Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Racer from Chicago... considering New Hampshire

Re: Racer from Chicago... considering New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    yea the landlord wasn't trying to hide the fact that it's in a pretty industrial type area, but the big draw was that she's covering all the utilities, which in an uninsulated building like that is huuuge. and she's cool with me taking on a roommate if i wanted help covering costs.
    That sounds like a pretty decent deal. I'm not familiar with that area, but it looks halfway decent, if a little industrial. We know you took the job, but when do you make it official and become a NH-ite?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

I lived in a mill building in Nashua. It was awesome.

But they also had a parking garage with a secure gate to keep the toys behind.

Okay, it wasn't awesome. It was pretty good. There were some crappy parts too.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    That sounds like a pretty decent deal. I'm not familiar with that area, but it looks halfway decent, if a little industrial. We know you took the job, but when do you make it official and become a NH-ite?
    job starts on the 16th. i'll probably migrate east about a week or 10 days before that. 17 hrs, so it's a legit 2 day trip when you're driving alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I lived in a mill building in Nashua. It was awesome.

But they also had a parking garage with a secure gate to keep the toys behind.

Okay, it wasn't awesome. It was pretty good. There were some crappy parts too.
    yea this building has a fenced in lot/garage with a security gate as well. they might even let me keep my trailer in there, the landlord is asking the hoa.

and i'm a man of my word... gimme a couple weeks to settle in, then the drinks are on me! maybe i'll even smuggle a few deep dish pizzas across state lines for you guys

Last edited by greeny; 03-21-12 at 02:46 PM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The "bad" parts of Manchester are not nearly as bad as neighborhoods you'll find in Chicago. I've spent some time over by Englewood and the projects in Near Northside, the Manch "tree" streets are harmless in comparison.

I hate Chicago but, if they have a problem at the new place, I'll let you keep your trailer here in Epsom,, for a while,, with beer,,,and party essentials to be named later....

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    job starts on the 16th. i'll probably migrate east about a week or 10 days before that. 17 hrs, so it's a legit 2 day trip when you're driving alone.

yea this building has a fenced in lot/garage with a security gate as well. they might even let me keep my trailer in there, the landlord is asking the hoa.

and i'm a man of my word... gimme a couple weeks to settle in, then the drinks are on me! maybe i'll even smuggle a few deep dish pizzas across state lines for you guys
    All very cool news. Surefire way to get help moving in is to provide beer. After 2 days on the road, you might need both (help and beer). If you ride street as well, I'm sure there would be people readily available to show you some decent roads. There's pretty good riding to be had in NH, and by the time you're settled, the frost heaves should be gone. It was a pretty mild winter.

All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!

There's not one single area in Manch that I'd be afraid to walk around in with my children. Yeah, there's some sketchy areas, but gimme a break. Where isnt' there? I'd choose (DID choose) to live in certain areas. But there's not any particular areas that are 'scary'. Growing up and even now, there's not one spot around here I avoid. And it's a great little party area now, finally falling into it's own. It's not nearly as 'happening' as Chicago, but I'm guessing you're gonna love. Outside of the biking/racing cliques though, it CAN be tough to make friends. Peeps around here be all conservative & shit like that...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Did someone say 'dead hookers'?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Outside of the biking/racing cliques though, it CAN be tough to make friends. Peeps around here be all conservative & shit like that...
    Isn't THAT the truth! In 2 years being home with my daughter, I have made a total of TWO stay-at-home mom friends. One is friends with my sister-in-law, and one is my neighbor. People keep to themselves a LOT around here. Friendly enough, just not easy to really meet people. But, you have us, you'll be fine. Or damaged.

Lifer

4 years in and I still only know 2 of my 6 neighbors on my street. One of which I only met because she wanted my support to get a variance to build her addition. 'Welcome' indeed.

Isn't THAT the truth! In 2 years being home with my daughter, I have made a total of TWO stay-at-home mom friends. One is friends with my sister-in-law, and one is my neighbor. People keep to themselves a LOT around here. Friendly enough, just not easy to really meet people. But, you have us, you'll be fine. Or damaged.
    4 years in and I still only know 2 of my 6 neighbors on my street. One of which I only met because she wanted my support to get a variance to build her addition. 'Welcome' indeed.
    We're like, the friendliest people I know. In the nearly FIFTEEN years we've been up in Center Barnstead, there's one IMMEDIATE neighbor we've NEVER had a conversation with. We've tried like hell. On our road, there's only one other couple that live there year-round. In that same time frame, we barely spoke a word until that ice storm knocked power out for the week. I went down with some hot coffee for them and to offer 'em use of our ammenities. It was the first time in nearly 10 years we had a meaningful conversation. And yet another neighbor took us nearly 10 years to get to know - he's the only immediate neighbor we hang out with. It took us about five fuckin' years to get to REALLY know ANYONE around there! In fact, the first 5 or so years we lived up there, we spent many weekends in Manch just to have peeps to hang with!

We're like, the friendliest people I know. In the nearly FIFTEEN years we've been up in Center Barnstead, there's one IMMEDIATE neighbor we've NEVER had a conversation with. We've tried like hell. On our road, there's only one other couple that live there year-round. In that same time frame, we barely spoke a word until that ice storm knocked power out for the week. I went down with some hot coffee for them and to offer 'em use of our ammenities. It was the first time in nearly 10 years we had a meaningful conversation. And yet another neighbor took us nearly 10 years to get to know - he's the only immediate neighbor we hang out with. It took us about five fuckin' years to get to REALLY know ANYONE around there! In fact, the first 5 or so years we lived up there, we spent many weekends in Manch just to have peeps to hang with!
    along those same lines, In our neighborhood,w e are friendly with everyone (but not really friends with too many). I have been to my immediate neighbors' houses (on each side), because one is a SAHM and she had me and the kid over for coffee a few times, and the other is a mechanic who was seriously injured a few years back and has helped us out with our dog in return for us helping him with some other things (and he and Rob get along really well and like to fix things together).

Other than that, we know some people, but not terribly well. Two roads over is a girl I was friends with in high school, and we have become friends with her friends, but honestly, never would have if it weren't for her and my connection in the first place. We still travel to hang out with people fairly regularly.

And, not to brag, but I think Rob and I are pretty darn personable IRL.

There's not one single area in Manch that I'd be afraid to walk around in with my children.
    daytime, sure, but how about after dark?

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    daytime, sure, but how about after dark?
    Yup. Any time of the day or night, any area. It's ONLY Manch ferchrissakes. I've walked through every part of this city at all hours at one point in my life or another. It amazes me how some people get so whigged out about it...

Yup. Any time of the day or night, any area. It's ONLY Manch ferchrissakes. I've walked through every part of this city at all hours at one point in my life or another. It amazes me how some people get so whigged out about it...
    Maybe I lived there long enough that I saw a lot more going on than the average person passing through.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Huh, I know most of my neighbors pretty well. There's some that are very private, but on my street, I know 8 out of the 10 families, and a few on the other streets around me. Probably because I walk all the time.

Lifer

I walk too. Bri just says I'm anti social.

We had a basketball hoop in the driveway when we moved in. One day two kids came over and wanted to use it. I told 'em 'no'. In my defense I was about to leave and wasn't sure how I felt about strange kids alone in my yard without supervision.

But then a week later I broke out the sawsall and cut the thing down.

So she might have a point...

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-29-12 at 05:04 PM.

Maybe I lived there long enough that I saw a lot more going on than the average person passing through.
    I dunno. I lived in & around Manch for 30 years (I was literally born on Taylor St) and our shop that I go to all week is still there, smack dab on Elm St. Fuck, what little high school I attended, I did at West High. I'd say that's a bit more than just passing through...

I dunno. I lived in & around Manch for 30 years (I was literally born on Taylor St) and our shop that I go to all week is still there, smack dab on Elm St. Fuck, what little high school I attended, I did at West High. I'd say that's a bit more than just passing through...
    Fair enough. I grew up in Brentwood, moved to Manchester as a young adult and maybe am still not over the shock. Also had something stolen or broken into almost every year I was there.

A friend of mine had a guy stabbed on her car a couple years ago.

All the wannabe thugs of nh moved to manch thinking it's the closest thing to a city we have. There are parts that would make me uncomfortable walking alone at night but shit there are parts of every town that would give me the same heebies, I can bet.

That being said, anyone going to be at the rover tonight?

Fair enough. I grew up in Brentwood, moved to Manchester as a young adult and maybe am still not over the shock. Also had something stolen or broken into almost every year I was there.
    A friend of mine had a guy stabbed on her car a couple years ago.

All the wannabe thugs of nh moved to manch thinking it's the closest thing to a city we have. There are parts that would make me uncomfortable walking alone at night but shit there are parts of every town that would give me the same heebies, I can bet.

That being said, anyone going to be at the rover tonight?
    Yeah, I hear ya all. That shit goes on to some extent no matter where you are. It just continues to crack me up when people STILL play Manch as the big bad city. It's actually come a long way, even FINALLY starting to cater to the young professional crowd...

I hear that! I moved outta my parents' house (Bedford) when I was 17 (and I still knew everything) and got my first place in the city. I was introduced to the city by going to West High, but NOTHING prepared me for actually LIVING there on my own. Less than five years later, I bought my first house in the south end - I liked it THAT much. Funny, as a youngin' I couldn't wait to get there. As an adult, I couldn't wait to get the hell outta there!

Remember:
    The Salty Dog
    Boston Trading Company
    O'Donnell's (La Cantina)
    Golombs Market
    Arthur's Fruit
    Sully's Superette
    Service Merchandise
    Treisman's
    concerts at Arms & Veteran's Parks
    keg parties at Stark Park

ahhhhhh...the times...

Lifer

I never had anything stolen or broken into when I lived in Nashua. But I lived in fear of it constantly.
    I also got harassed by local law enforcement that were no doubt cornered into treating me the way they did because of my neighbors.

It just isn't the way I want to live. Not if I have a choice. Manch is no different in my eyes.

ha! I been at my current location 30 years, moved into town 33 years ago. It's only cause I do land use permitting for a business that I have got to know so many people

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast