Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What race boots to get?

What race boots to get?

so after 3 wonderful sets of AXO boots, Axo decided to not only update the 2016 footwear line but discontinue the boot that I love so much.
    Since I loved the very first one I got, I havent shopped for boots in 4+ years. So not sure what is out there.

I was thinking the

1) Spidi XP-3 which looks very similar to the Axo boot

2) Sidi Cobra Air or Fusion (not sure on differences)

3) Alpinestar that everyone seems to have this year at the track (not sure on model)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: What race boots to get?

What size?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

10.5 - 11?
    does it matter? i think its pretty common size for a company to have it as a restriction

Sidi's top of the line are the Vortice and the Mag-1. Small step down is the ST.
    Alpinestars' top of the line is the SupertechR. Slight step down is the SMXplus.
    Everything else in their lines are a significant step down in regards to protection, and I would atick to those of you're racing. Sidi's tend to be narrower. My track boots are the SupertechR's and my everyday street boots are the SMXplus. Supertech's in general run one size large - my supertech's are a 42, all others Im a 43. (9.5 US size in regular shoes)

Last edited by MattR302; 09-18-15 at 08:24 PM.

My personal experience is Sidi's can be quite narrow in the toe area. I liked them but they became painful after a couple hours. I have the A* SupertechR now & they are really comfortable. In my experience the Sidi's were akin to ski boots while the A*s are more like snowboarding boos.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

I moved from sidi to Astar super tech because they were way more comfterble. Sidis were a bit narrow.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well I can't comment on all the models you're looking at, but when I was originally getting into track riding I was torn between the Sidi Vortice and the Alpinestar SMXplus.
    For the Vortice, I really liked the solid feel of the boot. Felt like it had the best protection and ankle support out of any boot I looked at. I also really liked the idea of a replaceable sole. The downside was that the boot wasn't too comfortable and seemed like it was going to be a pain in the ass to get on and off. Also, from what I recall it was considerably more expensive than the Alpinestar.

The Alpinestar fit me like a glove and was super comfortable. I also really liked how easily the boot slipped on and off. Slide your foot in, tighten the liner, zip up the side and you're all set to go. The Alpinestar doesn't feel quite as solid as the Sidi, but that may be the reason it is a little more comfortable and easy to move around in.

I also looked at the Supertech R, which is Alpinestars high end boot. I didn't like the boot / removeable liner system so I didn't really consider this boot.

I ended up going with the SMXplus and have no regrets. After 4 track seasons on my first set I wore a hole through the sole (I tend to stand on the sharp edge of the footpeg for grip). The boots survived without issue through probably a dozen crashes. When it came time to get a new pair this year, I didn't even consider getting anything other than the smxplus. My only wish is that it had a replaceable sole because if they did, I would still be on my first set. Other than that, seems to be the perfect boot for me and I actually like it better than some of the higher priced models out there.

Well, just my opinion, hope it helps.

LRRS #313

A stars ftw. All day comfy and I've had mine since high school in 08.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Love my Mag-1's.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    Well I can't comment on all the models you're looking at, but when I was originally getting into track riding I was torn between the Sidi Vortice and the Alpinestar SMXplus.
    For the Vortice, I really liked the solid feel of the boot. Felt like it had the best protection and ankle support out of any boot I looked at. I also really liked the idea of a replaceable sole. The downside was that the boot wasn't too comfortable and seemed like it was going to be a pain in the ass to get on and off. Also, from what I recall it was considerably more expensive than the Alpinestar.

The Alpinestar fit me like a glove and was super comfortable. I also really liked how easily the boot slipped on and off. Slide your foot in, tighten the liner, zip up the side and you're all set to go. The Alpinestar doesn't feel quite as solid as the Sidi, but that may be the reason it is a little more comfortable and easy to move around in.

I also looked at the Supertech R, which is Alpinestars high end boot. I didn't like the boot / removeable liner system so I didn't really consider this boot.

I ended up going with the SMXplus and have no regrets. After 4 track seasons on my first set I wore a hole through the sole (I tend to stand on the sharp edge of the footpeg for grip). The boots survived without issue through probably a dozen crashes. When it came time to get a new pair this year, I didn't even consider getting anything other than the smxplus. My only wish is that it had a replaceable sole because if they did, I would still be on my first set. Other than that, seems to be the perfect boot for me and I actually like it better than some of the higher priced models out there.

Well, just my opinion, hope it helps.
    Contact A* next time you wear through the sole. I've heard their customer service is really good. I believe they'll replace the sole for cheap or even gratis.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

I have a pair of Sidi Vortice which I love, but they are very narrow in the toe area and become uncomfortable after hours of riding. Check out the TCX line. Beginning of the riding season I purchased their middle of the road S Speed boot. They are built with a wider more comfortable foot bed. TCX only make boots, so they don't mess around when it comes to quality and safety.
    R-S2 EVO | Products | TCX Boots

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    I moved from sidi to Astar super tech because they were way more comfterble. Sidis were a bit narrow.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Check out Forma's stuff as well, I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Check out Forma's stuff as well, I love mine.
    holy shit that almost identical! i like that a lot.
    now to get the same deal that i have with AXO on them...

Alpinestars Super Tech R

Best boot I've ever had, and I've had a few....

Immediate comfort. The first time I wore them was on a 5 hour street ride. Never needed to adjust or remove them at all. Just awesome in every way!

I like my Sidi Cobras, but I wouldn't consider them a "race" boot by any means. Therefore, the Fusion, with even less support and armor is also out.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I have the vortice airs. The airflow is crazy. Feels like you're not wearing a boot. I have similar experience to everyone else though in that they are narrow. Looking forward to trying the Supertechs for my next boot.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    A stars ftw. All day comfy and I've had mine since high school in 08.
    ^ agreed. My SMX+(mid level) are still hanging around from 06, and I'll get them resoled and keep them around another decade. My current race boots(gen old Supertech) are just as awesome. If I needed to replace them right now, I'd be hard pressed to convince myself to get anything else...unless my foot became 1/2" narrower and I could fit into some Puma 1000's...bling bling.

Lifer

I've crashed Sidi ST Airs and TCX S-Race boots. Happy with the performance of both.
    I did my T9 tumbleweed impression in the Sidis. Broke some sliders, otherwise fully functional.

All of my crashes have been in entry level Sidi B2s from eons ago. Never had a foot or ankle injury, but finally KO'd them after my last crash. I'll be buying Sidi again.

Lifer

Who has the best selection of boot brands to try on? Seacoast or ?

I have the SupertechRs but I would like to get the SMX6 for the street. I know the SupertechRs run big as I'm a 10 & had to get a 9. Does anyone know if all A* boots run big or is it just the SupertechRs? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HRCfan1 View Post
    I have the SupertechRs but I would like to get the SMX6 for the street. I know the SupertechRs run big as I'm a 10 & had to get a 9. Does anyone know if all A* boots run big or is it just the SupertechRs? Thanks.

A* sizing is funny..one of the few brands i would never order online..or at least without trying a pair on. I have a pair of Super TechR in size 8 that fit me perfectly...my foot measures a 9.5 I also have a pair of A* Tech 8 lights and Tech 10 offroad boots, and both of those are size 10 and fit snug with a thick pair of MX sox on

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    A* sizing is funny..one of the few brands i would never order online..or at least without trying a pair on. I have a pair of Super TechR in size 8 that fit me perfectly...my foot measures a 9.5 I also have a pair of A* Tech 8 lights and Tech 10 offroad boots, and both of those are size 10 and fit snug with a thick pair of MX sox on
    Crap. That's not what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately there aren't many or any places around me that stock A* boots to try on. It's gonna have to be online. Hopefully someone with SMX6s can let me know how theirs fit.

Quote Originally Posted by HRCfan1 View Post
    See my post #4. I'm a 9.5 usually (sometimes 10 in Nike). My supertechs are 42/8, my SMX+ (and my A* Toucans) are 43/9. FYI, my Sidi Vortice, Sidi Adventures, and Oxtar TCX Evo's were also all 43/9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast