh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    fast and hard

49 states do it one way, and Massachusetts does it their own way.

Just saw the R1M at dealer. Tank is a work of art.

2013 ZX6R-636

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Saw my first "totaled" R1M the other day and it hadn't even been delivered. Apparently the crate had been damaged in shipment and when it was uncrated both sides had damage on the bodywork, the exhaust was scratched and there was a group of scratches on the frame.

Good looking bike though.

Hmmmmmm, wonder if the insurance company wants to let a "totaled" R1M go for short money as a track bike. After all it does have a scratched frame, that'll make it worthless.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!