Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RADAR DETECTORS???

Question RADAR DETECTORS???

just wondering who's running what and why....

Cheers,
    Lyman

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1978 XR 80
    1989 NX 250
    1998 748 DUC

RADAR DETECTORS???

I have a Valentine, and love it, well worth the money, the range may not be quite as good as a BEL, Passport, or even a Cobra had one of them once, and my biggest complaint was the range, It picked up Ka a lit further than it needed to, If I have 3/4 mile warning, I'm happy, just roll off the throttle, the Cobra, would sometimes go off over 2 miles out, in hilly twisty terrain, they all work about the same.

The advantage to the V-1 is the forward and rearward sensor, range from behind is as good as forward, very important, most traffic LEO's are either running dual or multi-directional guns lately.

an alarm that tells you there is Radar signal somewhere is helpfull, but not as helpfull as one that tells you where the signal(s) are coming from, and also tells you how many different signals you are getting.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

RADAR DETECTORS???

I have a V1 in my car, which is overkill in the car, but it's awesome.

At some point I'll attach it to my bike, where I actually need it.

I think the people who say the Bel or whatever is better are just envious of the V1. I haven't seen a real test yet where any of them beat the V1. Oh but if you want your radar detector to have more buttons than a PC keyboard and talk to you like an obnoxious bitch, don't get a V1.

Ben

RADAR DETECTORS???

The OTHER advantage of a V-1 is the phenominal level of service that you get from Mike Valentine if you need repairs or upgrades

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I Dance With Will

RADAR DETECTORS???

I heard it before on some other email list that V1 is top of the line you can get, but one thing no one had mention was the price. V1 is like what well over $300?

"fuckit!"

RADAR DETECTORS???

$400 plus another $60 for the remote adaptor so you can plug an earphone in.

Another thing I might mention, I have got mine WET , freeking soaking WET several times, although it stopped working once it got wet, (usually getting a false rear laser alarm continuous ), withing a day it would be dry and working perfect again, if it just got wet, a mile or 2 blast at 100mph or so would dry it out.

I have never sent mine back, I will be though this winter for updates, mine is 3 years old now, I have crashed it and dragged it on pavement, they are rugged, magnesium case instead of plastic

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I Dance With Will

RADAR DETECTORS???

it'd better be that tough for that much money.

what about legal stuff. what happens if yougot nail and your radar is still beeping when the fuckin LEO walks up to you? say you got surprise because they don't turn on the laser guns until you got close enough. how big a trouble will you be in?

"fuckit!"

RADAR DETECTORS???

they usually laugh and tell you that radar detectors don't work as good as their radar, nothing they can say, they are legal everywhere in the US expect DC & VA, they are big time illegal in most of Canada.

the Radar detector has never caused me any problems in any stops, If I happen to cross into Que. then I stop before the border and stow it, I have heard stories that when crossing into Canada, if they are nice they will destroy it, (evedence) if not, you are subject to a $10,000 fine.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

RADAR DETECTORS???

Everytime except one that I've gotten caught with a radar detector I reached up and grabbed it and hid it under the seat before I pulled over. They never seemed to have seen me do it, but obviously it is a little risky, and you'd never get away with that on a bike.

One thing I've been told by numerous cops is that you're never going to get a warning if you have a radar detector, because they assume you are a repeat offender.

One other thing... LED taillights from certain new cars seem to set off the V1's laser sensor. Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy to be particular, but it's only at very close range when they hit their brakes so chances are it won't happen unless you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Mine is almost 4 years old and has never been sent in for an update though.

Find someone rich to give you one for an Xmas gift.

Ben

Last edited by benVFR; 12-06-02 at 10:02 AM.

RADAR DETECTORS???

One thing I've been told by numerous cops is that you're never going to get a warning if you have a radar detector, because they assume you are a repeat offender

I would have to disagree with you on that one, my actual experience has been otherwise, and theres no question, my DEtector is in plain site, I have even got warnings for speeds in exess of a ton, with the detector visible and beeping away

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

RADAR DETECTORS???

Originally posted by RandyO
    One thing I've been told by numerous cops is that you're never going to get a warning if you have a radar detector, because they assume you are a repeat offender

I would have to disagree with you on that one, my actual experience has been otherwise, and theres no question, my DEtector is in plain site, I have even got warnings for speeds in exess of a ton, with the detector visible and beeping away
    Yah well that's the Old Guy rule, it trumps all the other rules.

Ben

RADAR DETECTORS???

The main Laser target on a car is the licence plate and head-lamps. Has anyone gotten a LASER ticket on a bike?

1978 XR 80
    1989 NX 250
    1998 748 DUC