Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Race Bike Insurance

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Race Bike Insurance

So i just recently found out that my Trailer coverage would cover the contents of the trailer, except for the bike. Because its a vehicle State Farm says it needs its own policy to be covered. The catch is that State Farm wont cover it because it is not registerable and used for racing. pretty sure my renters policy covers the bike at home god forbid the place burned down etc. Do any of you have your race bikes insured against loss? who do you go thru? not so worried about collision but id hate for the thing to be stolen, burned, flooded or damaged by an uninsured driver etc and be out a race bike with no coverage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Re: Race Bike Insurance

Get a full coverage policy for the trailer, that specifically covers contents. And add the racebikes to your home owner's policy with an addendum.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Get a full coverage policy for the trailer, that specifically covers contents. And add the racebikes to your home owner's policy with an addendum.
    It's an interesting topic for sure. I never thought of insurance on a bike. I tend to fuck them up before they get stolen or destroyed by a natural disaster.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What Gixer said.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    I have a full coverage policy with comp and collision on the trailer already. It covers contents, everything except the bike according to SF and they wont insure the bike on a separate policy because its unregisterable as a race bike.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    I have a full coverage policy with comp and collision on the trailer already. It covers contents, everything except the bike according to SF and they wont insure the bike on a separate policy because its unregisterable as a race bike.
    Do you rent or own? GEICO won't cover my dirt bikes on a motorcycle policy because they're not registrable, but they do cover them on a renter's insurance policy as "regular" personal property.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    My full coverage policy on the trailer covers ANY contents up to a certain dollar amount (I think I chose $60k). No matter what it is... bikes, gear, etc...

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

A lot of homeowners/renters policies will not cover motor vehicles as they should theoretically be covered by a motor vehicle policy. The issue is that when you try to insure an unregistered motor vehicle frequently the insurance company wont insure them. I believe there are some recreational vehicle policies out there to cover things like snowmobile/UTV/ATV etc. maybe something like that could be used for a unregistered race bike?

Oddest thing about this is if you have a $10k mountain or road bicycle they are covered by your homeowners/renters policy (if you have sufficient limits) but a dirt/race bike wouldn't be.

I'll be following this post to see if anyone finds a good way to insure an unregistered motor vehicle.

Foremost insurance specializes in this I believe .

Insurance Quotes: Home, Auto Insurance | Foremost Insurance Group

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post

Oddest thing about this is if you have a $10k mountain or road bicycle they are covered by your homeowners/renters policy (if you have sufficient limits) but a dirt/race bike wouldn't be.
    Its absolutely ridiculous. I have ~$40k (retail, I specified replacement cost new in my plan) of bicycles I keep inside my house insured for very short money, but no one will insure my $3k track bike that's in the shed. It makes no sense.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 11-21-17 at 10:19 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

try Lloyds, they insure anything, I recently had to use them to insure my house, now that I have a new roof, I can get back in the conventional insurance market

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    A lot of homeowners/renters policies will not cover motor vehicles as they should theoretically be covered by a motor vehicle policy. The issue is that when you try to insure an unregistered motor vehicle frequently the insurance company wont insure them. I believe there are some recreational vehicle policies out there to cover things like snowmobile/UTV/ATV etc. maybe something like that could be used for a unregistered race bike?

I'll be following this post to see if anyone finds a good way to insure an unregistered motor vehicle.
    Yup exactly the issue I've run into.

Wanted to refresh and ask whether anyone has had any recent success in the world of insuring race/track bikes? I have Liberty Mutual for auto and Traveler's for home owners and have run into exactly what several others in this thread have:

--LM won't insure the race bike for theft/fire/acts of god because it's not a registered road-going motorcycle (I pleaded with them to think of it as art and offered to sign an affidavit that I would never make a collision claim; also offered to take my 10 years of almost claim-free business elsewhere and am happy to if I can find an alternative).
    --Traveler's won't insure the race bike because it's a "thing with its own title and therefore separately insurable". Further, the bike is not garaged at my home (though near enough by), so it really defies homeowner's insurance reason.
    --The numbers simply don't make sense to go with the boutique insurers who specialize in insuring race cars and bikes. If you have a 4-10 bike team, it makes sense, but when I priced it, the policy for one bike cost more than the bike.

I've noted some of the other suggestions in this thread, but they don't match up with my facts at the moment. However, I may have a Sprinter/Transit-type van in my future, and then must again figure out how to guarantee coverage for a race bike inside an insured van.

Thanks.

Last edited by dhawks; 03-30-18 at 03:03 PM.
    /s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

why can’t you register a bike/race bike? i can see not being able to get one to pass inspection though.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Thanks, Tas. Can’t speak for everyone in this thread (but I bet some):

I would gladly register and overinsure it, but for me the salvage title presents a big hurdle.

(My bike, like many it seems, began life as one of those ridiculous insurance totals (e.g., frame scratch on a street bike), resulting in a salvage title, bought back for cheap and turned in a race bike. One need not even leave this forum to read about the experiences people have had trying to register a salvage title bike in MA — and that’s those that have been inspected to be road-ready. The bike couldn’t be further away from that.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767

Quote Originally Posted by dhawks View Post

I would gladly register and overinsure it, but for me the salvage title presents a big hurdle.

(My bike, like many it seems, began life as one of those ridiculous insurance totals (e.g., frame scratch on a street bike), resulting in a salvage title, bought back for cheap and turned in a race bike. One need not even leave this forum to read about the experiences people have had trying to register a salvage title bike in MA — and that’s those that have been inspected to be road-ready. The bike couldn’t be further away from that.).

Register it in Vermont?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by dhawks View Post

What is the difficulty in registering a salvage title bike? Is it not the same process as registering a bike with a clean title, or one with a lien?

Also, just because you get it registered, doesn't mean you need to get it inspected. If you were worried about insurance coverage if you crashed it on the street, yeah, I'd say get it inspected. But if you're worried about insurance coverage if it gets stolen out of your garage, I can't see how an insurance company is going to deny your theft claim because it's not inspected.

Last edited by number9; 03-30-18 at 10:00 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The experiences I’ve read (including posted on this forum) suggest that to register a salvage title bike effectively requires an eyes-on-bike determination of road-readiness by law enforcement or other arm of the state that looks a lot like an inspection.

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767

Can you register it as an ohrv, then insure it as such? Think dirtbike, atv, etc. How are those insured?

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Can you register it as an ohrv, then insure it as such? Think dirtbike, atv, etc. How are those insured?
    Up until about a month ago, my UTV has been insured as a 3rd vehicle on my business (commercial) auto insurance. But my agent that wrote all my personal and business insurance pissed me off on my homeowners, so I went to a new agency (2 days later the old agency begged me to come back)

My new insurance had no provision for commercial utv use, so I now have a personal "motorcycle" policy on it thru Progressive,

it was time to switch anyway, I am saving $600 on homeowners and over $1500 on my commercial liability, inland marine & vehicle

anyway, thru Progressive, I am covered both trail and street, cause it has legal registration for both

INSURANCE SUCKS

but finally, I have a company that isn't telling me to change my lifestyle,

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON